Close Range Combat

Hi im new to this site and have been playing Ghost Recon for about 3 months. Its great!!! I ehave read about sneaking around and not being seen and im ok at that but when i get to a place say a building with about 5 or 6 tangos around it and some in it i just cant figure out how to get them all down before they light me up. I can get about 3 every time but then they kill me. Can you give me some tips about this kind of situation.

Always remember, that if you're in an attacking situation, say something like you were talking about, attacking them while they're on guard, or in a house. The best thing to do while in an ambush situation, is to lay prone, and use normally 1 or 2 nades to knock out the outlying patrols. Then neutralize the remaining guards around the building. A good tactic is to have say B squad be a rifleman or demo, and 1 support character. Have the support character support your open flank. Ive had many a mission, where i take out all enemies in front of me, and then get killed because i had someone behind a bush to my right i never saw.

Hope that helps, and happy hunting :ninja:

To clear a room I find that standing up and using the left alt button (default) helps a lot. It allows good speed and provides good accuracy. The bad guys don't know what hit them. Also it is good to mess with their heads. Make some noise in one direction and attack them from the other side.

Thanks for that Rocky (site master dude) will be glad to here it, as some one said, pull up a chair get a beer and stay awhile. If your going in for those close kills, as a rifleman a m203 grenade can be effective or a little spray of OICW grenade fire. Say like on the Castle Night mission when you get to the fire that would be a good chance to use a 203.

But the other guys are dead right this is a team game the best way to get them all is to use your team. I find I get myself in a good postion, with my guys all on Recon I go in close and take out the first 3 say, and as I do my other guys will also start to fire as well, and if i can i reach my finger up to 9 on the keyboard and my teams will all go suppresive and if my fire lanes are good and the kill zone dense with bullets they will all be down. And if the AI support teams deem it neccasary another nade will fly into the objective. This tatic will only work if you have Island Thunder and Desert Seige or are patched up to 1.4 cause they really worked the team AI over.

Anyway thats the way it should work. One shot from the hip and your day could be over, or that quiet one at the back who allways hides away, he can be a Team killer if some one doesnt get him. A couple of burst of full auto kept to 4 or 5 rounds are best for these situations, accurate and deadly.

Tell us how you get on with that ;)

The meathod I use for that kind of situation, is control your main assualt group, and position yourself prone on a hill/with partial cover, and command another team around back of the enemy. Open fire in bursts at your opponents. you should kill several, and then live long enough for your other team to finish them off.

HARRM has cast: Counterspam, Level 1.

If you play GR a lot, you begin to realize theres a short delay before bots shoot, when they are playing their "raise weapon" animation. Thankfully, you dont have this animation, such if you rush in with an automatic weapon, you can pepper everyone in the room before they get a shot off. This works with human players, too, although not nearly as often.

--Harrm

• 3 weeks later...

many people forget to change their rate of fire when clearing rooms, I play gr on both pc and xboxthe box's split screen co-op makes it much easier to co-ordinate attacks on houses.GR is concerned with outdoor combat rather than indoor combat and a m203,oicw,gp 25 grenades explode on impact making close range room clearing sucide!.A soldier armed with a 7.62 carbine or sa80 with hand nades are exellent.chuck in nade,flick to auomatic edge slowly around the door frame and fill anything you see with lead.

rate of fire general rule 1, the standerd m16 does not have a full auto capacity so at the early stages of the game(clearing the cave) where kit selectionis limited use the saw or m4(both automatic) to clear rooms,

general rule 2: long range-single shot

mid range-3 round burst

whites of their eyes(close range)-full auto

n.b I personally never bother with 3 round bursts and either go auto or singel depending on the situation....however if you have the relevant expansion pack give the an94's 2 round burst setting a go!

Edited by andropantos

If your really good then you could just use single shot.. :rocky: ..do it in style <_< ..also you side step.Side step and then come back really quick,then if theres a hallway behind you side step and look that way.

