Co-op tournaments

*NexuS*

What we want to see in this thread is the ideas you have for tournaments. Not full on mission concepts, but the general ideas. Do you want to see a tournament that develops into a full campaign? Linked stories? Non linear missions?

It can be anything...spaceships and hamsters ( as seen at GR.NET ), absolutley anything. There's no garuantee that you'll get what you want ( bit like Santa ), but if we don't know, then we can't do it.

Let us know, maybe you'll see it soon ;)

Sarty's big list of stuff:

[*] DS maps?

[*] Non-Stealth objectives, dear god, I miss the good old days were shooting bad guys was a good thing. (Yeah, sorry)

[*] Linked stories? Hell yeah.

[*] Gimping NC gets you extra points. :whistle:

Ok so its not a big list of stuff, but it wants to be when it grows up.

I agree. I want to kill terrorist not let them live. They don't deserve that much.

Major assaults.

Mines.

Demo objectives.

Ambushes.

Ambushes on your platoon.

Intel Gathering.

POW rescue.

Stuff like that.

They story don't matter just make it relevant to the tourney so you aint just going through pointless missions.

• Balanced scoring so that everybody can enjoy taking some points home.
  • Very tough final objectives that only the best teams can expect to complete - on a good day :devil:
  • Extremely well tested missions
  • A nice mix of stealth and blow the crap out of everything missions
  • Well put together briefings including screenshots for either atmosphere, or hidden clues :ph34r:
  • Solid dedi's to play on

A decent compromise, as I see it, with landmines would be the introduction of non-lethal trip signals or something.

Maybe like something that would make a noise and thus attract an enemy patrol to the location of the signal (by which point the player's team would hopefully be long gone, but the enemy would be on their tale). Or mines that wound but don't kill, how about that? :P

Non-Linear missions, like in the first you didn't destroy al the armour therefore that team playing in the second mission will have to face armour backup, but if another team took them out in the first, they won't have the problem in the second. It might be a little hard of the scripters as there are some many random possibilites. Just a little thought... ;)

One thing I would like to see more of, but saw in the SSL and looks like we'll see in SR 2004 was:

-Custom Maps

-Not knowing what map the mission is on (or very little about it)

-A dynamic element such as a small added objective as a result of some sort of reaction to the team completeing objectives that we would not know about ahead of time. An example would be SR 2003 mission #1 where the extraction zone changes at the last minute as an example and you have to fight your way back through the city.

-As CQB fan, I wouldn't mind seeing some more urban types of maps used ( I know there aren't many stock urban maps though, but a custom one would work to.

-It would be cool to see the need for a cooridnated attack on two different objectives simultanously. It would be really challenging trying to get two teams working in different areas of the map cooridinating an assault.

-Time based objectives. For example, you have to get objective one complete with 20 minutes or a bomb goes off or something.

-I also thought the thing that [bAD] did where we had to do our own recon of the mission was really good as well.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

Non-Linear missions, like in the first you didn't destroy al the armour therefore that team playing in the second mission will have to face armour backup, but if another team took them out in the first, they won't have the problem in the second. It might be a little hard of the scripters as there are some many random possibilites. Just a little thought... ;)

Greetings!

That's one I've heard discussed but have yet to see, a great idea! :ph34r:

Non linar missions would be there first thing I'd like to see. Easy enough to get creative with. But imagin this. A team VS team with a huge cooperative component to it. 2 opposing companies on map with objectives for each team that conflict each other. Stealth would be needed to creep around the AI that will fend off the other teams objectives, while blowing up other AI that oppose your own objectives. This can be an elimination type tournament, ... points would be tricky to figure out but still doable. I imagine this type of game play can have all components to it, .... Stealth, Gunning, and the unpredictable nature of a human opponent.

I'm adding one to me list Nexus, here's the full thing with the new item

• Balanced scoring so that everybody can enjoy taking some points home.

• Very tough final objectives that only the best teams can expect to complete - on a good day :devil:

• Extremely well tested missions

• A nice mix of stealth and blow the crap out of everything missions

• Well put together briefings including screenshots for either atmosphere, or hidden clues :ph34r:

• Solid dedi's to play on

• A competition newsletter mailed out to Team Commanders regularly. The news letter could contain Rule changes, Rankings, Slot confirmations, important reminders etc.

The newsletter would add quite a bit of workload to the organisers, but for the teams in the competition I think it would rock to know that you would be e-mailed updates and not miss out on anything. The main thing would be to inform teams of interesting or important updates or clarifications that perhaps previously would only have been picked up by vigilant teams scouring the competition forums.

It is alot of work though, and asking teams to check the forums isn't a big deal really - just and idea to mull over ;)

[*]A competition newsletter mailed out to Team Commanders regularly. The news letter could contain Rule changes, Rankings, Slot confirmations, important reminders etc.

The newsletter would add quite a bit of workload to the organisers, but for the teams in the competition I think it would rock to know that you would be e-mailed updates and not miss out on anything. The main thing would be to inform teams of interesting or important updates or clarifications that perhaps previously would only have been picked up by vigilant teams scouring the competition forums.

It is alot of work though, and asking teams to check the forums isn't a big deal really - just and idea to mull over ;)

Greetings!

But that newsletter might negate the opportunity to once again watch a hilarious team replay, where they completely misunderstand the briefings and start shooting everyone "stealthily". :ph34r:

Me again with another idea!

At between 12-6 hours before a team is due to insert, the team captain receives an e-mail from the assigned grader confirming the

1. Insertion Time

2. Game IP

3. Comms IP

4. Method of contacting the grader (icq/e-mail/msn)

:thumbsup:

Some ideas from my adled pate.

1) Stealth missions that really are stealth missions. If its a "peace through superior firepower" type mission please let that be known in the briefing.

2) Objectives that make sense and are in proportion to the number of troops attempting them. We can only insert the max of 9.

3) Make the mission so that its the same for all teams taking part and thereby fair to all teams.

4) Scripters to download SR2003 Mission 1 "Grozny" for a look see at how, IMHO, a logical mission runs.

5) If mines have to be used, script it so that the bad guys don't walk through their own mines. Mines are equal opportunity weapon systems.

6) If a 'sandtable' mission has been made by the scripter, please release it to all teams.

7) This is suposed to be a Spec Ops mission. By all means unleash hell when an alarm sounds or an explosion is heard but placing the 3rd Shock Army around the objective would really only call for an abort. This allows for stealth on the way in and a firefight as you try to "echo, echo" back to the extraction. This has the double bonus of keeping both the 'sneaky' and the 'pyromaniac' teams happy

8) Make the points relative to the objectives.

Thank you to any and all that host co-op tourneys.