massive file editing tool

Operator

Uhm...guys? :unsure: I just tried to use both programs and I'm totally lost over this. All this \, * # etc. is chinese to me and I don't get it from the help files. :wall:

I just want to change the value for the skills of the regular guys (demo, rifle, HW, etc), if you had any hint to direct me that would help alot.

Thanks again!

Hmmmm.........I've been doing it the long way as well, but I've removed all the extra regular guys so that I only have to change 12 files, instead of 100 :blink:

But then again, I'm doing this in my own mod....which I suggest you make your own mod folder as well. Does this help? :huh:

Edited by Blackalliance

Hum...not a a bad idea at all! I don't need all these guys, so I could cut down a little. I'm working slowly towards understanding the tools, so if my patience runs out, I'll know what to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

--Thanks for mentionning it, but I, too, made a mod folder. I know the rule-Never mess with the original files!

Edited by Operator

Well, this looks like what I was trying to do. I didn't thinker around much with the codes and thought it be pretty straightforward.But, unlike what you tell me here, I didn't click OK. Instead, I was going out of the advanced edit menu to the main menu and clicked on the little sheet with two arrows icon...Not too dumb, uh?

:stupid:

Anyway, thanks for this, I got it working right. But I didn't do it on Origmiss, I did it in a mod folder.

In the process, Ia lso trimmed down my pool of soldiers in all four categories. So my "mod" features a limited number of boosted troops. Problem is, when I activate it, the game "fills in" the roster (which originally contained hundred + of names, versus my reduced pool, which barely contains 30) with standard soldiers and replace the ones I put in my mod with my boosted soldiers. Am I totally losing you over this? Well, my question would be: how do I command to the game to pick a roster exclusively in my boosted roster, and not a mix of standard and boosted? Is it even possible?

Thanks to everyone, your help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hmmm.......how did I make that work?...........Iit's been awhile and I don't recall complications. Ok, yeah, I kinda do what people tell me not to do. I do not suggest this, but I'll briefly go over it. Take the original file, with all original soldiers in it and move it or rename it - just remember where it is or what you named it. Take "your" file and put it there or, I believe, you can leave it in your mod folder and only your guys will show up during the planning screen. You got me thinking about how I was doing things weeks ago when I didn't really have a clue to what I was doing. I really don't feel like changing things around in my Ghost Recon files and it's mostly because I have forgotten excactly what I have changed and how I did it. I must have 50 pages of my own notes from the beggining, but there's quite a few pages of "chicken scratch" that takes me a minute to figure out what I did. I would go Jack 57's route as it looks simpler. In fact...........wow.......I've been wasting some time doing things the long way, but I guess thats how you learn sometimes. :blink::wall:

I just read Jack 57's post below and I believe he is totally right. I had some crashing problems. At one point I thought my video card was going bad so I actuall went out and got a better card, which was nice. Yes, have teid my own shoes around my neck and tried to run the mile in under 5 minutes with the Ghost Recon engine. I'm still learning and enjoy it......I think. :unsure:

Edited by Blackalliance

Well, my question would be: how do I command to the game to pick a roster exclusively in my boosted roster, and not a mix of standard and boosted? Is it even possible?

Not possible AFAIK. GR will always select the from the total number it has originally. If you remove some it will crash it. Best way would be to duplicate yours until you have the required number ie: 76 rifleman, 59 demolitions, 60 heavy weapons, and 40 snipers.

Operator, if your interested, I've done some other simple things that are intersting. Some stuff by accident, turns out really cool (as far as soldier camo and colors go) throw something in my message box or e-mail me if your interested. I'd like to make a small 5-mission mod to see if it's worth making a larger campaign. If Ghost Recon 2 is coming, I may wait for that first.

Happy huntung

--Jack57: Big thanks, I did just that and it works perfect. I'd rather had these boosted skills in a mod. First, I had boosted the Origmiss files, but then I had some problems (unrelated) and reinstalled GR and promised myself not to touch Origmiss files this time.

--Blackalliance: I know exactly how it feels to learn by trial and error! Not so long ago, I made my first attempt at skinning using a trial version of Photoshop. Nothing really complicated, just a desert boonie skin, but it was quite a load of work when you consider how many mistakes made in the process!

As always, thanks guys!