Ghost Recon.net Forums

Best Special Forces ever would have to be the....

just incase anyone wants to know or doesnt know, the NightStalkers were the guys in the sky in the BlackHawkDown movie.

That was a real thing you know, and the actual Nightstalkers were there.

It's kind of ironic that we're all talking about this even though we have no freaking idea what these people do. Each unit has their own unique capabilities that they provide for their country. The last time I checked, there wasn't a competition going on. None of us knows a ######### thing about any of these units besides what they show us on TV and the net.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just incase anyone wants to know or doesnt know, the NightStalkers were the guys in the sky in the BlackHawkDown movie.

That was a real thing you know, and the actual Nightstalkers were there.

It's kind of ironic that we're all talking about this even though we have no freaking idea what these people do. Each unit has their own unique capabilities that they provide for their country. The last time I checked, there wasn't a competition going on. None of us knows a ######### thing about any of these units besides what they show us on TV and the net.

well duh, i doubt anyone is under the missconception that BHD isnt based on real events. Are you sure none of us know anything about SF other than what we see on tv or the net? or is it just general gripes aka the usual "if you werent there, you cant have an opinion"?

Trying to compare all of the world's different 'special forces' units is... well, kind of stupid to be honest. (which never seems to keep it from turning into a lively debate anyway)

The thing you have to realize is that most 'special' units are designed from the ground up to serve a specific function, and perform a very specific type of mission. Saying which one is the 'best' doesn't make any sense, because each is the best at what it is designed to do.

If you asked "What unit would be the best at going into enemy-controlled territory and rescuing a downed pilot?" Then that's a simple answer - Air Force ParaRescue. But if I wanted someone to take out an enemy command center, smash everything and get the hell out in a hurry? Then the Air Force guys are not the ones I'd call.

Make sense? If you want to ask more specific questions, then we can have a real discussion, but asking which is the 'best' just doesn't fit the subject matter.

Trying to compare all of the world's different 'special forces' units is... well, kind of stupid to be honest. (which never seems to keep it from turning into a lively debate anyway)

The thing you have to realize is that most 'special' units are designed from the ground up to serve a specific function, and perform a very specific type of mission. Saying which one is the 'best' doesn't make any sense, because each is the best at what it is designed to do.

If you asked "What unit would be the best at going into enemy-controlled territory and rescuing a downed pilot?" Then that's a simple answer - Air Force ParaRescue. But if I wanted someone to take out an enemy command center, smash everything and get the hell out in a hurry? Then the Air Force guys are not the ones I'd call.

Make sense? If you want to ask more specific questions, then we can have a real discussion, but asking which is the 'best' just doesn't fit the subject matter.

but isnt your post just discussing whos the best as it relates to one military?

But if I wanted someone to take out an enemy command center, smash everything and get the hell out in a hurry? Then the Air Force guys are not the ones I'd call.

*gasp*

So the USAF 12th Missile Squadron (you know...the guys with ICBMs) cant do that? :(

just kidding.. :thumbsup:

Ok..just a bit from me.

In US nomenclature, "Special Forces" only denotes United States Army Special Forces. Hence the guys wearing the Green Berets AND long tabs. SEALS, PJs, Rangers...are NOT Special Forces. They are Special Operations Forces. All under JSOC.

For the rest of the world, Special Forces and Special Operations Forces are generally the same.

About the question...

Gurkhas are NOT Special Forces. The Gurkha Regiment is a line regiment.

Out.

P.S: Oh yeah. @CSmith:

If you use ICBMs, there will be no "get the hell out in a hurry" element there. Would it?

Out.

Edited by xG5kdo
In US nomenclature, "Special Forces" only denotes United States Army Special Forces. Hence the guys wearing the Green Berets AND long tabs. SEALS, PJs, Rangers...are NOT Special Forces. They are Special Operations Forces. All under JSOC.
:huh: thats what i said :blink:

None of us knows a ######### thing about any of these units
well some of us do anyway, not all. my 1sg was sf, and one of my other friends was in the 173rd Airborne and my closest friend was in fast company and a recon sniper. so yeah i know a few guys. Edited by F'n New Guy

Been thinking about this and though they are not an SF unit, they still should deserve some recognition...they being the Swiss Guard.

Here's a unit that is the world's smallest and perhaps most colorful army, has been the chief protectors of the pontiff. Clad in Renaissance helmets and blue, red and yellow tunics (the colors of the Medici family) that are said to have been designed by Michelangelo. For routine work, the guards wear blue uniforms and berets.

While much of the work of the present day guards is ceremonial, they are responsible for the security at the Apostolic Palace, the papal apartment and the four main entrances to the Vatican. They are also in charge of the pontiff's physical safety when he travels outside the city state.

