Computer Problems

OsM_Prodigy

i think this is gfx card related b/c it only started happening after i installed my Radeon 9600 XT.

well, when im playing most of my games, (save UT2k4, Star Wars: KOTOR and some other) my computer will either lock up and i have to improperly shutdown or itll just restart in the middle of a game.

so if anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. if any further info is required in order to help me, just let me know.

hmmm.. seems it didnt work too well after all. Battlefield 1942 froze up on me last night again. any other reasons as to why this may be happening? someone told me it might be my ram, but i have about 1 gig of it :P so it cant be that. maybe my dad installed it wrong or put the wrong kind in. who knows. so what do you guys think?

@ghostie, how would i go about doing what you suggested?

Need to go into your bios screen. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have it will display different options. in one of the sections you should see something that will enable you to manually adjust your cpu voltage, your ram voltage and your agp voltage. I have Intel so my default was at 1.525. I now have it at 1.625 and my system is stable. I was crashing all the time when it was set at stock and having a 9800xt in there. But every computer is different so you may need to only adjust it .025 above stock.

You need to list your system specs so that we can help you a little more. what kind of processor, motherboard, ram etc.

heres my specs:

2.4 GHz Pentium 4 Processor

1 GB DDR RAM

Windows XP Media Center

Radeon 9600xt

not sure how i would figure out what motherboard i got. but this comp is an HP.

there's your problem, you got an hp. j/k.

might have to get a better power supply. If it can fit in that hp case. get the latest bios for that system first. You won't be able to fiddle with the voltage settings if it's an hp. not sure if a new power supply will fit too. I had an hp before and there was hardly enough room in there to stick my finger in. How'd you manage to stick that 9600xt in there?

probably off the HP website. just look for bios updates or something. have to copy it on to a floppy and flash the bios from there. That should give you an up to date bios. If it works after then it was because your bios was out of date. If it doesn't then maybe it's your power.