XM8 weapons mod.

SnowFella

Well the wait is over, been so for nearly 20 hours for GR.net supporters :whistle: , and it's now time for a full public release.

The mod weighs in at just under 5meg and has kindly been mirrored at fileplanet by Rocky...download link below.

XM8 Armory

If there are Mac users out there who experience any problems with using an .exe installer just shoot me an email at snowfella@snowfella-modworks.com and I'll provide a download link for a .zip version.

Snow

:P will not let me dowqnload it for some reason...shame...really wanted to try it....hawk

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy have I missed a lot.

Awesome stuff SF. Just downloaded and have yet to try it out but it's great to have another mod released by you. If memory serves the last one you put out on your own was the Shrike mod. How far you've come.... :yes:

Now what are the three engines you're working on mods for? GR, VBS1(?), ?

Thanks mate. :D And the Shrike mod was indeed my last mod to be released, and first mod too..lol

Had my hands in a few other mods along the way but only doing small parts so it feels good to finally release something of my own, even if I had alot of help by Lancer and Thumper also shipped in 2 models. ;)

And the other engines are HL2 and GR2...2 still unreleased un-knowns...lol

We'll see if an L85/AG36 combo makes it into this patch. Would take quite alot of work to cut polys on the AG36 model I have and even if I did some very efficient polycutting the combo would end up well above what I considder a limit. Setting it up as it is now takes the polygon count up to a wooping 3600 polys :wacko:

The SA80/AG36 Combo from British Infantry Mod isn't quite as detailed as I expected it would be. But 3600 polys? This one will definitely be like a 1st-person model! :clapping:

Put it like this mate...at 3600 polys it's lowbudget compared to my original model that comes in at around 7200 polys :P Probably get killed for this but here goes anyways. :unsure:

sa80_final1.jpg

L85A1 original, 5600 polys...give or take a few

l85-ag36.jpg

L85A1/AG36, 7200 polys...give or take a few

l85a2carbine.jpg

L85A2 Carbine, 5800 polys...give or take a few

l86-lsw.jpg

L86A1, 7100 polys...give or take a few

All the above models that are in A1 configuration (see the cocking handle) have later been redone to A2 config, just don't have any decent renders of them at the moment.

At 3600 it's still way to high for GR use though, it will run ingame but there will be detail there that never will be seen. Better to cut even more polys off and let the texture do the work, as I've done on the L85 in XM8 armory. It started as the above L85 and had it's polygon count cut down to around 2400, I doubt you would notice any difference on it's ingame look if I had used the high detail one.

Snow

Thanks guys

Sure did have some fun creating those highpoly models, in one way it's easier to do then making GR models. You pretty much just model in all the details you can see instead of having to deside what should be in the model and what should be in the texture.

And some mixed news on the XM25, it's finished and ingame but it does have some buggs created by the way the GR engine handles grenade launchers (motiontype 4 weapons). Seems that when you set a weapon to this type GR simple disregards the lefthandpoint and reverts to using default handplacement, in other words you are going to have to live with the lefthand hovering underneath the weapon. :(

M25_2.jpg

DAMN... I missed allot... WOW... nice model snow. Have you tried to place the Left hand point HIGHER so it seems that it will(when being used) to be placed right where it should be. The model to me looks a little large for scale... but thats just me. Other than that... wow.... :thumbsup:

The scale indeed seems alittle to big but as I don't have any accurate info on how big this thing is I've simply just scaled it compared to the standard XM8...making the pistolgrip the same size. I'll try to take the scale down by another 10% though to see what it looks like.

@Boris: might want to take a look in my earlier post mate ;) Lancer and I spent over an hour trying to get the lefthand point correctly placed before coming to the conclusion that for Weaponmotiontype 4 (grenadelaunchers) GR uses a hardcoded lefthand placement. We came to this conclusion by moving the lefthandpoint to an absurd position and testing it ingame...with no changes to the handplacement. When we changed the weapontype in the .gun file to motiontype 1 (AR's) the character started using the strangely placed helperpoint.

So unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about the way the character holds the XM25.