New War of Infamy Mods Released!

Rebar

April Fools right?

:huh:

Ok, we have to delete all of the other WOI stuff correct, when the next mod is released (PT and MP), will we have to delete this version of WOI also?

Downloading them all now, just a matter of uninstalling and re installing. :wacko:

Edited by Zantar45

Ok, we have to delete all of the other WOI stuff correct, when the next mod is released (PT and MP), will we have to delete this version of WOI also?

No. You will need WOI 2.4 active to run PTO. WOI-MP is a stand-alone mod that will only need DS and IT to run.

Amazing pack, congrats to the whole dev team. :thumbsup:

Thanks for getting the mirror up Rocky. It was a pleasure as always working on a project with this scope.

Interested modders for WOI will find multiple environments set up for each of the custom maps I made with different lighting schemes.

I just played the first map on the airfield as DAK...WOW!!! That was intense, fighting off tanks every which way, and the old pr0n was a nice touch!!

Where are the WOI mp servers? 2ndSS doesn't play GR anymore <_<

Edited by Mamon

I got everything installed last night and took a crack at afrika korps desert rats mission....WOW!!!....beautiful map...I was amazed at the beauty of the German airplanes (ME 109's, I think)...this mission was tricky...you are riding in the back of a jeep to start and have to use a "bazooka" to nail two fighters tring to take off...actually the first flies right over your head and then there is one on your left...its tricky getting the first and then swinging around to get the one going down the runway on your left...damn reticles! :P ......great mission/map..can't wait to play the rest...guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!!! :o=

No offence but not too many clans even play with WOI anymore so why keep making it?

There is not only MP! :nono:

Thanks WOI developing team!!! :thumbsup:

Agreed. :P There are a lot of us that still only play single player and have just as much fun as the MP, CO-OP crowd. Thanks W.O.I. modders for all the great SP content. :thumbsup:

No offence but not too many clans even play with WOI anymore so why keep making it? :unsure:

I asked myself that same question when making Frostbite. Raven Shield came out and I thought to myself... Why am I even bothering? There are a lot of people including myself that are glad that I finished it.

To answer your question regarding production on War of Infamy which is a fair quesion by the way. We made a promise to cover all of the theaters of the war. We're just making good on our promise for our own sake. I can tell you honestly from my own persptective that I didn't get involved with this project to satisfy MP clans. It is a part of the mod, but I always worked on other areas like levels, design concepts, historical research, and things of that nature. My part and input has been due to a love for the representation of WW2 on the GR engine.

If everyone had that kind of attitude you would see professional sports teams fold constantly. Why even bother playing if you haven't won a championship?

Why should any modder make a mod for GR since there are new games out and GR2's release is suspected to be on the horizon?

Those two examples are just simple analogies but there are many more.

We started WOI with the intent to have it cover each of the major theaters of operation for WW2. Regardless of popularity or use we as a team wanted to see these done and wanted to fulfill our goals. WOI is one of the largest, if not the largest, games/mods in terms of scope and amount of ww2 content available. As developers thats a significant landmark and it's also a legacy we'll always privately enjoy.

Totals to date (numbers might increase due to 2 expansions still in development)

----------------

6 Countries

37 Military Divisions

90 Uniform Types/Variants with gear

92 Weapons

38 Vehicles

Edited by DonMiguel

Excellent job as always,but I do have one concern.It seems that the Axis weapons are still much more accurate than the Allied ones.At very long range the germans still hit you with one or two shots while you have to unload a full clip at range just to get a kill.If the allied weapons of world war 2 were as innacurate as this then I think we would all be reading Mein Kampf now.All in all though the detail in these mods is just astounding.

if you look at the values you'll see they are the same on all bolt rifles. SMGs are very close if not the same. and the Bren is far more accurate in a support role the the German MGs.

Not sure which allied weapons you're thinking specifically. If the M1 Garand, it is a notch down from all the bolt rifles, but a small notch. Without bending reality much at all, gameplay considerations have to exist. If the Germans using Kar98ks had to fight M1 Garand users that had the same accuracy and the greatly increased ROF, it'd be pretty unbalanced between em.

Speaking on AK specifically though, the first statement is true. The accuracies for the Enfield and Kar are the same. There is some difference in recoil and recovery though. The most noticeable difference in the ROF on them, the Enfield is a bit faster, so in a shootout the Allies actually have a slight advantage in a bolt vs bolt fight.

Edited by DonMiguel

If the allied weapons of world war 2 were as innacurate as this then I think we would all be reading Mein Kampf now.

I think that statement is not well thought out. While the ground combat in WW2 was extremely important at the tactical level, there were way too many other factors occurring world wide to even remotely consider it. It's extremely difficult to simulate this on the squad level in this engine. All you are seeing is a microscopic picture of the greater scheme of things that was happening world wide.

The Brits had a tough time in North Africa. Logistically, the Germans overstretched themselves and didn't have enough supplies to continue a thrust to take Alexandria and Cairo. That is known as the 2nd battle of El Alamein. This loss happened a few months before the second front was opened in Morocco by the Americans. Take a moment to think about how this affected the German strategy. Now they were at risk of getting cut off from the west and didn't have the supplies or manpower to continue a thrust for the Persian oilfields and into the Southern Flank of Russia. Rommel continuously complained that he never had enough to get the job done but Hitler had his mind set on Stalingrad. North Africa was always an afterthought for him.

My point here is that the German military enjoyed a tactical advantage early on with superior technology for the time period. Eventually logistics and manpower cost them the war. Once Air Superiority was gained by the Allies it was all but over for the 1,000 year Reich.

Can someone explain why Afrika Korps doesn't have normal anti-tank weapons? I have never heard of any kind of "anti-tank rifle" being used at all during WWII. Besides just the historical aspect, these weapons are next to worthless when actually going up against armor in-game. You can only hit with them while prone, and even then you tend to have to hit the tank three or more times to destroy it. Sometimes you can't destroy it at all. What gives? Is there some trick to using these things? Given the propensity of the scenario designers to pit you against multiple panzers, you would think they would provide you with something to actually get the job done. I'd rather have a bazooka any day of the week, but they aren't even available in the kits. Instead, I have to watch my squad get hosed down time after time by the coax MGs on the panzers, because I have nothing to stop them with. This is in all other respects a superb mod, so I don't understand the reasoning behind handicapping players with useless AT weapons... :wall: