Which card out of these 2 is better?

ReconSnake

I'm thinking about upgrading from my geforce 3 ti200 to one of these, either a Geforce 5700 Ultra or a FX5900SE (from NewEgg)

Anyone have any experience with either? The customer reviews on both look pretty nice. I had originally picked the 5700 Ultra, but I didn't see the other one until tonight.

Edited by ReconSnake

Id get a nice gf4ti4600 now for 89 bucks, wait 6 months and get the 5950 when it drops to 189 or so.  that way, get performance, and save money for another upgrade.  But hey, that's just me.  Mr. Practical.  :thumbsup:  :rocky:

You don't really save much money that way.

too be honest id wait till spring time both nvidia and ATI should have a card ready for release by early summer, that way u can take advantage of price drops, or as prozac said u can save up for a real card and buy a 9800 pro

my wife also runs all her games on a gf3 ti 200 128 ddr(MSI) and is quite happy with it even tho ive tried to upgrade her card she doesnt see the point as it plays GR extremely well with good fps and IQ

Edited by snakebite1967

Id get a nice gf4ti4600 now for 89 bucks, wait 6 months and get the 5950 when it drops to 189 or so.  that way, get performance, and save money for another upgrade.  But hey, that's just me.  Mr. Practical.  :thumbsup:  :rocky:

You don't really save much money that way.

Actually, you save about 150 dollars that way. :thumbsup:

that is a valid point Phantom tho id still say a gf4 ti 4200 to tide you over for a year then go dx9 , but if budget is tight and this card has to last atleast another 18 months and be able to play most games med to high detail then a gf4 ti 4600 is still a great card.

tho all the gf4 ti 4600 cards i can find around my way are still up there in price and for a similar amount a radeon 9600 pro is a better choice

@ Phantom not trying to argue or criticise your choice just my 2 cents worth the 4600 is a discontinued product now and unless u can find one online cheap youl be paying the price the reseller wants to get rid of old stock

Edited by snakebite1967

Don't worry bro. You know me better than that. I'm a die hard Nvidia fan for other reasons than gaming. If I didn't need the compatability that Nvidia offers, I would consider an ATI card. But they don't, and are showing no signs of doing so anytime soon.

And in this particular thread, I was offering a suggestion for the budget impaired. Like me ! ! :rocky:

I would have to say buy a cheaper budget card, and then get a nice fast card when the spring comes and prices drop........

something like a 9600pro or a GF4Ti4600.

right now I am waiting on a 9800np in the mail, cause I got sick of poor overclocking of my 9700pro(400/362 max), so I am playing ghost recon with an 8500. I run it maxed out at 1280x1024(17in CRT) just fine, so a budget card can help save money.......

ati all the way...... :o=

too be honest id wait till spring time both nvidia and ATI should have a card ready for release by early summer, that way u can take advantage of price drops, or as prozac said u can save up for a real card and buy a 9800 pro

Yeah, I guess I'll wait until the spring and see what the Nvidia prices do. My Geforce 3 does fine on everything I am currently playing, so a few more months won't hurt anything.

because even ith volt mods I couldn't get higher then 400core/362mem.

My old 9500np in my sig got 470/335 for benches...... so I decided to get a r350 chip card so I can get that core speed again. I have a TEC, so iam hoping to get 500+ core speed.........

I'm thinking about upgrading from my geforce 3 ti200 to one of these, either a Geforce 5700 Ultra or a FX5900SE (from NewEgg)

Anyone have any experience with either? The customer reviews on both look pretty nice. I had originally picked the 5700 Ultra, but I didn't see the other one until tonight.

I have been gettng some advice on the same thing. There is a big difference in performance between those two cards, and a big price hike too. The 5700 Ultra is a great card, performance/buck I don't think you can do much better (there is now a 5700 Ultra Platinum now though I believe).

The following quotes and info are thanks to CR6 at RSretreat, probably of interest to you.

http://www.gamepyre.com/hardwared.html?aid=329&p=1

As a $199 MSRP card, this makes the 5700 Ultra an excellent performer for it's price class. One note about pricing, Nvidia and ATI's partners have started pricing the 5900 Non-Ultra and 9800 Non-Pro at the same price range as the MSRP of this card. Both of these cards are heads and shoulders above the 9600XT or 5700 Ultra.

If you can find an old Radeon 9700 Pro that is in your price range, that is

the best bet. The 9700's prices have dropped mucho since the 9800 came out.

"The GeForce FX 5700 Ultra will be debuting at $199 after a mail in rebate.

If $200 is your hard limit, and you need a midrange card right now, the 5700

Ultra is the way to go if you want solid frame rates.

If $200 is still a bit much, the Radeon 9600 Pro is a very healthy option;

we have yet to see how the non-Ultra 5700 performs as it may also deserve

some attention once it hits the streets."

[end anandtech]

Tom's hardware just happened to put up their updated vid card shootout

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/200312...1229/index.html

Things to note:

1. The ATI Radeon 9600 is actually slower than the 9500 was. The 9600 is

made with a smaller die (.13 micron) so was cheaper for ATI to make and mass

produce, while the 9500 was actually a crippled 9700!

2. The GF5700 is a BIG improvement over the GF5600. Notice the GF 5700U out

performs the GF 5900 in Quake Arena!!

3. At the midrange, Nvidia beats ATI for speed. At the high range (Rad 9800

vs GF5950), ATI is on top. ATI is considered to have nicer color warmth and

anti-aliasing, but drivers still have probs on some games (incl call of

duty).

Nvidia may work out better for you since you won't have to scrub out your

GF2 drivers (they are unified so they use the same downloaded drivers) and

tend to work better with most games. I've recently helped friends build

systems with GF5200's and they were happy with the card. Some people noticed

the 2D in nvidia cards is now snappier than ati's too!

4. If you get Nvidia, I'd suggest buying from a tier-1 partner like MSI or

ASUS. If you get ati, I'd buy the "made by ati" boards.

A few confusing things to note:

For Nvidia, "Ultra" is the faster clock of a given chip, while "XT" is the

slower clock

For ATI, "XT" or "Pro"  means the faster faster clock of a given chip, while

"SE" is the slower clock

ATI and nVidia are announcing their new cards in the next 1-2 months, so the

Radeon 9800 series price will likley go down further soon. I've seen one

today for $400 Cdn and it was just $650 2 months ago!!