Red Hat 9 and Win XP sp1

Alright, take it easy on me, I'm a n00b. :)

I'll be installing RedHat and Win XP hopefully tomorrow on my new HD.

I have a few questions.

I have a 120GB HD on the way... I want 10GB to go to Linux, 10GB to Win XP, 50GB to HD Space for Linux and 50GB HD Space for XP.

Is it easier to partition with XP first? Then move on and install Linux? Or, is it easier to do it vice versa? I understand that XP and Linux wont be able to see eachother or the other Space for each... so, what's the ebst way to start.

Also, can someone gently how explain how to partition in both OS's during installation? I have the basic concept, but what I really need is a conversion chart. So I know EXACTLY what numbers to enter to end up with so many Gigabytes.

TIA

Nice! Someone else moving to Linux.... or at least part way. :) I would install linux first (partition using "cfdisk") and setup linux and windows. Then just install XP to the correct partition. I believe (not entirely sure though) that cfdisk has a partition type for windows. As for distributions... have you considered others?

I'm using Debian right now (harder to install and setup but awesome so far).

Knoppix is also based off of Debian and has great hardware support and can even run completely off the CD. You can also install it to the hard drive. Lemme know if you need more help. Good luck. :)

WOW more linux noobs :D

I have just spent the last week installing and playing with Red Hat 9..

First off definately leave windows on and partition the disk in windows.

The easiest way i found (did it on the 3 comps here) is to make free space with no ext3 partitions.

So you have windows partitions and then unpartitioned space.

Install Linux using the cd's (3 of) make sure you ask to use Boot Loader (LILO is best IMO), Automatic partition with option "leave file sytstem intact and use free space" this way it will install linux on the free space you provided and set it up nicely... :rolleyes:

Add LILO to MBR at end of install and your cooking on gas.

I now have 3 comps dual booted with XP and RedHat9, On the Network i can access windows and linux :thumbsup:

PREPARE FOR PROBLEMS.

I have an Nforce 2 mobo with 9700pro graphics ... EEEK

ok Nvidia have there heads screwed on here. IF you have any nvidia hardware the nvidia drivers are so easy to install. BUT the default Kernel does not support AGP8X .. you will need to manually patch the kernal with the NVGART file.

I also notice you use a 9500pro.......... I STILL have not got full support with my 9700pro. Major probs when ATI drivers are installed and im still looking for answers.

IF you do use your lan then i suggest downloading all the Linux drivers on xp and transfering to disk, This way when your lan doesnt work you dont need to keep swithcing.

Goto Nvidia.com and get the .tar.gz file at the bottom.. The others WILL NOT WORK (2 days to find out).

Hope all this helps as im a nOOb to linux aswell, Im doing an online course to help but cant access it through linux ... LOL .. For some reason i cant get Java Plugin working :wacko:

Also the easiest way to partition the disks is to use Partition Magic 8, Use boot disks and the whole process takes about 15mins Then 45mins Installing Red Hat.

Good Luck and send me some feedback :thumbsup:

Once it's installed you'll probably want to read a book about linux. I'm almost finished with one called Linux Installation and Administration.... more for an IT person at a business but still very useful. It explains the X window system, the different folders and what are inside (that was a little confusing), plus all the commandline stuff. GL. :)

edit: Shadow- I would give knoppix a shot for your Vid Card problems. You can download it (one cd) and stick it in the drive and boot from it. Knoppix is known for having excellent hardware autodetection. Then you just take out the cd, reboot, and it has done nothing to your system. If you like it then just install to hard drive. :)

Edited by firefly2442

Thanks Firefly but im sticking with REDHAT, The whole course im doing uses it so i may as well.

The problem is not Hardware detection. It finds my Radeon NO PROBLEM. The problem is installing the new ATI drivers. OPENGL just will not have it. Apparently ALOT of people are having this problem wether it be Red hat, Suse, Mandrake or other Linux system..

They should take a leaf out of Nvidias book.. I got Redhat working on my kids comp with a GF4-TI4200 and Unreal 2004 runs fantastic.. :D

Ok Ruin i have found out the problem for the ATI driver.. Its the fact i have used the UP2DATE facility to update redhat. I am now on kernel 2.4.20-30.9 when the default disc kernal is 2.4.20 and working on a fix round it.

I know this because i have just installed the ATI drivers on the kids pc and it runs SWEEEET

So before you make the same mistake i thought id give you the nod :thumbsup:

Here is the correct way to install them (ignore ATI read me)

Make sure all Nvidia Drivers are installed escpecially nvgart

To check this "cd cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.20" and then "make menuconfig"

scroll down to "Character Devices" select it then scroll to " /dev/agpgart (AGP Support) " you should now have "Nvidia Chipset Support"

Once you have all this in your system you can then install the ATI Driver.

Download the ATI Driver "fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm"

unpack from command terminal like this

"rpm -i --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm"

This will then inform you to run "fglrxconfig" DONT

use CTRL-ALT-F1 to exit Xsystem

type root and then your root password

then "init 3" this will take all graphic programs off line

then type this

"cd /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod"

"sh make.sh"

"cd .."

"sh make_install.sh"

"fglrxconfig" <----- Answer all info as needed

"modprobe fglrx"

"reboot"

Now all your files should be working properly use "fglrxinfo" to make sure OPENGL is installed (should say "ATI RADEON") and "fgl_glxgears" to benchmark (useless really)

Sorry for this waste of a post if you all ready know this but it took me long enough to figure it out and it will save you some :wall:

Thanks guys.

I asked my CET teach. He said to install Win XP first. So I'll do that.

@Shad, I had no idea about ATIs, thanks for the info! :)

We'll see what happens *gulp*

I'm only going to partition 60GB in NTFS for windows, then I'll do Linux.

Wow... umn.

LINUX ROCKS! :) I love it... cept the forums are warped... sorta... wierd.

Anyway, I'm adapting, but it's only 10:30PM. :) I'm working on the ATI thing. I think I can figure it out... and, AFAIK, Win XP is good to go!

@Shadow, I may need you again, so be looking for me online, lol.

@Shad...

"[ruin@cm-68-112-22-210 ruin]$ rpm -i --force fglrx-4.3.0-3.7.6.i386.rpm

error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages

error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)

error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm"

Any ideas while I wander off to sleep?