One Nation Under....

Guest SI-Prozac

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know at least one person acknowledges my return...

Oh, and did I mention that my birthday is tomorrow, Dec 25th? Oh, looks like I did ;)

I would like to respond to a lot of this as well, XS, but I really dont have the time. I would especially like to respond to the fellow who mentioned that many ignore or run from 'religion' because they lack the fortitude to face the large, ultimate questions that face us in this life, and perhaps the next... Oh wait... thats all wrong...he mentioned something about insecure religious folk...I guess I'll get my thoughts and feelings right here in a bit after I meditate, pray, and read some more scripture so I can pull myself together to face the day and my pitiful existance... :lol:

Seems I've seen you post Carlin more than a few times ;) Your default 'go-to-guy', perhaps.

Hardly kindlin', and not even really 'food' for thought. Carlin is a comedian, and as such, I find him and his ideas comedic and nothing more. I enjoy comedians like Carlin, and humorists such as Clemens, even if they have disparaging comments about religion, because perhaps, I am secure enough in my beliefs and in myself to engage in some lighthearted laughter. But while many of these comedians and humorists are mostly laughs on the outside, their personal lives are often very sad, angry, or tumoltuous. If Carlin is such an enlightened man, I wonder, why has he devoted much of his life to making fun of something he believes not to exist...doesnt seem very wise to me, though it is pretty funny. I think it would be even more humorous to hear him make fun of athiests or agnostics, since he probably fits in there somewhere. Maybe he just needs to build himself up with his humor so he doent have to face the fact that he knows very little about life's ultimate issues...I have known plenty of 'funny guys' like that. I realize he pokes fun at many other things besides religion, it just seems interesting that people put so much effort into invalidating things that they already believe to be invalid. Then again, I remember he is an entertainer, and people pay him to entertain, not to think.

Personally, some of the most hilarious religous commentary has come from christian commedians making fun of peculiairities within the church, and while the language is often much cleaner than Mr. Carlin's, the subject matter and presentation lacks neither wit nor bite. And while these people provide some humorous thoughts, I still don't take them very seriously--its only entertainment.

Some interesting reading to get people thinking:

http://www.messiahtruth.com/wanted.html

Thanks for posting this...I have been wanting to jump into the modern Jewish perspective of christianity for a while, and this has spurred me on a bit. Though the opinions on this web page are not terribly new to me, some of the interpretation is a bit new, and obviously some of the commentary is slanted. Keep on searching and digging, and dont stop, even when you become content. As I am sure you know, the issues become much deeper than this web site. My only small bit of advice would be to stick to scholarly sources, instead of the internet. Happy reading ;)

I've looked at other web sites giving the Jewish point of view towards Jesus as the Messiah, and I've come to the personal conclusion that he is not the Messiah..

www.jewsforjudaism.org has some interesting articles as well..

@hephaestus - refreshing to see youth such as yourself speak with such wisdom and intelligence...

In an attempt to steer this topic back on course...

Regarding taking Under God out of the Pledge...as much as I hate to see it go...I know its necessary...in the last days people will reject God, His Son, and His Word...the Bible says they will be "willingly ignorant" and will attempt to exalt themselves higher than God...

So let them...

While were at it...lets get rid of it on the money...better yet...lets switch to a one world currency...now were talking...

Just remember...

atheists don't believe in God...God doesn't believe in atheists...

Just remember...

atheists don't believe in God...God doesn't believe in atheists...

Essentially - a good summing up.

The perspective of each side matters not to one another. The beliefs of one party should not affect the beliefs or non-beliefs of another.

And they all llived happily ever after.

Until pollution and global climate change wiped out mankind and everything came to an end.

Except the cockroaches - who went on to develop faster-than light space travel and populated the galaxy.

The End.

Next arguement! it's Christmas after all... :santa::rofl: