AMD 3000XP Released (Barton core)

RooK

I'd like to correct myself, it is on the 333fsb. Apparently AMD havent switched over to 400fsb yet.

The 2800, as AMD said, is a limited edition chip, and if you can get your hands on one (at what vendors are pricing), good luck. The reason they lowered mhz for the pr rating is simple: the 256kb of L2 cache makes that much of a difference.

It and the P4 are as equal as can be (give and take in benching, about half and half), and seeing as it is 3000 rated, not 3100 or 3200, I don't see why you're squabling. Also, the additonal 256kb of L2 cache, does give it an upper hand in many test compared to previous cores. Maybe I also note that it overclocked into the 2.5ghz range, or almost 400mhz over default core speed. That shows that AMD has a lot of life left in the core yet, and it won't even be their main cpu come September.

<_< That also means they are that FAR behind. The 2800 has beat it in many benches. The 3.06 with proper cooling of course can tap over 1GHz more than its norm. I am not squabling or maybe I am I dont know but mainly cause it is a POS. Yeah I will admit AMD isnt my fav but I dont hate them anymore really. They make some nice stuff, and this IMHO is a BIG disappointment. And AMD decides the bloody 3000 pr rating. Only them, they control it, heck if they wanted to it could be a BAGILLION+. I would like to see a some biased company do it. Cause Intel does their GHz just like a GHz.

The reason they do show pr is cause idiots that shop for general pcs still go by that. They think that mhz still matters in cpu speed. The speed of their cpus are available to anyone who cares to look, they just tell you what it compares to. Truth is, it is on par with a P4 3ghz.

The reason they do show pr is cause idiots that shop for general pcs still go by that.  They think that mhz still matters in cpu speed.  The speed of their cpus are available to anyone who cares to look, they just tell you what it compares to.  Truth is, it is on par with a P4 3ghz.

On par, when it is more often beaten by the P4 3.06 AND the freakin 2800+ not even on the new Barton. Mainly the later which is really sad :( I just hope they get a decent product out soon. Maybe a cool case sticker :P So u do concede the OC'ing then eh? :D

Edited by Stinger

Yes, but seeing the fact that the Barton is still old tech reinvented (still the same basic core of the original x86 cpus), it doesn't have more than a year of life left. AMD had to make the Hammer, or they were in trouble.

I read some more, and the 3KXP beats the P4 3 in Winstone but is only on par or behind in multimedia and gaming benchmarks. On 10 out of 18 benches done my Toms and Tech Report (both there no Toms comments :P) the 2800 beats the 3k. Now 3060 is almost the same as 3 GHz 60Mhz isnt much of diff. and for AMD to be saying it is at the level of 3k already is a bunch of fluff, MAYBE 2900 if that was every to be (why no odd numbers?) but not already at 3000+ that is an overstatement. So AMD neads to haul .... and get the Athlon 64 out! Oh the whole x-86 thing has been rebuilt upon so many times, lucky it is still alive. When I am 30 the CPU's will be organic and all squishy and float in water hmmmm :blink:

Thanks for the link RooK.

Stinger, perhaps you should consider writing a letter to AMD, better yet, apply for a engineer/designer postion in their "CPU Department". It sounds like you've got all the ideas AMD needs to pull ahead in the chip wars...with you at the helm...well, God help Pentium. ;)

Thanks for the link RooK.

Stinger, perhaps you should consider writing a letter to AMD, better yet, apply for a engineer/designer postion in their "CPU Department".  It sounds like you've got all the ideas AMD needs to pull ahead in the chip wars...with you at the helm...well, God help Pentium. ;)

lol, I am just saying that they know they are starting to lose ground and with the Athlon 64 delayed they have to revoer it somehow. Tell me this Ranger, if you build a new CPU and YOU rate it higher than your older cpu, shouldn't it perform better overall? :P

Again, I am not an Intel Fanboy no more but AMD kinda torqued me here. <_< I would still like a 4 CPU Opteron pc though :D Ranger dont post again till you get those other Benches for that puter up! ;)

Edited by Stinger