Community Expansion Pack??

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sup -

You are right of course. Like BJB said - he doesn't mind contributing stuff he's already made (which is what we'd like, cuz we know it works) or limited modifications of stuff he's done.

Most quality modders are consumed by their own projects, involved in other team ones (ie Dynacomp) or would like to spend some time in the RealWorld. Totally normal.

Phase one for a CEP calls for stuff that already exists and nothing too revolutionary - ie scripting tools/scritps could be included later for modders.

Right now people need to weigh in, if only to support the idea. The more "quality" like BjB that does the more legit this is.

Edited by MarauderMike

I thought of something I can contribute to this if they turn out to be needed.  I've got a few new civilian skins.  I made them for CME4WHOIAM and myself.  I've got hispanic and black versions of all of them.

Great, Whoever makes the missions will be able to put some crowds in urban missions, without every civilian being the same person...

Edited by sup

Community Expansion Pack (CEP) Frag Order

Situation -

Friendly: There are a series of highly talented modders out there who have already created the "meat" required for this CEP.

Enemy: Ubisoft has shown only limited interest in the work of the community and has given no indication nor details on GR2. Nor have they polled the community for input. This highlights a certain disrespect that other companies (ie Bioware) avoid by actively engaging the community.

Commander's Intent: The intent of this project is create a tool that players and modders can use to standardize gameplay and or mission creation. This should take two forms, one leading to another:

a - a mod which contains the nec tools such as skins, weapons, effects, scritps, maps etc... which would function as common denominator allowing for ease of SP, MP and mission/campaign creation, leading to

b - virtually a new game (complete with many of the possible wish-list items for GR2). This should be possible using the talents of the community and the tools that other Ubisoft Games have in common (GR/Rainbow 6/RS/etc...).

Mission - the GR Community will create a CEP with a view to taking Ghost Recon to a whole new level.

Execution -

Concept of Ops: We need to establish contact with the top modders out there who have already created the "meat" for this CEP with a specific focus on requirements and standards. (ie what do we want to include and does it work?). Modders with recognized expertise in areas should be canvassed (or may volunteer) based on their area of expertise. Main Effort is the creation of the basic CEP tool outlined above which would function as common denominator.

Requirements (as there is no grouping yet to task) -

1 - Skins - should be done by are of expertise (ie BjB for Cdn, Aus_Viper for ADF, Brits by Chem etc... you get the point)

2 - Weapons/Vehicles/Placeables

3 - Effects - sound and visual

4 - Maps

5 - Tools (ie new launch screens enabling choices of any sort or that allow for new environments (winter? urban?))

6 - Scripts of all sorts - for the mission builders out there

7 - upgrade capability - for any additions to the above and patches

8 - more ideas?????

Coord Instr :

Standards: Only high quality and tried and true items should be included in the CEP. If it hasn't been extensivle beta-tested or items that occasionaly CTD wjen grouped with other items should be avoided. Compatibility and reliability are keys to success.

More??

Svc Sp -

Here my inexperience shows...

A web page/space?

A tool that will assist in minimizing download time or one that breaks this into segments (ie CEP players tools, CEP modders tools as separate downloads????)

Command & Sigs -

Command: someone with credibility and Leadership.

Sigs: These means for now.

Frag O - re-send. :thumbsup:

You're too much of a n00b in these forums, I'm too much of a n00b in these forums, too young, and too untalented...

I vote Avey, if he'll be part of it.

Edited by sup

You're too much of a n00b in these forums, I'm too much of a n00b in these forums, too young, and too untalented...

:o

I have too much on my plate, sorry.

... too young, and too untalented...

Don't worry young fella - you'll get there you've got time.

As for voting someone... sure...

But I'd rather see a community leader step forward.

...or even some patronage/support from Ubisoft :rocky: .

(but while I'm dreaming I want a C9A2 with a REFLEX Sight... ;) )

Keep on keepin' on.

Ok fist off the original name for the mod was called "Ghost Recon Community Expansion Pack" or GCEP for short.

I still have to ask some people for permission...but I don't forsee a problem of contributing the stuff.

Mostly its a wholeeeee buncha gun models with some .gun files, reticules, sounds, some skins and a couple maps donated by some modders.

The real work will be for someone to create a campaign or some cool missions. My original idea was to have alot of missions contributed without a single theme. Thereby showcasing the creativity of the community as a whole.

But I couldn't get enough people to contribute missions :(

Actually, I agree with the suggestion that we wait to see what impact DYNACOMP would have on ghostrecon mods.

As for GCEP I am not sure it would be meant as a "GR 2" type mod. Only GR2 will be a GR2.

Anyways I will try to talk to some of the contributers for permission to send material.

As for missions, I dont know what kind of maps were contributed, but like you said, if they are in different areas of the world, we could have several different missions, not relating to one another. Special forces does move around quite a bit in a short time dont they? Maybe I'm thinking of the SEALs. :unsure: Anyway. Those are my thoughts. You may have one in the desert, finish, (or so you think), go to some other area of the world, and then maybe have to go back and finish the job. I'm not much for thinking of in-depth missions, but I was just thinking of a game like SOCOM or something.

Sorry dudes....:(

If I had time I would have finished the orginal GCEP already. But let me talk to the original guys who contributed.

