A couple questions

Harrm

Two questions, if anyone can answer them:

1- Can an FM minimi SAW shoot through the armor of a hummer? How about Strykers? Or just about any other light transportation unit or LAV?

2- On the US special forces C4 remote detonator (cant find the serial code right off the bat) there is a small plug-in the is labeled ACmob on back near the primary switch, just to the right of fuse. What is it for?

--Harrm

From what I've read Hummers do not have ballistic protection as standard, and so I'd be fairly confident that the SAW, firing M855 rounds with the SS10 9steel penetrator (standard "green tip" ball), should penetrate a Humvee. The Minimi/SS109 system was after all designed to punch through ballistic helmets and vests.

As for the C4 detonator, I have no clue.

I'd say anything bigger than a peashooter would knock a hole in a hummer mate! The hummer is a civilian car, the HMMWV is the military vehicle and it does have some armour plating but not enough to really stop bullets in its original configuration.

Newer HMMWV's, M1114 "Up-Armed", is said to have enough armour to stop 7.62mm AP rounds though so a Minimi would have a very hard time punching though it!

I know that minimis cant punch through ASLAVs, aussie APCs.

The C4 thang is a toughy.

The fact it says AC may mean AC power supply, and mob might mean mobile.

It could be a plug for a mobile AC powersupply, and larger battery pack maybe? :unsure:

Well, I dont have a Minimi laying around but...

I did a check on ACmob but couldnt find anything on it (I'll try and get pics of it soon). I took your advice Silent night and jimmyrigged a mobile AC battery to the thing, using a US Robotics output transformer and a car battery (and a couple other odds and ends, like some resistors, a light diode and a capacitor). I tacked the ends to some steel wool and FWISH! The Wool disintegrated.

I then tried it with a weaker battery, but nothing happened. The question now is "You you freakin' serious?" I mean, you cant have SpecOps running around with car batteries strapped to their backs, right? Does the military use minigenerators? Really small but powerful batteries?

Any help I would be grateful for.

--Harrm

Well, first of all, the M249 SAW and the FN 5.56 Minimi are two different guns. The company of FN in Belgium made their Minimi first. We actually coppied their version and modified it to fit our standards. To puncture the kevlar on a hummer, you would need to consentrate your fire in one area. If you do this, you could rip a hole through the hummer in a few seconds. Same goes for a FN Minimi. As for the C4 question... I have no idea. :P

Edited by Aerio

Well, I dont have a Minimi laying around but...

I did a check on ACmob but couldnt find anything on it (I'll try and get pics of it soon). I took your advice Silent night and jimmyrigged a mobile AC battery to the thing, using a US Robotics output transformer and a car battery (and a couple other odds and ends, like some resistors, a light diode and a capacitor). I tacked the ends to some steel wool and FWISH! The Wool disintegrated.

I then tried it with a weaker battery, but nothing happened. The question now is "You you freakin' serious?" I mean, you cant have SpecOps running around with car batteries strapped to their backs, right? Does the military use minigenerators? Really small but powerful batteries?

Any help I would be grateful for.

--Harrm

i should have added a "dont try this at home" :P

AC might be an abbreviation for a more powerful antenna maybe, so they can blow things up from the comfort of there own homes??

Im just gessing here, i have no idea

Just an interesting fact: I've got an uncle who lives in Africa and they've got these realy poisonous snakes and when you get bit by one, like say in the leg for instance, they would stick jumper cables to a car battery and then shock your leg to stun the venom so that it wouldn't spread past your leg. Then they would have more time to get you to a hospital. I thought it was pretty cool.

Just an interesting fact: I've got an uncle who lives in Africa and they've got these realy poisonous snakes and when you get bit by one, like say in the leg for instance, they would stick jumper cables to a car battery and then shock your leg to stun the venom so that it wouldn't spread past your leg. Then they would have more time to get you to a hospital. I thought it was pretty cool.

That reminds me of something.

Once, on the Jeff Corwin show, Jeff went to Africa to do a pit about a particular snake. The government agreed to let him in and do the piece, but only if he had a doctor, some antivenin, and a helicopter there onsite, so that he could be flown to the nearest hospital if he was bitten. Apparently, if you are bitten by this snake, you will be dead in minutes without proper care. :blink:

Woot? The Snake stuff and the shocking, how would that work? The poison enters the veins and starts spreading ways to slow it sown are: Immobilizing the patient, mostly treating the affected limb as if it were broken. Calm him down... Maybe a tourniquet, but that only if you ain't far from a hospital, leaving the tourniquet on too long might kill the limb, releasing the tourniquet would cause a great release of poison into the body, causing a shock.

Shocking the limb with electricity makes it worse, any muscular contraction cause pressure on the lymph, so DON'T DO IT.

:nono: ---> :rocky: