I want to buy a 9mm Pistol

Dick Splash

I'm looking to buy one or two pistols in the not too distant future. Something you can't do in Britain. I want a new, modern pistol and have been looking at Berettas and Glocks. Ideally I'd like a Military spec rather than a civilian variant if possible. The Police here in town have .40 Walthers, but I'm set on 9mm as I used it in the army and I think the rounds are cheaper!

Anyway, if you could, what would you buy and where's the best place to buy firearms from in the US; online, pawn shops, gun shops or guns shows?

DS :santa:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go with something really different. It is a military spec, in Israel.

babyeagle.gif

These are the people who make it under license here in the US

In Israel it's called the Jericho

The reasons I like it are:

-It's metal. (We still don't know how well plastic will stand up over a period of decades. Don't give me defences for combat tuperware, I've heard them all. The fact remains, they haven't been around for hundreds of years, so we don't know if they will last for hundreds of years. I'd like to know that I can pass my guns on to my decendents.)

-It is a single action. (or if you prefer you can have it double action, you just have to ease the hammer down) I HATE double action only guns. They have terrible trigger pulls.

-It has polygon rifling. That means they took a piece of metal and twisted it to make the rifling, rather than drill it out. It make the gun very accurate and it makes it easier to clean.

CZ's are also good. The CZ 75 is similar the Baby Eagle.

When it comes to buying a gun (any gun, even if you decide to go with some gun that one these other people suggests :nono:), I'd go with a gun show. More than one dealer under the same roof, so it's easy to price shop.

Glock 17 or HK USP.

I've fired both, very nice guns. The glock is fairly heavy but had suprisingly low recoil. The USP was lighter but had a higher recoil... odd.

I suggest a .40 or .45 if you're gonna get a pistol.

Colt 1911A1 is a beautiful gun, great all the way around and I really reccomend it.

Ruger's P95 is great, and very affordable. I personally hate Glocks with a passion, so you won't get any high marks for them from me. Beretta is OK, but not worth the extra money. If you're looking in the $500-plus range, I'd look to Sig Sauer. For under $500, I'd look to the Ruger P95. Pre-ban high capacity mags can still be had for about $30 for that one.

Glock 19 Hands down the GLOCK is the best hand gun ever made...

I'm getting 1 for christmas....  my wife is good to me

IMHO, Glock is the worst gun ever made. Their trigger is a joke, as are their sights. I hate them. I'd rather be armed with a hammer than a Glock.

Yes. Someone else understands why Glocks suck.

Glock 19 Hands down the GLOCK is the best hand gun ever made...

I'm getting 1 for christmas....  my wife is good to me

IMHO, Glock is the worst gun ever made. Their trigger is a joke, as are their sights. I hate them. I'd rather be armed with a hammer than a Glock.

Well, I've fired a Beretta M92, a glock .40, and a Colt .45, and I can say I didn't like the glock much. Very wierd grip and the sights were awkward for me. I like the Beretta the best of the bunch, and the colt. Glock's at the bottom of my list.

I have been reading this thread with a grin on my face. Ok now we know what all you like in the ways of a a choice pistol. The questions that need to be ask are what is the primary use of the pistol. The size of the shooters hand and what he or she is confortable with in the way of a grip. The best pistol in the world would still suck if it was not a good fit in your hand. Next, I prefer .45 they still give the most bang for your buck, it comes with the love of the old 1911 that i shot when i was a young mp. But some do not like a .45, you might want to try the .40/ 10mm or the supered up 38, oh i mean 9mm. With the money that you are going to invest in a good pistol, try them, go to your local indoor range and test fire the pistols you are looking at. That should be the clencher.

Now back to the good stuff

more that $600, HK USP. 45

Less that $600 and glock with .45 calibre

My 2 cents worth

Splaster

@ Splaster -> Good point re what we all prefer...

Don't buy a gun based on the looks... Choose one that matches the purpose..

Having said that - I would go for the SIG P-210 model. :P

I've used it during my 12 years in the Air Force and it's very durable, accurate and powerful.

It's a 9mm full size handgun - no shortened barrel...

Go here to have a look: http://www.sigarms.com/products/p210.asp

It's a good and accurate gun for the firing range and it can stop an intruder.

However - I must say that I don't support buying a firearm if it is against your local law.

Check if it's legal to buy a firearm if you're a member of your local rifle club. Here in Denmark it's illegal to buy a gun for household :rolleyes: but if you are in a rifle club you can buy a gun (but you need to register the gun with the police)..

Good luck with your search :o=