Them being...Marcinko, DTDWardenMac, Cobra, Sgt. Croc, De nome lanicon, MM_Shad, the list goes on. ;)

And when I get time later I will list the maps that was contributed.

Sorry dudes....:(

If I had time I would have finished the orginal GCEP already. But let me talk to the original guys who contributed.

Them being...Marcinko, DTDWardenMac, Cobra, Sgt. Croc, De nome lanicon, MM_Shad, the list goes on. ;)

And when I get time later I will list the maps that was contributed.

Thanks.

Ok, the maps I have permission to include in the mod is as follows:

de_dust, Osstian woodlands, traffic jam, city street large, Mytoan sniper, and a night version of the stronghold map.

A note on the mytoan map.....k1ller was the person who made it and it was open source so anyone can use it. And I just found a link to another one he did that is probably open source too. Its in 3dsm v5 format and it looks like a cool map to export for gr. Its called Guarded Forest.

You might want to check that out for possible inclusion to the community mod.

Fileplanet link for Guarded Forest max5 file

Also my msn messenger email is olternat@hotmail.com get on msn so we can talk. You sup and maraudermike.

de_dust, Osstian woodlands, traffic jam, city street large, Mytoan sniper,  and a night version of the stronghold map.

A note on the mytoan map.....k1ller was the person who made it and it was open source so anyone can use it.  And I just found a link to another one he did that is probably open source too.  Its in 3dsm v5 format and it looks like a cool map to export for gr.  Its called Guarded Forest.

Fileplanet link for Guarded Forest max5 file

Also my msn messenger email is  olternat@hotmail.com  get on msn so we can talk.  You sup and maraudermike.

I can't, really, it's not my idea anyway. Maraudermike willl handle most of this... :please:

Plus, I'm on 56k, so I won't be able to help too much. :(

Edited by sup

de_dust, Osstian woodlands, traffic jam, city street large, Mytoan sniper,  and a night version of the stronghold map.

A note on the mytoan map.....k1ller was the person who made it and it was open source so anyone can use it.  And I just found a link to another one he did that is probably open source too.  Its in 3dsm v5 format and it looks like a cool map to export for gr.  Its called Guarded Forest.

Outstanding.

Stalker - Hooah. We should take any map that works and doesn't CTD. So if you've got some more ideas for maps or anything keep'em coming. (PS - I sent you an email).

I'm going to seek some permissions for some other quality work as well. Already we have some good stuff with these maps, BjB's offer and some others.

I'm going to ask GR.net if they can create a page on their site for this project for additions (only, no downloads of the work yet) - if possible. If so then we can divvy it into categories for additions foe example:

Skins -

BjB - Cdn Operatives

Aus_Viper - Diggers??

Brits

Germans

Marines

French...etc

Maps -

Ossetian woodlands...etc

Weapons- ...

Sounds- ...

Misc - ...

Etc - ...

You get the picture.

Plus a spot for new stuff that hasn't been beta-tested as extensively as the additions that have been around for a while.

As stated earlier - I'm very much an FNG when it comes to making something like this happen... my expertise being limited to closing with and destroying the enemy, leading soldiers and playing this game. So if anyone with the nec skills wants to weigh in with ideas, additions, or da skills...please do. :yes:

I'm off to get some permissions....

Edited by MarauderMike

Outstanding.

Stalker - Hooah. We should take any map that works and doesn't CTD. So if you've got some more ideas for maps or anything keep'em coming. (PS - I sent you an email).

I'm going to seek some permissions for some other quality work as well. Already we have some good stuff with these maps, BjB's offer and some others.

I'm going to ask GR.net if they can create a page on their site for this project for additions (only, no downloads of the work yet) - if possible. If so then we can divvy it into categories for additions foe example:

Skins -

BjB - Cdn Operatives

Aus_Viper - Diggers??

Brits

Germans

Marines

French...etc

Maps -

Ossetian woodlands...etc

Weapons- ...

Sounds- ...

Misc - ...

Etc - ...

You get the picture.

Plus a spot for new stuff that hasn't been beta-tested as extensively as the additions that have been around for a while.

As stated earlier - I'm very much an FNG when it comes to making something like this happen... my expertise being limited to closing with and destroying the enemy, leading soldiers and playing this game. So if anyone with the nec skills wants to weigh in with ideas, additions, or da skills...please do. :yes:

I'm off to get some permissions....

Is it safe to assume you're the one who's leading the project, now?

Ok, Maraudermike......if you want to take the responsibility to be the project lead then I hope your up to it.

You don't necessarily have to be an expert modder but you will have to be able to get into contact with other modders and coordinate their activities.

You will also have to be able to keep in mind the overall vision for this mod. Which should be the showcasing of as many different modders talents.

Sometimes it becomes a headache because you have to chase modders to get their contribution in on time.

Assembling the material itself will be a pain so you will need modders just to assemble the stuff so it works.

For instance, while I do have a wholeee bucha guns.... the kit files and the .gun files for them needs editing still. Like..."is the recoil too hard or too easy"...or "should this sound file go with this gun?"

And when you times that by a hundred you can see how much work that is.

What I suggest is that you start making contacts with people that will help with final assembly and a person willing to do some editing with gun files and kit files.

Even more than that please put my email olternat@hotmail.com in your msn messenger friends list so we can talk seriously. I want to make arrangements to send you the rough and rather large beta of the mod thus far.

Edited by Stalker_Zero