XM8 weapons mod.

SnowFella

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

un rar the files and then clicky click on the installer, create a new folder in your mod folder and name it XM-8 armoury or what ever, and install it into there, but its should be right just installing it to the default directory snow gives you.

Start GR, goto the options and activate the mod :thumbsup:

Snow... As justified as you are... the recoil is a bit more since the weapon IS lighter... but that would even out with the holding of the weapon. Holding a 15 lbs weapon and shooting it( for me Black Powder Muzzle Loader with 70 grains, light patch and full sized ball) versus a lighter weapon (22) the 22 would be more accurate becasue its easier to control... so the stableization time I feel is a bit off... also since the weapon is easier to control it should have a smaller hit area UNTIL the weapon is fired... then a recoil... then again the recoil would be reduced due to the XM8's advanced spring stock ability (springs mounted in the stock and the extention stock part to reduce recoil) and would reduce recoild by some bit. The sounds aren't bad but I think that they should be changed a bit depending upon the size of the barrell(longer the barrel the lower and louder the sound, the shorter the barrel the higher and softer the sound is). Haveing fired many weapons in my days while only at a young age(wont discolse for certain reasons) but it is still the basics. Ex. The HX36 K and the HX36 C DONT sound the same even though they use the same ammunition and the same base system (main section and stock) with the difference of the barrel. I Have shot a 12 guage sg then the same weapon but the barrel ,shorter version, for educational pourposes and it sounded completely different. Well anyways it IS YOUR mod so you call the shots... I am just putting in feedback. :mellow:

Edited by Boris.

If you think the gun stats are not what you would like, why not go into igor and change them to what you want, it's not hard to do. (as long as you keep the altered version for personal use of course, and don't release it with out the permission of the creater of the origional) That way you can make the gun behave however you see best.

Personally, we rushed this mod. Given the number of PM's Snow was getting he, then we, got influenced into releasing it about 7 days too early IMHO. Given our current RL work schedules I'm stunned we actually got it out by our self imposed deadline.

As for the sounds? Well we again got influenced by the need/desire to keep it as small as possible. Shall we say that a fair bit of ear/eye candy landed on the cutting room floor.

LOL... @Jay136... I know about the .gun files verry well so I HAVE changed them but I've placed them in MY mod folder to keep the originals as un-altered as possible. I am about to re-do the compact version of the XM8 using Snow's textures... his textures blow my mind... I realy dont know how he does it. Anyways... I am also about to start the XM-25 I plan on using in MY mod and if snow would like I'll gladly donate it to go along and fit in juuuust right with the XM8 armoury. hehehehe :-D In the guns I am creating using the XM8 models and the textures... I haved dig'd up a few fairly good sounds for the different varients... most of which are from other mods or the orginmiss mod.

Edited by Boris.

Seems this mod has had abit of a divided welcome, and pretty slow downloads too for that matter as it hasn't even broken the 100 download mark. Oh well..that was to be expected with GR slowly dying out before our eyes.

I do agree with Lancer that we rushed the release of this thing, should of taken more time to beta test it. As a matter of fact it isn't beta tested at all, all I made sure of was that the models showed up ok ingame. Any input is most welcome as I have started planning on a patch to adress some issues brought up, the question is just how far you guys want's us to go with said patch. We could go all the way and include different sounds for pretty much all the different variants, this at the cost of an increased download size.

Included will be a new model of the XM25, showed it a long time ago without texture but I've now stared some work on texturing it.

xm25.jpg

Early WIP shot, mainly the sight, some cleaning up and ageing to do.

@Boris: I guess you can use those textures aslong as you know that they were handpainted by myself and are therefore the intellectual property of me. At no time can they be publicly released in a mod of your making without my explicit permission. Sorry for the hard line but I've had models stolen and used in other mods and to be frank that ###### me off to no end! I've spent countless hours infront of the computer creating the models and textures, all with an underlaying medical problem that makes time spent infront of the computer very painful.

Yes folks, Snowfella has got one wrist (the right one to make matters worse) that is pretty much stuffed. Combine RSI (Repetative Strain Injury), accuired from work, with some ligament and cartilige damage that I got while playing volleyball in my youth and moving the computer mouse gets pretty uncomfortable. I've even been recommended to either take plenty of time off from work, something I can't afford, or cut my computer hours drasticly. I've chosen neither! :wacko:

As for different sounds, both Lancer and I are ex-service men and have also fired our fair share of weaponry over the years so we are well aware of the different sounds different barrel lengths make. In my case I'm also accutely aware of the fact that atleast to me a light weapon makes it harder for me to have good accuracy, something I found out testing the M16A1 diring my service. A heavier ones just seems to lay steadier in my hands and won't move asmuch due to inertia. Lighter and thus with less inertia does on the other hand mean that you can shift aim quicker......But this is stuff we all already know about.

