DYNACOMP

F'n New Guy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all this about SFAS, and Ragners. Will sniper school be included, what about other spec ops, like Psy Ops?

There will be sniper school, but not psyops. I don't think we could accurately reflect something like that in the game. Here's our current line up of schools and available units:

-Basic Training/Infantry School; 3 missions

-10th Mountain Division

-Ranger School; 4 missions

-75th Ranger Regiment

-Sniper School; 3 missions

-SFAS/Q-Course; 5 missions

-Special Forces

I haven't listed the number of missions in the campaigns, because I want that to be a secret, for now. As you can see, though, we have more training missions than most other mods have in their total campaign.

-----

I've just about finished reworking the Special Forces *.CHR's. I'll post some screenshots when I work out the kinks. At present, I've got four variants:

MOLLE II

RAV

SPEAR/BALCS

SPEAR/LBH

I'll post the screenshots when I can.

-----

Lots of enemy fighters...

Some of our missions have lots of fighters, some don't. The 1st infantry mission has something like 70 or 80 baddies, though you don't fight them all right at once. I doubt that we'll go much higher than that.

• 1 month later...

A small update for you all:

I finished school Thursday, so I'll have some more time now to work on the mod. That's the good news. The bad news is that one (or more) of my models is crashing GR due to bad texture coordinates and/or an invalid face. So I'm going to have to fix and re-export every single one of my *.CHR and *.QOB models, and see if I can find the offending file. There are about 50 files that I have to go through, so that's going to take quite some time. :(

Hey did you check your ike.txt? Glad to here you made it through school also :yes:

Yeah, and no errors. I did figure out (with some help) that bad faces and texture coords will crash both GR and the light editor.

@ DM: Thanks, brother. It feels good to finish something that most people don't even get the chance to start. But now that it's over, I miss those knuckleheads.

• 1 month later...

Not to like annoy the hell out of people but...

A) Is DYNACOMP really dead? I understand Para resigned but that doesn't speak for the rest of the team.

B) If DYNACOMP IS really dead (which i hope not), what happened to that release of the skins and weapons only? i'd rather get atleast a piece of the pie, if i cant have the whole thing!

Not to like annoy the hell out of people but...

A) Is DYNACOMP really dead? I understand Para resigned but that doesn't speak for the rest of the team.

B) If DYNACOMP IS really dead (which i hope not), what happened to that release of the skins and weapons only? i'd rather get atleast a piece of the pie, if i cant have the whole thing!

A) As time went on, I more or less became the team. Very few people were actually doing anything. Call it a leadership failure on my part, but I just couldn't keep people interested.

B) The problem with releasing the skins and weapons is that somewhere, somehow, I introduced geometry and/or texture errors into the mix, and the game crashed randomly. I've had offers to fix/re-export the files, and I agreed at first, but now I'm loathe to release my Max files to a 3rd party for various reasons. I've had thoughts of just distributing the latest WIP that I have, so that people can take a look at it, and at least enjoy what was accomplished. I don't feel like devoting the webspace/bandwidth for it though.

EDIT -

I have the full DYNACOMP WIP packed up in a RAR file on my HD. If someone can convince me that it's worth it to upload the WIP until Rocky (or anyone else) puts it on FilePlanet, I'll do so. Otherwise, it's gone.

Edited by Parabellum

I would love to test the WIP despite the crashes or whatever that is involved, but that is for you to decide. ;)

the models of the various weapons and skins were just AMAZING! :D if you're going to delete it, at least give it to somebody who wont delete it for "sentimental" and wishful thinking :(

I agree.

Some of the best work I have seen yet lies in that WIP.

As it appears this mod is no more, what exactly was it that you could manipulate in GR that was to make this mod such a big thing.

Would be a shame to lose that info too, as some of the new modders may be able to do something with it.

When various conditions that we specified were met, our missions are (were) scripted to make a notation to the ike.log file. DonMiguel's external utility would look for those notations, and make character/campaign adjustments accordingly. Using this system, it's possible to have multiple endings for missions, award medals, and, in our case, keep a running score and rank for the player. DonMiguel's external utility enabled us to create an RPG element; you play as one character, and you go from basic training, to as far as you want to go. DonMiguel's external engine was amazing; he was able to do everything I wanted to accomplish.