Hi im new to this site and have been playing Ghost Recon for about 3 months. Its great!!! I ehave read about sneaking around and not being seen and im ok at that but when i get to a place say a building with about 5 or 6 tangos around it and some in it i just cant figure out how to get them all down before they light me up. I can get about 3 every time but then they kill me. Can you give me some tips about this kind of situation.

whenever i come across a group of badies, i like taking forever (FOREVER) to position my fireteams for a perfect ambush comin from multiples directions. usually the sniper is on some high ground, i got support dudes ready to lay down a hail of bullets from behind and a 2-man m16 fireteam off on a flank in case of stragglers. the support team is usually there for suppress fire, the sniper for the primary shots (he gets first shots off) and the m16 dudes to go in and rout out the prone tangos.

remember, its not how many tangos you kill, its how cool you look killing em. :)

OK i will. Also i cant drink legally yet :D

pfffft, whats the "law" done for me latly :P

JK (dont take this seriuously)

Best things for close combat is shotguns :)

Find a mod with a good shotgun, and your off and racing!! :yes:

...a GR Player can read all the material he wants about tactics. You just need to put hours in. CQB scenarios are all different. As soon as I get ready to enter a building or house, I'll pull up my quick-map. Mine is programed on left 'ctrl'. You need to be able to pull that overhead view up and glance at it within seconds. Teammates may allready be entering through another door or entry way. Whether or not one survives a CQB situation, a "Team Kill" is what to avoid here. Get used to checking your Quick-Map frequently on most any map layout. In some situations I'll check mine every few seconds. This will greatly reduce TKs'. After hundreds and hundreds of hours playing GR, I still see TKs' "even with the most refined players. I had a few this week- surrounded by the fact that I was unaware of Team positions on map at that time. In closing, looking -down at the keyboard is smthing that we all do from time to time. It just takes a split-second of looking away to turn you into an observer. Heck, I can still remember my first online game....it was on UBI. After I finally discovered how to join a game, selected a kit and right during the spawn-in..."adrenalin pumping", I capped all my mates. Well wasn't seconds after that that they Booted my A** outta there. ......"that was my debut at online GR~~~~ :whistle:

You need to be able to pull that overhead view up and glance at it within seconds.

i couldnt agree more. the best analogy ive heard is to treat that map like you would a rear-view mirror. itll catch things you might not have caught but happens to be in your line of sight. :ph34r:

Keep in mind, too, that in some situations if you toss in a grenade or even just fire a couple of rounds through a window, sometimes they'll come out to see what's going on and you can gun 'em as they appear. This was pretty common for me in Postcards from Peru

Hi all...been "lurking" for a time on the forums and of course DLing mods :D Finally decided to register and do some postings.

Anyhoo...lots of good info has already been posted by the group here but here's some more help from an overlooked source. For those new to GR, there is another, somewhat older proggie out there that helps ALOT... "Police Quest : SWAT" by Sierra (look for it in the bargin bin at local software stores...even Widnows 95 with a 900mhrz processor can run it lag free)..the orginal..not the later ones... Of course it uses live action and is FPS (mostly..watch out for grandma with the.22 psitol!) and the graphics are dated BUT...teaches you ALOT about QCB and room clearing tactics by the LAPD SWAT team as you play, like "slicing the pie" (ie entering a room, one person opens the door croutched, the next person goes in but slides right as they sweep the area, next person does the same but to the left, 3rd person goes straight in and holds for the door guy....etc..) Also talks about windage for sniping and the firing mechanics are quite similar to that of GR, so the PQ:SWAT "firing range" helps out (the fun of pepper pots...oh joy!).

Hope that helps too...

btw...to the regs who do mods....out-###### standing and as a side note to whoever made the Harntrox 20 Missions MOD.....

....you evil sadistic git! Mind you...in a good way...yes, let's have 4 AIs *IN* the initial respawn point on entry locked and loaded....the testing grounds with 100+ AIs??? Damn...the LAN party here needed a mop afterwards. ;) Keep up the great work. :D

Edited by Csmith_Fan