A .50 Handgun

Gordo_Viper

Ok, logically think about this.

Its a pistol, you wont be using it in medium range, just short.

Now tell me the difference between me shooting you in the head once with a 9mm, and me shooting you in the head once with a .50.

The .50 leaves a bigger hole?

Now tell me the difference between me shooting you in the head once with a 9mm, and me shooting you in the head once with a .50.

Oh about $1-$2 difference.

Would it be a good idea to keep it cocked n locked in your holster?

:P

Cink mate agree there, oh and you only get one shot as well, not like you have a mag with .50 rounds.

Guess it'd be useful for hitting large game at close range and thats about it.

Apparently you aren't thinking logically enough. Ever heard of silhouette competitions or handgun hunting? People take shots with handguns at anywhere from 50yds - 300yds or even more. Just cause it's a handgun doesn't mean it's inaccurate and unable to be used at long range, but it is more difficult to be accurate with one.

As for that handgun specifically, it has a nitrogen based recoil dampening system from what I understand. No idea what the true felt recoil is, but it would be just the ticket for grizzlies or cape buffalo if you're daft enough to hunt them. Also, It could introduce the concept of 500yd handgun silhouette or target shooting. :) This thing is not meant for self-defense by any means.

Consider this: a .50 BMG cartridge is overbore (more powder than can efficiently burn in the barrel) in a standard rifle-length barrel (24" or so).

The barrel can't be much more than 6 inches on that pistol. You could use a .50 cartridge with half the powder of the BMG and not lose any power, because all that excess powder is burning outside the muzzle. Even for the longest silhouette shooting, this thing is ridiculous and even dangerous (though undeniably cool). If I had a .50 silhouette pistol, it would be in .50 Peacekeeper or Whisper or S&W; a short barrel just can't use much more powder.

Mob, a bit of that can be counteracted with faster burning powders. How much faster? No idea, but enough to gain better burn rates within the barrel without causing explosive tendencies. It may have more powder to burn than a normal pistol cartridge, but even they can gain velocities from rifle length barrels. I wonder just how much velocity that big cartridge loses in the short barrel.

all ready a 50cal desert eagel isnt there??

Certainly, but the description ".50" only takes into account the bore of the ammunition. Just as two 7.62 ammuntion types exist (Soviet - 7.62x36 and NATO - 7.62x51 (I think :) )) one very different to the other, the description of .50 can be misleading. Look at the ammunition on display with the pistol in question. That is long ammunition, way too long for a magazine-fed pistol. We both know that the .50 Desert eagle is a magazine-fed weapon, so it is looking increasingly unlikely that the pistol fires anything from a magazine as the grips look too puny to cope with such large ammuntion.

Secondly, the gun is huge enough to house the large .50 round. It is clearly a single.shot weapon, therefore, the Desert Eagle doesn't even enter the equation.

Nicley pointed out, though.

The S&W was a .50cal, but it was a standard length pistol cartridge, similar to the .44mag and .45 Colt/.454 Casull in length. It would have nothing on a .50bmg chambered pistol, as the one pictured above is. It was on display at the SHOT Show from last month (I believe). Anyway, it is the real thing.

Grandfather gave me a live .50bmg tracer round that I keep for display on my desk, also have an inert 20mm round. I can get some comparison pictures between these and few other cartridges if anyone was interested. That handgun would definately not be cheap to shoot... .50bmg rounds run approx. $5/each commercially. You can decrease it by handloading, but not by much.

Sorry. i didnt think about it in a hunting matter.........

###### are you going to hunt with that?

anything that you can get close enough to shoot it with, the round would destroy, anything that would be big enough to take the round(mind you it would still f* the carcass up to hell), the shot would be innacturate.

anymore ideas?

Why do you keep referencing short range and inaccuracy. Just because it's a handgun doesn't mean it has to be used up close nor than it can't shoot dime sized groups. This hangun can easily reach 200 yards and probably be fairly accurate due to the firearm/cartridge design.

