New Case/HSF/PSU

Crimson

Well, I finally found out a way to put some of my Christmas money to use. My PC sounds like a 747 comming in on approach. So I went over to NewEgg and bought a new case, HS/F for my CPU, a bigger power supply, and some thermal compound, for $235.

Thermaltake Highest Xaser III

Vantec AeroFlow HS/F

Thermaltake Silent PurePower 420W

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Basically I was shooting for cooling and a quieter setup.

One thing...I would have gone with an Antec PSU....sacrifice the quietness there for reliability...if that other PSU isn't as good of quality there's a better chance of it going and taking components with it...but thats just what I woulda done

One thing...I would have gone with an Antec PSU....sacrifice the quietness there for reliability...if that other PSU isn't as good of quality there's a better chance of it going and taking components with it...but thats just what I woulda done

I did think about this for awhile. My current PSU is an Antec 350W, and I can't say anything bad about it. I took the time and read the reviews on all the products, and decided the Thermaltake was a good choice.

Edited by Crimson

I've been researching PC Cases for days and days. When I read the details on this little Jewel here I was whippin-out that credit card "like yesterday" .

It also looks like you could fit a variety of Mainboards in this thing. Its gonna be fun throwing good quality hardware into this beauty !! :thumbsup:

i was wondering if that same Power pak will make a difference with that CPU? 

I assume you mean power supply. :unsure: If so, then yes, it's working perfectly. Nice and quiet, with good, stable voltages. I take it you are buying the Xaser III?

Edit - Shadow was right. I would pick up a few molex splitters also. ;)

Edit 2 - Heres some shots of it at my place:

TopPlugins.jpg

One Firewire slot, two USB 2.0's, and a plugin for your mic and headset.

SideWindow.jpg

My lovely wiring job. :wacko::rolleyes:

LCDTempGauge.jpg

Theres the "Hardcano" LCD temp display that I've yet to hook up.

XaserIIIFront.jpg

And from the front, with my ADSL modem sitting on top of it.

The thing is BIG. Too big to fit in my dresser thing. (Whats the word? Not a dresser.) So now it sits on the carpet. :(

Edited by Crimson

as I said, I've been checking out diff-types of cases for weeks online and this Xaser III IS impressive. Extremely versatile with plenty of fan locations, which was the main concern here- "ventilation". Doubtful that i'll run the entire fan capacity that it accomidates and while hydronic cooling applications are on the market, this can take up much room in the case. Not that I won't have room in here for such an application. Liquid cooling....well, lets say that we all have the same fear i think.....something breaking loose and spewing all over the hardware and your back to square-one. I'm just doing my homework. And again, the feeback i've received through these forums has been extremely helpful. Certainly I can pre-order a custom job online "made-to-order but I'll save a few hundred going this way. As for the case itself?......it's on its way as we speak :thumbsup:

Sweeeeeeeet!

Today I installed my AS5 and Vantec AeroFlow... now for the results:

Stock HS/F - Idle 41C | Full Load 50C

AeroFlow HS/F - Idle 33C | Full Load ~37C

This is with an OC'ed 2500+ Barton @ 11x187.

:rocky:

Edited by Crimson

11-133-105-07.JPG

You see where your floppy drive would go? Below that is where you can place your hard drive(s), and below that they're should be two different sizes of grey mounts.

When you find em, look at them carefully to make sure you got a L(eft) and a R(ight) mount.

Edit -

mounts.jpg

They're in red.

Edited by Crimson

Did you get it all hooked up Cruusher?

It can be a pain, I didn't bother hooking up that yellow black cord, which only tells you when your case is open. :rolleyes: I also unhooked those little black cords in the front, which stops the "Thermaltake" on the front of the case from lighting up blue.