The Swiss Guard currently consists of a total of 100 men: 4 officials, 1 chaplain, 23 noncommissioned officers, 70 halbardiers, and 2 drummers. The halbard is the traditional weapon carried by Swiss Guards. The members of the Swiss Guard reside in a barrack in Vatican City. They serve for two years, with the possibility of extending the period to a maximum of 25 years. During this period they receive training in self-defence, attend shooting practice, take course in Italian and study the organizational structure of the Vatican. At the end of the first year they must take a very thorough exam.

Guard recruits must be Roman Catholic men of Swiss nationality who are single, under 30 years old and stand at least 5-feet, 8-inches tall. Guards need to have completed their initial military training in the Swiss Armed Forces, and obtained a certificate of good conduct from an ecclesiastical and a civil authority.

The interesting thing is that the halberds are not for show..but can kill someone skilled with it and yes..they get training on how to use them. Besides those, they also carry some nades (mostly flashbang, CS and/or smoke) and a side arm (I'd wager it's concealed under the breastplate). Ok, granted they are small and arent the SAS, SEALs or even the Speznatz (sp..apologies) but still worth the recognition as an interesting, yet probably bad axe unit.

they dont wear the special forces tab,

its "not" an argument joker.

theyre apart of the navy and are an elite unit of the navy.

Naval Special Warfare Development Group taken from your

JSOC page

People still use the name 'special forces' to describe special operations.

The interesting thing is that the halberds are not for show..but can kill someone skilled with it and yes..they get training on how to use them. Besides those, they also carry some nades (mostly flashbang, CS and/or smoke) and a side arm (I'd wager it's concealed under the breastplate). Ok, granted they are small and arent the SAS, SEALs or even the Speznatz (sp..apologies) but still worth the recognition as an interesting, yet probably bad axe unit.

Yep they're pretty interesting. And historically, one of the groups sought after for merc. work due to their reputation of standing strong til the last man goes down. In fact theres a historical story, i forget the date but its way back there, when the swiss halberdies (sp?) (no not their offical name) held their formation and position as dragoons charged and picked them off one by one with guns.

Edited by Kewl
None of us knows a ######### thing about any of these units besides what they show us on TV and the net.

Bit of a sweeping statement there mate but I do agree that this "who's the best" is major league BS.

• 3 months later...
I'd have to say South Korea probably has a good SF team (if they do) seeing as their normal army recruits keep training even when they have broken bones. Maybe the Isrealies....

Yeah, they do. The Korean special forces and regulars alike earned a fearsome reputation in 'nam.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/S...a/Default2.html

http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/Vietnam/allied/ch06.htm#b4

most SF units in the world are badass and theres not much between them really is there....in reality UK and US SF are the ones id want to help me if i was in trouble.

[cough]

SBS

[/cough]

No one is the best SOF in the world.

There is specific types of missions, techniques and enviroments that some units are specialized in.....therefore that unit is the best in that specific type of mission.

USMC marksmen are known as the best scout/snipers and i know for sure that israeli snipers are among the worst.

Some teams are great at underwater demolitions, like the SEALs, some are great at CT Ops like the SAS and the Brazilian Army Jungle Brigades rule the Rain Forrests.

Delta Force Operators would never attack and secure an area like the Rangers would.

The Sealous Scouts from Rodhesia are known for they tracking skills and ect, etc, ect.

So no one can say this team is better than this, or this one is the best, but you can say this team is the best at this type of mission.

So its like compare apples and oranges..... :thumbsup:

rangers arent really special forces theyre elite,like royal marines or paras.

USMC snipers the best?force recon maybe close but marines arent SF.

Some people might not like it and it might be boring but if we are talking the best then you have to take into account the significant amounts of money that get spent on western SF.but delta force and the SAS , aussie SAS can do anything and win they are masters of virtually every trade, SAS were the original and some countries have the money and equipment to copy that quality exactly and maybe even surpass it.(US and Australia for example).

SAS were the original and some countries have the money and equipment to copy that quality exactly and maybe even surpass it.(US and Australia for example).

my a.rse we have the money!

Our boys, especially SAS, are all screamin for more money, but the stupid hippies that swing the votesthis way and that wont allow it <_<

:rant:

rangers arent really special forces theyre elite,like royal marines or paras.

USMC snipers the best?force recon maybe close but marines arent SF.

Some people might not like it and it might be boring but if we are talking the best then you have to take into account the significant amounts of money that get spent on western SF.but delta force and the SAS , aussie SAS can do anything and win they are masters of virtually every trade, SAS were the original and some countries have the money and equipment to copy that quality exactly and maybe even surpass it.(US and Australia for example).

The Army Rangers are under the command of USASOC and SOCOM, and are a special operations regiment.

The new( and very little known) MARSOC Detatchment One is the Marine Corps. first foray into the Special Operations field(Under SOCOM). Seeing as how they are bred from the best of the best in Marine Force Recon..I'd says they were the best.