Online Game Setup Question

demojoe

Ok, I asked a similar question earlier but have failed to get this to work so I am hoping someone can give me more detailed information on how to make my system available to play online games. Right now, when I create a room, anyone trying to join just gets stuck on the "connecting" screen. They never get in.

I am running Windows XP and have a Speedstreem DSL Modem. I am running a Netgear MR814v2 Wireless Router, so my internal IP is different from my external one. The router has no firewall but I am running ZoneAlarm Pro software firewall. ZoneAlarm software version 3.7.098 with "Gateway enforcement" enabled (whatever that means).

Someone please help me out with some detailed information on how to set it up properly and how my friends can join. Earlier I was told to do the "port forwarding" thing but obviously I am doing something wrong because it aint working.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. For instructions on how to foreword ports on your router > Click Here

so for GR (Add a Service) :

the service name = Ghost Recon
    the start port = 2346
    the end port = 2349
    the Server IP Address = this is the IP of the machine hosting GR (Launch a DOS window and type ipconfig to show the IP of that PC)

*if you are using the ubi.com servers you will also need to make more entries (as above for GR) for the following ports:

80: Usual Web Port
    6667: Usual Chat Port
    40000-42000: Required Ports for ubi.com

2. On the PC that is hosting GR. Go to Network connections, then right click on the relevant network connection and select properties, then select "advanced" and make sure the box under "Internet connection firewall" is unchecked.

3. To get your current External IP just click here > My IP.com this is the IP you need to give to the other players.

:)

Two questions. One, when I give my external IP to my friends so they can play, where do they put it in to access my game? Usually when I connect to a game, I just click the room name from the lobby and hit joing game. I never see any windows to type in an IP. Is there a different process that I am not aware of for port forwarded games?

And Two, if I go to UBI .com and click "create room" and then "start game" that means I am hosting it right? My computer is the server? In this case I am NOT using a ubi server, right?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but this is all VERY confusing to someone who has never even played online before this, much less tryed to configure a setup like this.

No worries we'll get ya sorted :thumbsup:

Most of us here wouldn't touch the ubi servers with a 10Ft barge pole.

The easiest (and IMHO the best) way to host is by direct IP:

For the Host:

1. Launch GR
    2. Activate any mods
    3. Select multiplayer
    4. Select "Internet"
    5. Select "create game"
    6. Posts the External IP in a games room forum (like the one here) or sends it to friends via ICQ/E-mail/MSN Etc)

For the Client:

1. Launch GR
    2. Activate any mods
    3. Select multiplayer
    4. Select "Internet"
    5. types the hosts IP address into the box (and PW if the host is using one)
    6. Select "Add" (IP is added to the server list and should show the game details)
    7 Select "Join"

The fun begins :lol:

:)