Can you mix LAN and internet

demojoe

Question. I play in a regular LAN game after hours at work and now I have a friend who wants in. Trouble is, she's remote and at home. Is it possible to let someone into a LAN from an exteral site so they can play?

And if not, is it possible for all of us who are on the same office network, to play together on an online game or will there be problems with people using the same external IP?

Thanks for any help.

sorry guess I was a bit vague (its hard to beat whiteknight and sotophantom to the post)

you can do either but it depends on your network.

Ideally letting her in on your games would be better for traffic. but you would have to forward the ports gr uses to the gr "server"

the other way will work as well but she would have to host and you would need a good connection at work depending on how many are going to use the connection

Thanks for the reply.

So in order to let her into our game, If I host it on my system as a LAN Game, then all she needs is our IP? On her end, would she Choose Internet, as opposed to LAN, on her multiplayer menu, then add our IP to see the game?

And all I need to do is the standard port forwarding on our Netgear router?

You'll need to forward TCP/UDP ports 2346-2348 (and some recommend 2349) through the router in order for someone outside of your network to connect to you.

Now, if you do create a LAN game, I am not absolutely certain that someone off the LAN can do a direct IP connect to you. By all means, try it.

If you have issues, you can create an Internet server that resides on your LAN, connect to it via direct IP by it's private network address (ie 192.168.x.x) for clients behind the router, and by the router's public IP for those 'out there'.

As long as the proper ports are forwarded to all the PCs on the LAN, the internet player will be able to play by using the external IP of the host player (MyIP.com for external IP).

I did this with my 2 PCs and someone from England and both of my characters were visible to the internet player.

its hard to beat whiteknight

I just happened to be in the shower at the time you posted, so you were able to beat me this time. :whistle::ermm:

Just to add a little.

I have never ever ever seen 2349 used by GR unless the join port was changed to 2347.

GR by default uses TCP! to run the session on 2346. It uses 2347 as a broadcast port to tell clients that it is available. It uses JoinPort(2346) +2 for status gathering through TCP protocol.

I also have not seen it use UDP. If anyone does, please let me know.

I have written some software that uses RAW IP packet watching to trap the IP/Names when people log in to a Dedicated server.

CBH