Jackhammers and Leech brains

Darkblue

Hi folks,got a couple of niggley questions for ya all,I think the answers will be obvious to someone here.

First off,the Jackhammer.Is this a real weapon or just game dev's imagination? I guess it must be a hell of a thing if it is real? I have only seen it in one game so far,Project IGI.If it is real I'd love to know a bit more about it.

and Biological memory - has anyone heard of this being in use anywhere yet? I can remember watching an experiment ages ago,which had 'programmed' Leech brain cells.These cells were performing simple calculations - thats about as much as I can remember.I was told once(mid last year)that the US military were using this tech on a regular basis - but I have my doubts.Any info would great folks.

The Jackhammer was a real weapon. I think it isn't/wasn't used by any military. IIRC the ammo cassettes had to be shipped back to the manufacturer to be reloaded.

Interesting thing I read about it in a book was that the ammo cassettes could be taken off and placed on the ground with a pressure plate added. It then could be used as a impromtu claymore, setting off all 10-12 12ga shells on a group of targets. :blink:

-----------

Added:

here is a link that has some info on it.

Edited by Zantar45

From what I've heard, Zantar hit the nail on the head. The jackhammer was a lackluster weapon, especially compared to far superior weapons that could be produced ten times faster and cheaper...like the shotgun. Catriges for the JK where costly to produce, and the gun had an annoyingly high maintenence rate. Also, the shells had to be saved for refilling, since the shells cost so ######' much.

I have heard about the claymore-shell thing, but remember, a rattrap and a shotgun shell will do the exact same thing for a third of the cost...

As for biomechanics, Armys tend to keep the lid on these things, but as far as I know theyve pretty much abondoned it. I mean, yes the brain stores a vast amount of information...but then again, we have magnets strong enough that they can hold terabytes inside of harddrives no larger than my hand.

Modern Biomechanics have more to do with the human brain: Namely the air force. They're trying to create the first nueromechanical link between pilots in their jets. This will basicllay turn our "damn fine" pilots into "Godlike" pilots.

--Harrm

In a way,its a shame to hear that the military have abandanded their research in this area.I get the impression sometimes that military research can drive technology forward faster and with more thorough results than profit driven commercial research.

That nueromechanical link you have mentioned sounds interesting,is this where a piolot simply has to 'think about a task' rather than actually having to physically do it?

Anyways,I appreciate your posts - thanks a lot.

Darkblue.

I get the impression sometimes that military research can drive technology forward faster and with more thorough results than profit driven commercial research.

If you live in the USA, or get a channel that carries this show, watch "Tactical to Practical"

An ex-Navy fighter pilot takes a look at things that were developed in the military and then applied to civillian use. It's pretty sweet.

Some brief info on the show

Tactical to Practical Forums

I get the impression sometimes that military research can drive technology forward faster and with more thorough results than profit driven commercial research.

If you live in the USA, or get a channel that carries this show, watch "Tactical to Practical"

An ex-Navy fighter pilot takes a look at things that were developed in the military and then applied to civillian use. It's pretty sweet.

Some brief info on the show

Tactical to Practical Forums

Hmmm,there are some interesting items in the forum - especially the fluid that turns to a solid when a electrical current is passed through it..........

Little known fact: adding molten Iron to Napalm (the professional kind, not the Styrofoam and gasoline crap) will allow it to conduct electricity without destroying the destructive properties of the original meterial.

Also, did you know American currency is magnetic, and will also conduct a little electricity?

"They" also have a laser cannon. It takes the size of a 747 to house the contents, but the cannon can carve just about anything in two.

Yup. Neruomechanical systems allow pilots to only think about their actions, and it is performed.

--Harrm