Ghost Recon.net Forums

Video card suggestions please

I know I know, can of worms....

I have around £140 ($250 USD) to spend on a graphics card (thanks to you guys and gals :thumbsup: ) and I am ready for the upgrade!

Any suggestions? The GeForce FX5700 seems to be around the sort of card I can expect for that outlay - yeh?

I know I know, can of worms....

I have around £140 ($250 USD) to spend on a graphics card (thanks to you guys and gals :thumbsup: ) and I am ready for the upgrade!

Any suggestions? The GeForce FX5700 seems to be around the sort of card I can expect for that outlay - yeh?

The exact one I'll be getting soon! :D

I'm throughly in love with my Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb (Bulit by ATi)...here in the US that card now retails for about $298.00 ... only $40 more than what you have :whistle:....personally I thought I was going to stick with Nvidia, but ATi has really gotten their drivers together and there current cards are a step ahead of Nvidia at the moment IMO...

Please don't hurt me Nvidia fans tomato.gif

i as well am considering an upgrade....but found out recently that my motherboard is at it's max... :( ....1.2 celeron & 512mb sdram(133), i have no AGP slots only PCI so as far as i know 128mb is the largest card i can purchase at the moment...i currently have a 64mb g4 mx420....will upgrading to a 128 make that much of a diff with my current system specs?

any input would be welcome, and sorry to piggyback on your thread rocky, just figured would be pointless to make another... ;)

@ ~NkOgNiTo~ not realy bud sorry to say most pci cards are slower than their agp brothers, im not too familiar with all the pci cards available but i believe the gf4 mx 440 pci is about as good as it gets .

im not sure if its the same for the pci cards but my old geforce 4 ti 4200 was a 64 bit card and the ram was faster than the 128 versions, the 128 just helped with more intense games

@ ~NkOgNiTo~ not realy bud sorry to say most pci cards are slower than their agp brothers, im not too familiar with all the pci cards available but i believe the gf4 mx 440 pci is about as good as it gets .

im not sure if its the same for the pci cards but my old geforce 4 ti 4200 was a 64 bit card and the ram was faster than the 128 versions, the 128 just helped with more intense games

Yep, that's true. If you want to run the more advanced games, at higher detail and quality settings, your best decision would be to purchase an AGP-type card. The AGP Bus enables higher data transfer rates than their PCI counterparts.

@ Snakebite,

That's correct as well - the 64MB card was faster than the 128 version. I was running the 64MB PNY Technologies for awhile, and got consistantly higher frame rates with most games. The 64MB version DDR is clocked at 513MHz, and the 128Mb version is clocked at 444MHz. You can find some aftermarket manufacturers such as ASUS or MSI that clock their cards a tad higher.

@ Rocky,

I must give another vote for the 9800 PRO. I'm happy with it, and though I have a few issues with games, I believe it is more my 1st Generation motherboard model that is the problem.

I know you're more a nVidia fan, so perhaps you should consider the FX5700 Ultra version.

EDIT: Rocky, no matter which card you decide on, I highly recommend you leaf through the customer reviews on the card models you're considering. That way, you'll also have peace of mind with your decision.

@ Dark Ranger i agree i was running an MSI gf4 ti 4200 itr had the 4600 cooling system on it and was always very stable no matter what i threw at it game wise or overclock wise, in fact its still running strong in another pc right now overall the best bang for a buck i ever purchased

@ Rocky id have to agree as well if u dont fancy switching to the dark side then a 5700 ultra is realy the only choice in that price range

Edited by snakebite1967

yeah i am well aware of the benifits of AGP, just too bad i didn't know it when i got my PC 2 yrs ago... :( ....wish i had a agp slot cuz for $40 buck more i could get the 256 instead of the 128 i was looking at....well i'll probably just stick with what i have untill i can swing a new PC...thx guys.

I just bought a generic GF FX 5600 w/256MB RAM for about 80 bucks I think...it works pretty good...

After my high dollar video card burned up awhile ago...I've never gone with something overly expensive...

As far as Radeon and Geforce...I've read good things about both...so that decision will have to be a choice you make...

@Rocky - oh yeah...and ITS ABOUT TIME YOU UPGRADED THAT VIDEO CARD...what are you running...3DFX or something like that...  :lol:

Kidding boss...only kidding...  :devil:

LOL, that was on my last PC. This is a GeForce 2 MX 400, I thought it was running NFS:UG with good frames, but actually when I check, they are pretty poor and I do get occasional slow down - so time to upgrade!! It#ll also help with all these movies I am grabbing with FRAPS too :thumbsup:

Yeah, I will update the pics and include where it goes. Glad to know that it is a hit page.

I may go for the 5959 Ultra, but at least the 5900 Ultra. I have been chomping at the bits for a while about a new vid card and one of those fits the bill as I completely missed the GF4 series and I didn't feel the need for one with a GF3 that wasn't really that old.

Yeah, I will update the pics and include where it goes. Glad to know that it is a hit page.

I may go for the 5959 Ultra, but at least the 5900 Ultra. I have been chomping at the bits for a while about a new vid card and one of those fits the bill as I completely missed the GF4 series and I didn't feel the need for one with a GF3 that wasn't really that old.

The 5950 doesn't really give enough of a boost to justify the extra cost over the 5900.

atleast you wont hear that vid cooler over your voclano 9 i know its the only thing i hear

What Volcano 9? That took a dump when my power supply went south way back in May. I got a Vantec Aeroflow to replace it (the good news is, that was the only thing that went belly up when the PS died).

SB, from a GF3 Ti 500 to a GF FX 5950 I think it would warrant the few extra bucks, wouldn't you? Remember I will stretch the card at least 2 years.

@Rocky, how goes your search for a vid card?