Ghost Recon.net Forums

Hello again all,

It's been a while since I've been on here, sorry. We've been burried neck deep in making Ghost Recon: Jungle Storm for the nGage the best mobile game yet! I can't _wait_ to be able to show it all to you.

Just a few more weeks. As soon as Nokia officially announces it (should be in early April) be sure that I'll notify you all here.

Forget anything you ever thought you knew about Mobile Games. GR:JS on the nGage is looking to raise the bar for what people expect in 'large scale' mobile gaming productions :)

Just a couple more weeks and I can take this lid off.

More soon.

-MoOk

Forget anything you ever thought you knew about Mobile Games. GR:JS on the nGage is looking to raise the bar for what people expect in 'large scale' mobile gaming productions :)

Sounds very interesting! Make sure your promo guys send us a copy :thumbsup:

Sounds very interesting! Make sure your promo guys send us a copy :thumbsup:

And a nGage to play it on :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Some electronic stores that have Ngage displays let you sometimes try the games on them. If you did get a promo copy, you might be able to ''persuade'' them to try it out with a fiver.......er....euro?.....uh.....monopoly money.. :D

Hello all,

It's not much, but the first screenshot of GR has been leaked so I can share it with you here.

http://www.n-gagefrance.com/breve.php3?id_...&id_rubrique=44

Note this is from an old build so some aesthetic changes have been made since this was done. The interface is different, there is a hand holding the gun now (sorry GR purists...), etc.

As more shots come out be sure I'll let you know.

-MoOk

Edited by MoOk

can you guys fix the graphics?

i don't like what it looks like so far well im not convinced about a hit for it yet im waiting for it on ps2 so my ps2 gets some action it got plenty of SOCOM

that gives me another N gage idea

: HINT: im a video game junkie i know the quallities a game needs graphics mostly good sound STABLE INTERNET!!! connection and other factors

Make jungle storm a big hit anyways how much can you guys fit in the Ngage memory chips in the games?

oh well enough questiong for now i think

It doesn't look too bad as far as the graphics go, and I'm not too bothered regarding the hand on the gun. I remember the days of the original gameboy, and as long as the game play is good, who cares much about the graphics?

Does anyone here in the comunity own one of these Nokia N Gage.

Whats the price of them

how much is the service per month

how is the Mp gameplay

I live on the east coast of US. Unfortunatly there does not seem to be any local providers that support N Gage. And the hefty price of 199-- dollars doesnt help. IMO there needs to be a pre -paid plan, and there has to be be a guarantee that you you will get service. Any input or advice will be much apreaciated :thumbsup::thumbsup:

All,

I realise the nGage is a little bit of a mystery to some of you, and perhaps a bit of a joke to others. I figured I'd try to point some details out about this device.

The nGage is Nokia's 'hybrid' mobile phone that was meant to cater to the growing wireless gaming market that is becoming more and more important to various handset manufacturers worldwide. Mobile gaming is a huge growth industry right now and a lot of money is being pumped into this industry.

Nokia took it's most powerful cell phone series (Nokia Series 60 -- similar to the powerful Nokia 3650 and 6600) and added some features to it to turn it into a gaming deck.

They then tried to market it (in North America) as a competitor to the GBA -- and that's where they made their big mistake (imho).

The nGage isn't a GBA and it will never be priced as such. The GBA does one thing -- plays games (and it does that very well). The nGage does much much more, and as a result of all of the added functionality the price point increased as a result.

Because the nGage runs the Symbian smartphone OS some very powerful software has been written for it (much of which is available for free or very cheap). I've seen people using their nGages as universal remote controls (thanks to bluetooth). I've seen people plugging in GPS modules and using their nGages to run mapping software as they made their way around new cities.

And, of course, I've seen people using their nGages to play many many games. On top of the games made specific for the nGage (www.n-gage.com for a list of some of the previously released titles) there are literally hundreds of excellent games written in J2ME for the Nokia Series60 platform that you can purchase both from your carriers (AT&T or TMobile or Cingular) or from web portals. Take a look at www.gameloft.com or www.macrospace.com. Games like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time or Macrospace's 'Ancient Empires' are excellent games and are available for a fraction of what you might be used to paying for your gaming (~5$ for most S60 games). This massive and ever expanding library of excellent mobile games shouldn't be discounted when deciding if an nGage is right for you. None of these 5$ games will be as advanced as Ghost Recon is, but there is a lot of great gaming to be had here.

So, when you take all of the good features of the nGage into consideration (phone, web browser, email, mobile IM, mobile radio, watch ripped TV shows and movies, play games, run other powerful software, etc) the price point of $200 should hopefully become a little less discouraging.

Now, that isn't to say the nGage is perfect. Far from it. This was Nokia's first major step into the gaming market and they made mistakes. There are form factor problems (switching games on the MMC cards -- the medium that 'rich' games like Ghost Recon come on) can be a real pain, for example. However, there are rumours circulating the net right now that point towards a potential nGage succesor coming out 'soon'. I can't help but assume Nokia will correct many of the form factor and design problems that plagued the initial nGage launch if this succesor rumour does indeed prove to be true. Nokia is a smart company and they are obviously dedicated to the nGage platform even despite an initial launch that perhaps was not as succesful as they had hoped.

