Scale models

SnowFella

Scale models were one of my childhood hobbies that I've lately started up again, before GR modding came in its way that is. Just wondering if there is anyone else in this forum with the same hobby?

Here's 2 of my latest models to be built, both in scale 1/48. Acctually the 2 only models I can photo since all my earlier models were to hard to bring with me from Sweden to Australia. Sorry about the bandwith heavy images.

f15_a10.jpg

A10 Thunderbolt 2 (Warthog)

a10_top.jpg

a10_side.jpg

a10_cockpit.jpg

F15 Eagle

f15_top.jpg

f15_side.jpg

f15_cockpit.jpg

There's also an F16 Falcon (Block 40) and an F14 Tomcat laying in a drawer waiting to be built whenever I can find the time.

Snow

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love making airfix models, I mainly focused on the WWII era though, I had a few landing craft, a few panzer tanks, millions of mini soldiers, quite a few planes (Spitfire, Mosquito, etc)< I also had a Sikorsky HH-53c Super Jolly Green Jiant chopper. I had a couple more things, but I can't remember them.

Anyway, they all got airsofted... :rambo:

I've got about 15-20 NASCAR WC/Nextel cars and one Craftsman Truck model done. Unfortunately, as dagger said, little brothers like to mess with stuff they aren't supposed to.

I'll try and get a picture up of one or two of them. ;)

i built a crap load of German WWII tanks over the years but then i got a bb gun and they went bye bye :o=

Working on a german Panther Ausf a right now just have to learn how to paint camo

an easy way i found to paint some was to give them a rough coat of field grey then a thin coat of matt white thus giving it a winter look

I build scale models as part of my job. they are usually buildings and scnery, due to the fact i work for an opera company. i have kept most of them, the buildings and stuff work for HO scale for model RR. but i have yet to lay any track yet :blink:

one day when the kids move out. I plan on having one massive multi room layout. ;) if thewife lets me :shifty:

hartog

I built models as I grew up. I started with ships then went on to airplanes. To bad I don't have any pics around of the ones I used to have. I built planes from WW2 to modern day aircraft. I had a 1/72 scale model of a B-52 and finally blew it up in the backyard with firecrackers as it flew thru the air. :devil:

I had them all hanging from the ceiling in my room. I even had a F4U4 Corsair in a dogfight with a Mitubishi Zero. :whistle:

Guest SI-Prozac

i had a whole squadron of f14 tomcats =P

but they fell victim to 800 rounds... i mean 800 firecrackers.

was the best weakend of blowign stuff up ever....

nothing as good as that thoe ... thoes look great....

thought about building one not long ago... might have to do that.

Those look good man!

It's a great hobby. I do it myself. Started at the 1/72 scale WWII airplanes, then moved on to 1/48. Then I tried my hands on some battle ships, but I didn't like those.

Now I only make land warfare models. 1/32 scale. Mostly WW2 stuff, but I have a Warrior and some desert rats model for my 1991 Gulf War diorama. I haven't even touched them yet. Just got home and am looking forward to finishing a WW2 diorama I've started a long time ago.

Out.

i built a crap load of German WWII tanks over the years but then i got a bb gun and they went bye bye :o=

Working on a german Panther Ausf a right now just have to learn how to paint camo

an easy way i found to paint some was to give them a rough coat of field grey then a thin coat of matt white thus giving it a winter look

Might try that on my next tank model if i ever get to it

Thanks for all the kind words :D

I did alot of building together with my dad when I was younger, mostly planes, but those 2 are my first real models built as an adult and on my own. Well, apart from a tiny little Jaguar fighterjet in scale 1/72 that proved to be to fiddly for me. Got to clumsy fingers to handle 1.72 so I chose to build 1/48 models, would of been 1/32 if the wife wouldn't of innocently asked where in the heck we could put big things like that :wacko: . Only downside to it right now is that I'd love to build some of the Swedish fighterjets in 1/48 but they are kinda hard to come by downunder :(

Some day in the future when I can take a break from building virtual models in 3dsm I might just break out that half finished F16 model that the Shrike mod so suddently put on hold.

Okay, whats the best way of painting silver (enamel) paint? Its all stringy and nasty to control.

Due to unsteady hands, most of my paint jobs are pretty poor, advice welcome.

One minor tip I have found, if you are doing something in one solid colour, use spray paint, it gives a much better finish than a paint brush.

I used to make military scale model until I got into Japanese Models the likes of Gundam.

I built this Five Star Stories model just because it didnt look like a Gundam

Took me 4 months to build.

Until I came home and saw that there were "little ppl" in the house and my "spidey sense" told me to run and save my models.

The "little ppl (kids)" were unsupervised and got a hold of my models.

One had a "head" on his left hand and a "leg" on his right hand.

That put a stop on my modelling. :(

I haven't used silver enamel that much but did use plenty of gunmetal enamel for that F15 and that has the same problems. I just had to stir the paint a heck of alot before painting and put on multiple pretty thin layers, eventually it turns out ok. One tip if the surface you are trying to paint on is very smooth and slick to rub it softly using steelwool, gives a slightly rougher surface that the paint adheres to easier.

And magnumkp, lay off the coffe mate ;) I found that out the hard way trying to paint on of the pilots after 3 cups. Never seen a messier paintjob in my life!

Seriously though, painting freehand is hard to do without shaking. Just support your hand against something and it should help some.

Snow

Okay, whats the best way of painting silver (enamel) paint? Its all stringy and nasty to control.

Due to unsteady hands, most of my paint jobs are pretty poor, advice welcome.

One minor tip I have found, if you are doing something in one solid colour, use spray paint, it gives a much better finish than a paint brush.

Use an air brush. Go to your local art supply store and buy one, if you're interested in more serious modelling.

Air brushes are the best things out there to apply paint (except maybe for really small details) especially when you start painting camouflage on tanks and such. It's also great for weathering. Get glossy black paint, mix it with thinner, alot of it, then spray it...it'll look like a coating of engine oil. With enamel paints, sometimes it's too thick. So, like Slink said, use thinner. Apply several coats, with a base coat (white if you're painting silver). Control the amount of paint you spray though.

Enamel paint and brushes don't mix well. It's too thick! You're going to have to mix in alot of (sometimes too much) thinner to work with it using a paint brush.

So, what are you making anyway? A commercial plane? A car?

found that out the hard way trying to paint on of the pilots after 3 cups. Never seen a messier paintjob in my life!

Seriously though, painting freehand is hard to do without shaking. Just support your hand against something and it should help some.

Right. Supporting your arms definitely works. Also, if I might add a little something, see if you can construct something to hold your figures without you having to hold it with your hand, so you can just turn it around and paint all sides with ease. I usually use toothpick.

Tooth pick is also an excellent tool. If you want to paint, say, camouflage uniform on 1/32 scale figures, the patterns are best made with toothpick. Give it a shot! ;)

Hope this helps a bit.

Out.

Edited by xG5kdo

So, what are you making anyway? A commercial plane? A car?

You'll find out tomorrow :ph34r: IF my new digital camera arrives. I'll give you a few shots of my "workbench", previous models, and stuff I'm working on now. As I said some of the paint jobs aren't that good, but I enjoy doing them and that's all that matters to me.

Thanks for the advice one and all. I got some thinners today, and gave it a really good stir and that seemed to have helped (it was all proper kosha (sp?) paint, Humbrol and Revell).