Snow

I for one appreciate all you've done. I've also been waiting for an XM25 for some time, so I'm definately excited about that.

One thing I noticed though, was that the MP7 looks a little odd when slung (I made a kit for a sniper w/ it as a "side arm")

would the patch include a SA80 with grenade launcher? heheh oh btw SF, since u got all the models there in your hrddrve, how does an xm8 look with a masterkey shotgun underneath it? Ugly? any pic?

As for GR1 dying out? maybe, but hell im still playing it! i just hope The Hk MOd gets fnshedbefore you modders shift to GR2:) or Vbs1 :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work regardless as I know a server full of OldFarts that won't let this game die out lol. (Could be that they're to old to try something new)

They like the work put into the Mod and look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

would the patch include a SA80 with grenade launcher? heheh oh btw SF, since u got all the models there in your hrddrve, how does an xm8 look with a masterkey shotgun underneath it? Ugly? any pic?

As for GR1 dying out? maybe, but hell im still playing it! i just hope The Hk MOd gets fnshedbefore you modders shift to GR2:) or Vbs1 :thumbsup:

SA80 with AG36 sounds good. It'll be a lot better than the one in BIM.

that XM25 looks, um, potent. (i know the word 'potent' will change to 'promising' very soon!) One thing comes to mind: is there any OICW model which is better-looking and have more polys than the stock?

Good question about the XM29, I've never seen a better model, just a redone texture or two.

As for GR dying out, I have never found a more enjoyable tactical first person shooter, especially with all the mod support it has enjoyed over the years. My friends and I will be playing this for a while to come.

Furthermore, I directly IMed this mod to about 4 ppl after I downloaded it, so you gotta take that into account with the number of downloads!

As happy as I was... looks like I'm on the back of the bus with Ideas... first I wanted to make an NTW-20...someone allready made that one... then a Tribes Mod... someones allready done that... Then I decide to make a splinter cell mod... someones allready claimed that too... and now the XM25 which I just finished makeing the 2d model and now my hopes are crushed again. Snow... I didn't want to "publish" the BM1 mod, I wanted to use some of the weapons and misc. for a lan party... thats all along with personal use. Well since I'm at the rear of everything... I guess I can help with ya snow... I was thinking about re-makeing a model for the XM-29 OICW and a model of the (I think) OSIW* I thnk it is... Its similar to the GL on the OICW but its an enire weapon.. its pretty big and it has I think a 25 round 20mm magazine in a ammo box-detached or attached. Snow.. I'm sorry to hear the part about the models but I wish I could help but with school and my parents yelling down my back every five minutes... I dont have all the time I thought I would. :'( Sorry if I got your bloodpreasure though the roof there. I never thought about hand painting(via PSP8 or Adobe Photoshop) textures before... thats a pretty good idea.

Edited by Boris.

We'll see if an L85/AG36 combo makes it into this patch. Would take quite alot of work to cut polys on the AG36 model I have and even if I did some very efficient polycutting the combo would end up well above what I considder a limit. Setting it up as it is now takes the polygon count up to a wooping 3600 polys :wacko:

@Boris: no worries about the bloodpressure, was slready up after a pretty misserable 10 hour shift at work. Probably layed in just that bit hard on this matter and for that I'm sorry.

As far as it comes to mods for private and "in house/clan" use I've always had a single line, if you want the models in it go for it! I even know one perticular mob who's nicked SWEBAT stuff to use in their personal mod, easy as one of the SWEBAT team is part of that clan, and I have no problem with it what so ever. It's only when things gets released to the public that I want to be given the chance to say "yay or nay".

As for the HK mod...right now I have 4 serious projects going (not counting the HK mod) for 3 different engines. That's more than what I easily can handle, especially with not being able to spend much time infront of the computer without having to take regular breaks, so unfortunately the HK mod is on the backburner. All I really have are a bunch of MP5's and some other untextured models so it's not all that much of a loss.

Since my ideas have apperently been taken by the notourious Snofella about some of the weapons... I have a lineup for kits if you'd like to use them... the onlything is that I wanted to incorperate the XM-25 but you've allready got'n a good model by the looks of the screenie so I wont continue IN-Depth. If you wish though I dug up/ stumbled upon a GREAT XM-29 OICW texture for a re-modeled OICW I wish to donate to your cause. Give me a ring for any answeres... P.S. The BM1 mod was supposed to have the XM8, XM25, XM29(redone) and a new OSIW* I thnk its called allong with a HUGE line of anti-material rifles including the RT-20 (HX5 mod) to the Steyr AWS 2000 (dont think anybodys made.... yet) so yea I've got my job cut for me for a few days. Be glat to see the patch and all the goodies it can contain. :devil: