Which mobo

Rocky

From what I have read...the Canterwood (875) boards aren't worth the extra money...I'd go with something that uses the Springdale Chipset (865)...bith are intel chipsets....I've had my eye on this Mobo for awhile...would have gone for this if I had waited a few more months to build my current Machine Asus P4P800

Rocky,

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_...=875P_NEO-FIS2R

I have the MSI model MS-6728-020 with 865PE chipset. ;) I like the motherboard manufacture a great deal. The mobo 875 specs look good. I have to say my mobo runs steady with no problems. There are many great mobo's out there so choosing one over another is up to person purchasing.

Going Intel. Going AMD :sheep: apples vs oranges. I think both companies have interesting technology and future looks good for the consumer. Please lets address the issue of what Rocky is looking at other wise we are being salesmen for companies. I don't work at either AMD nor Intel, :blink: so I look at what I want to take advantage of currently.

I have the MSI model MS-6728-020 with 865PE chipset. ;) I like the motherboard manufacture a great deal. The mobo 875 specs look good.

Cool! Yeh this mobo is currently the most recommended at a review site/magazine that I respect, plus simply are doing a 10% discount offer right now so I figure, why not?!

Yeh I appreciate the advice about considering Athlons, but I have enough on my hands learning all there is about building a PC without throwing the AMD/Intel debate into the mix. I'm going with a P4 processor and working on from there.

BTW CR6 at GR-Retreat sent me this link which has a good graphics card round up.

:)

Just to throw my 2 cents into the ring...

I was all set to buy an intel cpu and intel mobo. Then, for the heck of it, I decided to start reading some testing results on the Athlon64 3200+. Even though it is only 2.0GHz and doesn't support Dual Channel Memory, it pretty much out-performed the P4 in most gaming benchmarks.

Also, be very wary of the new pentium E's. They have the prescott cores and offer the 1Mb cache on them. They get SUUPER-HOT. The actually recommend only using them in a water-cooled system...

If you need any advice, or just want some links to read, drop me a PM. I just finished weeks and weeks or research on cpu's,mobo's, and memory.

I too was being pushed into getting an AMD Atholon 64 as apposed to a P4. The Atholon 64 is ahead of the p4's right now as far as performance...but not by much. You wont go wrong getting one. I still went with a P4...cause its what I know.

As far as mobo's...Lots of good ones out there. Everyone is going to give you dif opinions. Intel boards are fine...nothing wrong with them. But you cant go wrong with a MSI 865PE Neo 2. ;)

....this is the Mainboard i selected to run with an AMD +3200 "Barton"

AMD Athlon XP +3200 "Barton"

Abit NF7-S V 2.0 Mainboard

WD Raptor HD @ 10,000 rpm

Kingston PC 3200 1-GB

Geforce FX Graphics

Sounblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Thermaltake Xaser III Case

480 watt PSU

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/produc...ories=1&model=6