Starting a new mod- is it worthy?

Streinger

As the topic title partly explains, I'm wondering how worthy it is to start a new mod project (for GR), with GR2 in the pipe? <_<

Especially some ambitious mod that would include plenty of new features (maps, characters, weapons..) but has no chance of being completed in under 6 months (and could take up to a year or more)...? :(

Opinions, advice..anyone?

i think that is a question most modders are asking themselves the last couple of days. to be honest, i am personally not sure how to proceed. maybe you could start doing the research and basic modding and may later decide to switch to GR2.

but i also think the answer to your question will be a lot simpler when we get some 'real' news about Ghost Recon 2 and its release date. ( not to mention the modding side of GR2 )

good luck with your decission, i am still not sure how to proceed with modding for Ghost Recon.

The problem with starting a new mod at this time is it may take a long time to complete. By then GR2 may be out. And there may not be the ability to swap you GR1 stuff to GR2. With the probably exception of weapons and character models.

Even if Ubisoft say its gonna be out for Xmas, how often have games slipped back 3, 6 or even 12 months !!! :yes:

Na, mate - start a new Mod for GR :thumbsup: I for one have several projects in the pipeline that will keep stuff been produced for 6+ months min.

I make Mods for the fun factor, and WHEN (and if) GR2 comes along I will rejoice. But Im not holding my breath yet ! ;)

I think you should continue making mods for GR. I totally agree with Blakarion. Most of the times the games are launched several months after the previously release date. Also, I suppose GR2 will be launched first in USA and I'm sure it will take some time to be on stores in Europe (where I'm included :whistle: ) So go ahead... make your mod :D

Cheers

Well I sure as hell am going to continue modding, I've got two huge mods in the works right now for GR(not to mention mods for Soldner, HL2 I'm working on :P ). These two will take months to come out. After SWEBAT and The Civil War, I have a great idea for another mod...don't worry folks, they'll keep rolling off the assembly line :yes:

gr2 is coming out, but, look how long it took for us to get that answer.

now, how long to do u think its gonna be, for it to be relased, then delayed, then finally released?

id say atleast a year, maybe a year and a half.

i got a mod in the works, so its not like i wont play it

or the guys at work wont play it.

i gave one guy 3dsmax5 and were gonna mod the hell out of it

hes learnin how to make maps right now too.

Even though I might not want to admit it because I want it sooner......f'n new guy might just be right.

But in the meantime please work on mods. There is no reason not to start another project or other projects out there not to be completed. I for instance am very interested in DYNACOMP. And there are other mods suppoed to be coming out. Anybody looked at the screen shots for white skull valley?

I think thats what its called. :unsure:

Brazilian Special forces still have some characters to do, plus the campaign is already being scripted......depending on the release date on GR2 and its modding features we might convert the files to work on GR2.

Does anyone have any kind of info concerning GR2 Modding?

i dont think anybody outside of Ubi, (and maybe even the Ubi people themselves) dont know anything about how "modder friendly" GR2 will be.

it is just my personal belief that Ubi, Ubi is not very Mod-Friendly. (I think GR was the first game in the Tom Clancy series that came out in the Ubi name tag. previously, it was Red Storm Entertainment which was bought by Ubi) starting with GR, we've seen features that "discouraged" shall we say, modders from doing their work. i mean, it has all the "activate mod" features, but it doesnt have the "stuff" to go along with it. GR had it's SDK released shortly after it's release, but weapon modders had to limit them selves b/c we could only have a lmiited amount of weapon combinations (I.E., i couldnt have a M4/M203 combo, or even a M4 with an unsilenced M9). RvS, we've been told the SDK would be released a LONG TIME AGO, but still no avail. (ive given up RvS a long time ago)

i say, start your mod. not only cuz your work is great, but b/c Ubi probably wont do anything "modder friendly" for a while

Thanks for the words of support, guys...

Let me just tell you then that I will continue with the mod as planned. Once some major parts of the mod are completed, I'll open a new tread to start posting regular updates about the mod's progress. So far, I'll only say that the project is quite ambitious, as we (the team) intend to make it a total conversion that will include new maps, new characters, new vehicles, weapons and a MP compatible campaign.