CartelMap

DGSE_Valdez

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im gonna have to check this one out. it may be high poly but at least we can get a taste of what faster machines and future map can bringe us.

but one question for scripting what effect on the gaming would it have to draw back the clipping a touch and just fog it a little more.(not a fan of fog but it has its place)

puts RSE to shame big time.

I'll refrain from profanity, but Ill give you a hint at what I think of that comment. Longest finger up.

I'll refrain from profanity also but Im sure you can guess where to put that long finger.

if you dont like my comments dont read them. Im just as much entitled to an opinion as you are.

Does anyone remember Ausiguy's Downtown map? Does anyone play it. This was a sweet looking map with revolving doors, tons of windows, cool textures. I'd bet that no one plays it or has for quite some time. It was just too much. How about his Carribbean Missle Crisis map? How many missions were scripted for that one? My point is, great maps but they werent practical.

I must agree with Sleeper. If a map is pretty much unplayable what good is it. I've got both Ausiguy's maps and although they look great I get no use what so ever out of them. Trafic C doesn't even run good on my PC and it's not exactly a weakling. I'm almost sure this new one wouldn't work any better. :( Guess I'd have to get a killer PC to even think about maps like these. :wall:

Edited by KRP 56

Does anyone remember Ausiguy's Downtown map? Does anyone play it. This was a sweet looking map with revolving doors, tons of windows, cool textures. I'd bet that no one plays it or has for quite some time. It was just too much. How about his Carribbean Missle Crisis map? How many missions were scripted for that one? My point is, great maps but they werent practical.

I must agree with Sleeper. If a map is pretty much unplayable what good is it. I've got both Ausiguy's maps and although they look great I get no use what so ever out of them. Trafic C doesn't even run good on my PC and it's not exactly a weakling. I'm almost sure this new one wouldn't work any better. :( Guess I'd have to get a killer PC to even think about maps like these. :wall:

what kind of video card are you using and how much system ram do you have.

the cartel map is slow on my machine but the traffic map runs at full speed.

Im using a pentium 900mhz with an ATI 9200 card.

sony vaio

p4 h/t

2.6ghz

1.5gb ram

radeon 9800xt 256mb vid card

120 hd

im gettin in between late 40's and 100 also

with everything on high

gr screen on 1024x768x32

and with powerstrip on

i over clocked it aswell

432 engine

380 memory

and i think i can over clock her some more

its all good baby YEAAAAH!!!!!

The map is a work of art. I averaged around 30 fps in the walkthrough. I don't think a mission will be playable on this without a high end system which is too bad. None of the doors have sound in my version which also detracts from it. I also noticed a lot of critical areas in IGOR where the path links are broken. That will create problems for the AI.

The map is visually quite impressive. The foliage is more what I thought GR should be like, and the amount of detail indoors is nice, too. My framerates were low in some spots, but surprisingly good in others. The lack of door sounds is definitely disturbing. I noticed the path problems as well. I had to duck to get into the tower.

Alot of work went into this map. Too bad it's usability is low.

The map is visually quite impressive. The foliage is more what I thought GR should be like, and the amount of detail indoors is nice, too. My framerates were low in some spots, but surprisingly good in others. The lack of door sounds is definitely disturbing. I noticed the path problems as well. I had to duck to get into the tower.

Alot of work went into this map. Too bad it's usability is low.

What low framerate? All of this must be coming from people used to high end cards and frame rates of 100-200, because my rate was always around the usual high for me. I ran through the jungle while shooting my weapon at trees and there was no slow down. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, unless you consider 20-30 frames (about my max on most custom maps) a low rate, which I'm sure you do. Just turn your settings down. I run everything on low except for the .chr texture detail. And the trees are medium for me, and it still looks great.

I am in love with this map. Mission ideas are flowing through my head so rapidly it's making it spin.

Edited by snared_gambit

What low framerate?  All of this must be coming from people used to high end cards and frame rates of 100-200, because my rate was always around the usual high for me.

I usually get 30-40 with all medium settings (not a high-end card), occassional drops to 25. This map had me under 20 at all times. In SP, barely under 20 is barely manageable for me. In Coop or TvT it really isn't.

My old computer ran at about 20 FPS with all low settings (on a good day). I can guarantee you I would never have risen above 10 FPS on this map with that computer.

Also, keep in mind that the map had no enemies on it. A standard RSE map with no enemies on it gives me 60 FPS pretty consistently. Again, this map had me under 20 FPS with no enemies. Now imagine the 20-30 FPS hit I take from a full mission put onto this map. It'd be even more difficult to run.

True, I could move all my settings to low for this map, but most people out there that are already skirting by on low settings couldn't. People like me a few months ago before I got a new computer.

I do have a higher end card (Radeon 9500 pro) with settings on high. I could turn them down, but I really think to fully appreciate the visuals of this map you need high settings. Some places I dipped to 20-30, but I was surprised that most of the time I was running a very playable 40+. However, as H-Hour stated, with a lower card, you suffer.

Don't get me wrong, I love the map and think it's what GR should look like. (but what's up with that toilet? Hate to be the person who has to clean the bathroom :blink: )

Probably the guys at the FBI and NASA....they have Pentium 6's

:D

A new paradise arose !!! What a map.

Just to have a walk around here is enough !!!

What if you set the clipping plane closer and put a little (or a lot) fog in it, would that help the framerate ?

About broken path-links : that need to be fixed, else it's no fun playing this map. I hate it when you go secure a building and the rest of the team covers the frontdoor !

And we need someone who adds all the ambient sounds, and emitters in a mis-file, that would finifh it up. No door-sounds ? That needs to be done in max ? Ok another thing to be fixed...

My prayers has been answered!! At last, a map with all the foliage i want!! :rofl:

have you seen his other map, Traffic in Columbie. that map is just as impressive and the mission that comes with it is really nice.

i have a p4 2.4 with nvidia5200 128mb and 512 onboard and the map ran very good for me, changing the trees to low/high had no affect on frame rate fo me. i would have to say this is a good and playable map, still incomplete though, so i look forward to an update. there where some clipping errors, on low detail more that just a few. and a few small places where frame rate did drop, but i think that could be played with.( oh and one error where you can fall out of a building if you walk backwards to the window and turn around.

but over all i look forward to seeing what might be done with this map it was a pleasure to play on and i hope more ppl push the limits like this more often.

HI ALL!

TOF!!

merci infiniment de la carte, nous espèrent, toujours un jour, vous si u sont très aimable, peut faire un pour nous, qui n'a pas un ordinateur de powerfull, qui serait un geste généreux de vous, mais est jusqu'à vous, remercie encore de la CARTE.

RESPECT.

Before hand Thanks TOFF!!! again for the Contribution,nice MAP.

We try 6 guys play Multiplayer and was FUN to play with LAG ,Unfortunately some of them, still dont have HIGH END SYSTEM to run this kind o map.

Wanna try M.P in this kinda o maps , :) Need more than a MID-Range Syst.

Anyhow is a NICE LOOKING MAP!!

CHEERS.

P.S.Thanks DGSE Valdez for post the LINK :thumbsup:

Edited by Cuchillo*

Maybe the polys are ok, the map just needs optimization?

Having so few maps for GR these days seems to make these Vanity Maps even more painful ...If the modellers would take the time to work on the part that is 'under the hood' it could be fixed. Rather than complain, heres some stuff I experimented with that worked:

* Outdoor, hexagonal portals (6-60 degree offsets) spanning static trees (that dont sway) It is possible to improve framerate this way! I used a hex-grid layout (like an old war-game) for the portals and it actually worked ! I think it is due to viewing 2 of 3 portals in front of you once you have traversed more than 50% of the current portal and the view frustrum no longer insersects all 3 portals in front of you. This does reduce smoothing when turning slightly but 33% of the time there is an improvement, on average.

* Outdoor/indoor dynamic occluders. the @p tag is an undocumented occluder portal. you can copy them from the mp06_castle map example released with the IT cd extras. the @p walls prevents rendering of entire polygon groups and all dynamic objects within the current portal. This smooths out framerate within the current portal and prevents the CPU from even considering objects that have been hand-occluded by the map maker. This gave me about 10 fps more than without them, and in a large MP game (30+ players with explosives) it made even more difference on framerate. HX5 Turkish City map: We tested a version with no occluders for 1 week, then with them for a week. 60 fps was not uncommon. 40 fps was norm. The map has just under 80,000 polys with a 225m view distance.

building my own map and having it work that well with so many polys makes me wonder why people wouldnt want to spend a couple extra hours and get their janky low-fps maps to actually be playable. seems like a waste of time not to optimize and portalize, IMO.