silenced weapons

silenced weapons do not show up on the threat indicator when fired and reduce or eliminate mussle flash, so the are more effective for stealth purposes. but always be warry of the command map and sensor use online. you may be able to sneak up on an enemy but there is a good chance he already knows you are coming and is getting ready :o= .

I know from scripting missions that enemy (AI) on the same team will be aware if another member of their team is killed, even if they are quite distance away, out of sight, and a silenced weapon is used. It appears the game engine "tells" them. So, for stealth missions I always put each sentry in his own seperate team.

Apart from that I'm not sure. I'm think most people will have seen enemy completely ignore gunfire when you would have expected them to hear it, so it leaves you wondering.

Yeah silenced weapons are great in multiplay, keep em guessing at your position for alot longer while you pick em off. However you do lose alot of knock down power depending on which gun you have picked. Also is it just me or in single player missions does using silenced weapons even matter? It seems to me that no matter what I am shooting as soon as I pull the trigger all the tangos in the general area seem to have a bead on my location.

"Also is it just me or in single player missions does using silenced weapons even matter? It seems to me that no matter what I am shooting as soon as I pull the trigger all the tangos in the general area seem to have a bead on my location. "

Imagine what would it bee if if they don`t you would take Ramirez or Grey and complete the 3 campaigns in 2 hours.

Plus you can judge where a shot is comming from by entry exit wounds and muzzel flash if present from this you get the Direction and if sound is present and the difference between the bullet hit and bang is 1 second then the shooter must be ~300m in that direction so you can do that in MP like the AI is coded to do in SP.

You see a couple of enemies standing with their faces away from you.

You shoot one down with your silenced weapon, the others didn't notice a thing. hehe. Amazing.

They didn't even notice their teammate falling down (?)

Also they won't fire back (CROE suppress), cause they have no idea of the direction the fire came.

I love silenced weapons :lol:

If you use them in MP, make sure no-one with a support gun is close to you ! Or he will blow your cover.

I had this happend lots of times: me totally stealth hiding behind a tree or something, some teammate with support-gun comes beside me and shoots like hell. After 5 seconds a enemy-sniper spotted us and killed first my teammate then me. If I had killed my teammate I would have been alive :D

Let me tell you a little story...I was playing first mission of Jack's Saving Pilot..

where you have to neutralize 3 machinegun nests, at first to continue. I send two men on post one, at the other side of river near bridge, two on river banks on post two and three. First I spoted man at post two, so I figured that he is fried coz I had silenced sniper rifle, but...And bridge goes to dust...

Then I tried with diferent sniper and assault rifles, all silenced and nothing...

I mean I killed him, but guard at post one allways hears my shooting. Ok, I am stuborn and I wanted that guard at post two go first, so I tried silenced hand guns, and most of them had low firepower so I could not kill him with single shot. then I found in SEALZ mod "Desert Storm" a hand gun for snipers with cal .40( I forgot name of gun) and it did the job.

So I guess, some weapons are more silent than others even if they all have silencers, but silencer reduce their fire power. You should choose your weapon on mission type, but in deathmatch they rocks, specialy if you can aim good, so you use less ammo per target...

I hope this helps...

Also is it just me or in single player missions does using silenced weapons even matter? It seems to me that no matter what I am shooting as soon as I pull the trigger all the tangos in the general area seem to have a bead on my location.

it matters HUGE. you take out a tango in a group of tangos silenced, the rest will look around (as noted). if you are in their line of site, they will shoot at you. however, if its a night mission, you'll find their site greatly hampered so particularly in night missions, you can take out tangos from afar (even with an mp5sd) and not expect return fire. they may however run for cover.

on night missions, i like using my "loud" guys to lure tangos through a particular path which is in the line of site of a silenced fireteam. once they cross, they all get greeted by quiet bullets and all look like deer in headlights. very nice.

Edited by the.ronin

Right now I'm playin ongly single-player campaings and YES, silenced weapons make a difference.

Particularly when I used the default lisenced handgun in the original GR missions.

As a general rule of thumb, it takes several shots (even when I hit the enemies in the head) that to kill it takes SEVERAL shots!

Granted, the use of silenced guns makes it more difficult for the enemy to spot you, but at the expense of reducing/minimizing the power of the guns which in turns affects the dynamics of the game.

Please not that this is WITHOUT using mods, just the default kits that came with the original game.

My 2 cents.

G-Man.

I had silenced sniper rifle,

Of course unless you are using subsonic ammo the 'silencer' isn't going to be very effective. However, I find if you shoot from far enough away the other Lookouts won't hear you - even with an unsuppressed sniper rifle.

IIRC I put a one second delay in the hearing response so that the guy being shot doesn't 'hear' the shot as he dies and trigger the bridge explosion.

I guess if you are far enough away the other enemy don't 'hear' the sonic crack - at least that is how it might be modelled.

Cheers, Jack.

Edited by Jack57

San Posted on Feb 5 2003, 04:56 AM

You see a couple of enemies standing with their faces away from you.

You shoot one down with your silenced weapon, the others didn't notice a thing. hehe. Amazing.

They didn't even notice their teammate falling down (?)

LOL...I guess I should have been a little more specific. I realize and expect that when I shoot at a guy that is standing around with a couple of his buddies that yeah they are going to notice he fell down with a hole in his temple, and they probably will have a good idea where the shot came from. What I was talking about and did not clarify enough in my previous post was that it seems that even if you dispense with a group of 2 or 3 baddies really quick without them even getting a shot off in response at least one or two groups of their buddies will come running from who knows where and even before you get a chance for the reticles to close on em they know exactly where you are and have either pinned you down with fire or killed you right off the bat. Now with that being said, what real advantage does using suppressed weapons give me in single play? If the enemy are going to locate me that fast after I squeeze the trigger I might as well be using my SA80, OICW or better yet my SAW and the hell with stealth. :o=:ph34r:

Dont want to sound like I'm complaining or anything, cause one way or the other I manage to usually get all the bad guys, just brought it up to see if anyone else had noticed the same thing about using SD weapons in single play.

Edit: I guess what I am asking is this... are the AI scripted to act in different ways when a suppressed weapon is fired in their area as opposed to a regular weapon?

Edited by XRW_Nemo

are the AI scripted to act in different ways

I don't think so... because if they do, they know what weapon you got before you even shot with it.

They react on the gunfire/muzzleflash.

But how do other teams know you're there ? Maybe some data left in memory that other teams use also. hehe I don't know.

Maybe they calculate your position from things like: looking at wounds, what angle the shot came from. Postition of the casualties etc.

But then they need to examine the casualties first. :D

and the hell with stealth

hehe :lol:

Edited by San