I'm not expecting to turn all of you into instant mobile gaming converts, nor am I expecting you to pre-order an nGage just to play our game. However it was always important to me to keep the Ghost Recon community involved as much as I could with the development of this game and many of our design decisions were influenced by what we thought would be important to Ghost Recon fans who made the leap into mobile. I'd hate for you to miss out on a game that we made with many of you in mind simply because of a confusion or concern about the underlying technology.

I hope this post helped a little and cleared some stuff up. If you have further questions about the nGage I'll try to answer what I can.

In the mean time I will continue to post here as new media regarding Ghost Recon for the nGage is released.

All the best,

-MoOk

Thanks for the info - very interesting. Most gadget fans will be aware of the shortcomings of the ngage (game swapping and the phone - "I hold it how?!") but like you alluded to - if these are addressed in new model, and the games keep coming through, then the next model would probably be a real breakthrough for Nokia.

I'm just dying to try out GR after seeing those screenies!

I just don't see the point.......I can't see it having a future :rolleyes:

Phones with games are just a gimmick that you soon tire of and IMHO it currently has no identity or place in the gaming world. Indeed, even if Nintendo had conceived the platform it would have still bombed, but probably sold more because of the brand name. Whatever did happen to Nintendo's Game Boy Camera? :whistle:

Nokia admits to disappointing N-Gage sales

23/02/2004

Jorma Ollila admits that sales of Nokia's game deck aren't what they might be.

Finnish mobile phone giant Nokia has given the first official indication that sales of the N-Gage game deck are not living up to expectations, but says that the platform must be given until November 2005 to prove itself.

"The sales are in the lower quartile of the bracket we had as our goal," said Nokia chairman and CEO Jorma Ollila, speaking to the Financial Times - the first time that the company has admitted that sales of the device have been lower than expected.

However, Ollila says that the N-Gage has to be given until November 2005 - two years after its launch in autumn 2003 - before the success or failure of the platform can be judged properly.

It's expected that at least one new version of the N-Gage hardware will be introduced before that date - possibly as early as next Autumn - although the platform will remain backwards compatible throughout.

The announcement comes after months of speculation over the actual performance of the N-Gage at retail. Nokia has refused to give sales figures for the device - only shipment figures of 600,000 units have been announced - and as most videogame market research firms target game stores only, not mobile phone retailers, accurate sales figures have been impossible to estimate.

....and

"News in this morning proves to be something of a knock for Nokia's N-Gage efforts in the US, as GameStop confirmed that the handheld 'Game Deck' will be reallocated from some 450 stores owing to poor sales. They're not dropping it completely, but it certainly doesn't bode well.

With the current iteration of the N-Gage flagging then, rumours are already abound that the Finnish firm will introduce a new version sooner rather than later, something suggested by the company's Ilkka Raiskinen in MCV: "Our hardware cycles are different to what the games business is used to and our strategy is clearly to have more devices."

....also

"Nokia have finally confessed to what we all suspected any way, that N-Gage sales are indeed lower than the Finnish mobile giant had hoped, with Nokia chairman and CEO Jorma Ollila confessing to the FT that "sales are in the lower quartile of the bracket we had as our goal". This is the first admission from the firm that things aren't going quite to plan.

The platform's future is still open despite the poor start, with the N-Gage given until November 2005 to prove itself, and it is widely predicted that at least one new iteration of the hardware will debut in this period, and such a 'deck' might be capable of breathing new life into the concept by righting many of the original N-Gage's wrongs. A second generation of the N-Gage hardware would almost certainly be backwards compatible, thankfully.

Quite how many N-Gage's have been sold to date is a mystery, with Nokia proving coy on the concrete figures front, but we'll be sure to monitor this situation as it evolves."

DS

I just don't see the point.......I can't see it having a future :rolleyes:

Convergence, that's all it is - it's gonna happen.

As Gameloft have already discovered - it has a huge future. Who would have thought texting would take of like it has? Not me, I still can't even get the hang of it, dang numbers are too small and have 3 letters each argghhh. And don't even start me on predictive text. :wall:

People need phones, and if it comes with cool games, and an mp3 player, and web access too.... it's what the consumer wants, they cannot get enough of phones right now.

Convergence, that's all it is - it's gonna happen.

Yes....perhaps.....maybe. "Convergence" yes! one day. I read in PC Gamer how the future of the console is grim, because the PC is the stronger more versatile platform and how there will indeed come a time when the consumer will use this box of tricks to watch and record TV, play games, surf etc. etc. In fact my old French teacher at school predicted such household technology. Currently I have no need or use for a large fridge with a built in TFT TV which doubles as a "you're-out-of-milk reminder", nor do I require a water resistant phone/tv/mp3 player in the shower! Not yet anyway. IMO they are just gadgets.

Timing plays a huge part in any product's launch, so too does a need for it in the marketplace. If the Playstation and the Dreamcast launch dates were the other way around, guess what would have happened? Sega had made the Master System and the Mega Drive and ruled the world. The DC would have had five years worth of install base and a squillion available games. Publishers, just wouldn't have taken Sony seriously, dropping their support for the platform after a year. After all......what did 'Sony' know about games!?!?!

Who would have thought texting would take of like it has?

Now........don't get me started on that subject. I wish I had a pound [£....that's real money people :P ] for everytime I was in some girl's company in a bar as she stared at her phone whilst replying to a text message from a friend. "Don't text them.........dial their bloody number and talk to them"........aaaaghhhhhh......the agony :wall:

Did you ever hear the joke about the bloke who stirred his beer with his date's mobile phone when she'd gone to the toilet?! :whistle:

DS

• 4 weeks later...