As for the game animals, already mentioned them earlier. Terminal performance on the game can all be controlled through bullet construction. On most game that big, you need something that penetrates, expansion isn't needed since the bullet is so big. So, a monolithic solid would be a perfect bullet type and would basically just drill a hole straight through the game, not tearing it to pieces.

So, a monolithic solid would be a perfect bullet type and would basically just drill a hole straight through the game, not tearing it to pieces.

....and through a few trees and probably into another animal off somewhere nearby. :lol:

It makes sense that it could/would be accurate to a distance unless they made the .50bmg plinker for 50yards or less target shooting? :huh:

Marcinko, no I haven't. But my estimations are easily based of similar single-shot handguns firing less powerful rifle cartridges. If you care, you can check out the Thompson Center Contender and Encore or even the Remington XP100 (m700 bolt action handgun). They can easily reach 200 yards if not more and they aren't using a cartridge with as much steam as the .50bmg.

Zantar, so true. No more than any other cartridge used in this role though. Some guy hunting in Africa recently told how he took a Cape Buffalo with a .45-70 and a cow behind it dropped. Killed both in one shot. Someone needs to practice being sure what's behind their target. ;)

Ok, so how accurate is it at 100 yards?

can one hit a area about 5"x5"?

Lets us not foret the topic, a .50 handgun, complaining about 9mm lethality, i took this post to be, a .50 out shoots a 9mm, and who would use a 9mm for hunting, maybe small, small game.

it seems un practical to hunt a large animal with this weapon.

iron sights only work up to a certain distance, mount a optic, and the firearm is begining to weigh more than a 30-06.

I don't think this is something that was made to be practical. It's one of those things thats made because it can be and it looks cool to have.

I use a savage pistol in 7mm-08 for deer and woodchuck hunting it works great and is lightweight. I can consistentaly hit woodchucks and deer to 250 yds. My average 100 yd 3 shot group is 1.56 inches.

Did i mention it has a scope and bipod.

i shot a .45 454 casull, it had a scope on it, but the kick

(as i watched the first few guys fire it) kinda scared me,

so i held it off to the side and point shooted.

i felt the recoil go down my wrist and into my forearm.

iirc the guy said he can hunt bear, big bear with it.

iron sights only work up to a certain distance

im pretty good up to 300m, my grouping is within a nickel,

a dime, on a very good, warm and non-windy day.

Did i mention it has a scope and bipod

someone tell me why, you want to shoot a pistol with a scope and bipod???????????

Edited by F'n New Guy

Did i mention it has a scope and bipod

someone tell me why, you want to shoot a pistol with a scope and bipod???????????

exactly!

how many accesories does one need, until the pistol turns into a rifle.

its impractical.

its one of those things, like a pool, if you have extra money, you buy it and try it out, till then you go to the local swim club, or in this case, use a damn rifle.

Ok, so how accurate is it at 100 yards?

can one hit a area about 5"x5"?

Lets us not foret the topic, a .50 handgun, complaining about 9mm lethality, i took this post to be, a .50 out shoots a 9mm, and who would use a 9mm for hunting, maybe small, small game.

it seems un practical to hunt a large animal with this weapon.

iron sights only work up to a certain distance, mount a optic, and the firearm is begining to weigh more than a 30-06.

Ah, finally something I can step in and talk about. 9mms are quite effective against most targets. Hollow points for example.

I went hunting with a friend who had an MP5 once (don't ask why) for jackrabbits. They're pests around here, and you can shoot as many as you want. Anyway, we would just sit in a field and shoot at them as they ran away. I tell you what, if you hit a jackrabbit with a three round burst, those things exploded. If all three rounds hit them, you'd get chunks of them hitting your car. 9mms are not good at all for hunting small game, trust me. Maybe with some FMJs, but most rounds just blow them up. Small game is better hunted with a .22 rimfire rifle. I personally think a 9mm would be better suited to taking down something a bit bigger then small game, maybe more like I don't know, maybe really small deer. I'm doubtful you'd want to, but you maybe could.

And that .50 pistol is whack. :wacko: