Let's just make GR2...

Tortfeaser

Surely there is enough talent here to just MAKE a follow on first person tactical squad based shooter that would be what GR 2 should be...We dont' hve to call it GR2 since that would be clear infringement.

Let's face it, the HL2 game (to those who have seen that illegal beta, which I am not one) is not that great, the STALKER game will be a huge dissapointment, ...COD is so scripted it is just not fun, Far Cry looks like a cartoon (a lot of folks will be upset when it finally comes out) and on, and on...

I can't model, map, script, or do jack **** and I can barely turn a computer on, but I can help in other significant ways...

Anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Let's face it, the HL2 game (to those who have seen that illegal beta, which I am not one) is not that great, the STALKER game will be a huge dissapointment,

Far Cry looks like a cartoon (a lot of folks will be upset when it finally comes out) and on, and on...

Blasphemy!! :o:nono:

Stalker won't be an military shooter, rather a fallout fps game, it has nothing to do with simulating realistic small unit combat in any way.

The damn ejectorport is modeled on the opposite side for the sake of "coolness", the dev's are saying that "it's more real if you can se something happen when yoh shoot the gun" twats...

Far cry IS looking like a cartoon, way too colorful and the physics are preposterous.

HL2 on the other hand, the game may or may not be very good, but the source engine is great! The AI is the best I've seen in a game so far, the ambition is where it should be, valve isn't doing stuff just for the sake of "coolness", they're trying (just like ID) to manufacture the nextgen of 3d engines which could be used for any game.

The Doom3 engine would be better for smaller enviroments though, old ID tradition.

Edited by simulacra

Stalker won't be an military shooter, rather a fallout fps game, it has nothing to do with simulating realistic small unit combat in any way.

The fact that Stalker won't be a realistic military shooter just isn't disappointing to me and many others at all. Not every game i play has to be a realistic military sim for me to enjoy it.

And Far Cry might look 'cartoonish' but that doesn't mean it won't be a blast to play the game. I don't see either game as being a Ghost Recon 'replacement', that wasn't my hope. There just gonna be cool kick ###### games with awesome graphics and cool physics. And sweet guns to shoot with 'ejectorports' on the wrong side! :o=

I'm still hoping eventually GR2 will replace GR1, although with Ubi in charge those hopes are fading fast. :angry:

Umm, with regards to HL2 I read in the PCGamer UK magazine that the illegal beta is just that, a beta!! In fact it was reported that this was quite an old version of HL2 that many features that are to be included in the main version weren't even in this beta copy.

I never D/L'd it myself, I've never played a HL game in my life anyway, so I'll gladly wait until the full version comes out, especially so as my ATI XT card includes a free copy of it for me!! :D

the only porb at the moment for all these modders to get a new game going would be the engine. the skill and "substance" is definatly there, but the effort that must be involved on the engine side would be considerable. there are many free and or very inexpensive engines out there but with out a doubt they would have to be moddified to best suit the "style" there are some that i have been watching that look promising but are unfinished to say the least. and most are simple renderers, the rest of the game code would still have to be created ie, physics, collision, scripting, dev environment, netcode, animation, modified camera, ect.. the list goes on.

but i still feel that if these guys got together they could do it there are lots of source code and free engines/subsistems out there that can get them started, and with there talent level i would give it a 1 year plus 6month beta and they could do it.

but would it be free, shareware,commercial?

if these guys did it i know i would be willing to pay/ even donated to the "cause" if they chose to make it free.

p.s. ive actually be looking into this and researching for a while(about 1.5 years ) so if any modders have the cajones to do it i can give you all the links and info i have found so you wont have to spend all that time searching.

pps you can do this and maybe make some decent money

Edited by *NSO*Suli

• 2 weeks later...
Surely there is enough talent here to just MAKE a follow on first person tactical squad based shooter that would be what GR 2 should be...We dont' hve to call it GR2 since that would be clear infringement.

Hey, that's exactly what we are doing here:

http://s3.invisionfree.com/game_project

We've only just started the project, but the engine is all up and running (we are using the acknex engine).

Basicly all we need now are models, maps, some AI coding (i've already got a basic AI system setup), sounds and a storyline of some sort and we've got a covert ops millitary sim.

Check out our forum (link above) and add your ideas or give us feedback. Feel free to help with the project in anyway you want.

I've been messing with A5 and A6 (trial). Somethings are promising, some things I'm not to keen on.

How far along on this project are you, and how realistic are you going? Are you going to replace the physics and ballistics systems that exist? Are you going to use the Mythic AI plugin? What about MP?

feel free to email me

So far we've just got basic weapons, AI and vehicle physics (yes, you can jump into vehicles, and drive around :D ).

We don't have any models yet, apart from freely available models which may suit (2 terrorists, a humvee, a blackhawk, a littlebird chopper, a dump truck :blink:, a jeep, 4 tanks...and a few other things.

We are going to include the option for full realism - one shot kill, iron sights etc, but still allow an option for semi-realism for players used to games like CS or COD.

I actually only have A5, so I'm not sure about the A6 physics exactly, but I'm pretty sure that I can do the coding for physics required in the game, without using existing physics...although if they suit, we may use them.

Multi-player may be included further down the track...I did a quick multiplayer test, and ran into some problems with player movement on the client PC, bit I think I can fix this. As yet, we are not going to use the Mythic AI, due to cost, however if I can't get my AI code up to scratch, we may have to resort to using it.

If you have any further questions or comments, post on our forum http://s3.invisionfree.com/game_project

Thanks.