Iraqi-made statue of American Soldier

ReconSnake

I just got a link to this at Pnet

in an email

us_statue.jpg

This picture of the statue above was made by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad.  This artist was so grateful that the Americans liberated his country, he melted 3 of the fallen Saddam heads and made a memorial statue dedicated to the American soldiers and their fallen comrades.  Kalat worked on this night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the loss of his comrade in arms.  It is currently on display outside the palace that is now home to the 4th Infantry division.  It will eventually be shipped and shown at the memorial museum in Fort Hood, Texas.

This is a really sweet gesture from a people who appreciate being liberated. It is true (although we are tiresomely reminded of it in these forums :P ) that the press often gives too much time to the negative aspects of the Iraq debacle and not enough to the fact that at least out of the mess, an entire country has been liberated. And too seldom do we hear about people who are grateful to the coalition soldiers for freeing them.

That is a very touching, it reminds me of how "human" our soldiers are, unlike the enemy we face so often that is seemingly full of hatred and disconcern for others, our good men and women of this country work together on distant shores to bring peace to troubled places, and some never come home.

So you think only American soldiers mourn their dead?!

You've never been in combat right?

You've grown on Rambo movies, you've got higher on the preaching of your president... Just stop and think, what you're shown is nothing, your government would never show you that the enemy is human aswell, they don't want their soldiers or their people to ever think of anybody else as a human fighting for his interests and beliefs, but they need the "Perfect Enemy", demonizing the enemy, just like every other government, just like mine does, but I've seen both sides here.

It would be more fitting to have it in Iraq to remind their people of what the "US" has done for them.. must be a vacant lot in the center of the city to erect a larger version of it ..With it being in a museum is alright ,,but not appropiate for it 'll have no value in that far off place,from where it started,,keep it in their country for all them to see and remember the good faith of the people of the "United States of America",,

seems a little small for what has been acheived.. IMO +force+

So you think only American soldiers mourn their dead?!

You've never been in combat right?

You've grown on Rambo movies, you've got higher on the preaching of your president... Just stop and think, what you're shown is nothing, your government would never show you that the enemy is human aswell, they don't want their soldiers or their people to ever think of anybody else as a human fighting for his interests and beliefs, but they need the "Perfect Enemy", demonizing the enemy, just like every other government, just like mine does, but I've seen both sides here.

Hey Damage- did you read the rules here? - No polictical discussions- I just spent a half an hour typing a response to your very RUDE response to me, and ya know what- For the sake of Rocky and all the other good people here that make this great site happen I have deleted all of it, as according to the rules of this forum.

I will say I think it is not right to criticize the authenticity of one's patriotism :angry:

Edited by mr.pibb