Just an Observation!

Dick Splash

This is just an observation folks, but sometimes I see posts in these forums that never get replies. For some reason, a perfectly sensible thread is read many times yet no body will post a reply. Sometimes too, there are cases where a thread will be bombarded with replies and these usually end up off topic and heated and ultimately locked [eg. 'Caught' in RWM]. Sometimes members here will get ridiculed or chastised. They'll make a statement that either ends up being laughed at [eg. Nightmare and his love of the game Worms 3D], or flamed at.

I see too, that a small number of American 'regulars' in here can't help but state in every....other.......thread..........that the US military and the US people are 'THE' best thing since sliced bread. These patriotic gamers bubble over with their pride and enthusiasm at every opportunity. Yet this biased rhetoric is read often without retort. Can you recall a Brit' ever saying that the Queen is fantastic or that our military are doing a great job in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghan or the outer reaches of the Commonwealth?!? We seem to accept this subliminal US patriotism that often drowns these forums, yet don't tolerate opinions from the other side of the fence, even if they are true. It's great that members are proud of their country and their military, but I find that sometimes it goes hand in hand with intolerance.

Whatever I read in here, I guarantee it'll make me laugh or it'll make me think. We all love our games, and that's what unites us. :santa:

DS

PS Oh!........and Worms 3D 'IS' a great game ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a premtive word can we have no flaming please or personal attacks. Dick Splash has jsut pointed out the diffrence between Brits and Americans were more reserved and less openly patriotic and the americans are its just a diffrent society. :thumbsup:

This is just an observation folks, but sometimes I see posts in these forums that never get replies. For some reason, a perfectly sensible thread is read many times yet no body will post a reply.

Welcome to the internet, where people can decide for themselves whether or not to post a comment. Did you reply to any of those threads you mention?

Sometimes too, there are cases where a thread will be bombarded with replies and these usually end up off topic and heated and ultimately locked [eg. 'Caught' in RWM].

Yep, you get the best of both worlds, enjoy.

Sometimes members here will get ridiculed or chastised.

It happens occasionally, and the offender is warned. We do not put up with such sillyness.

They'll make a statement that either ends up being laughed at [eg. Nightmare and his love of the game Worms 3D], or flamed at.

Old news, things got hot, it was handled, game over.

We seem to accept this subliminal US patriotism that often drowns these forums, yet don't tolerate opinions from the other side of the fence, even if they are true.

Wrong and wrong. There is no drowning and no lack of tolerance for differing opinions carefully stated.

I guess what I am saying is, I don't agree with some of your observations and don't understand the point you are trying to make in others.

I'm going to try and use Rocky's idea of not using any name just make a post.

Americans have always been upfront and forward about our country and our military. Americans for the most part are loud, smart mouthed, think they ARE the best thing since sliced bread.

As a U.S service memeber I think that I AM the best thing since sliced bread. We can go deploy anywhere in the world in 72 hours, set up operations, defend or attack, and be confident in doing so. I think it is just a matter of mentality carring over to the civilian world.

What makes me mad about some post are that people post somethings just to start stuff.

The last point I would like to make is I'm an American fighting soldier and I'm damn proud of it. I think that the way all soldiers no matter what the country are treated like crap till the enemy is at the gate. Then when a war kicks off civilians want to either think we are great or they hate us. Then as soon as the newness of the war rubs off it is back to who cares about the soldier! Some people in the US dont even know that we still have forces in Bosnia, Kosovo, Korea, Afganistan, Sinai. The reason I say stuff about soldiers is becuase people forget, and forgetting is the worse thing that can happen. If you forget you are doomed to let it happen again. So I will never let people forget about he soldier.

That is all I have at this point and time.

I 'll will be followed by:

Sorry what we are taught when given speachs. lol

I wonder where the problem is...the "American regulars" who praise their troops any chance they get or the "Brit" who say nothing about his. <_<

"Don’t tolerate opinions from the other side of the fence, even if they are true".... opinions are not true or false they are just opinions. :)

Sorry I missed the Worms one sounded like it was a good read.... :devil:

One thing that i don't like here, and is probably how people don't have an open mind towards games. If they don't like a certain game, they thinks its bad. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean its a bad game. People have prefrences, some don't like shooters, maybe they like RPG's. Just because they like RPG's and you don't doesn't make them bad games, maybe you just don't enjoy them as much as others.

All i ask is that people respect other games that people play. :thumbsup:

I see too, that a small number of American 'regulars' in here can't help but state in every....other.......thread..........that the US military and the US people are 'THE' best thing since sliced bread. These patriotic gamers bubble over with their pride and enthusiasm at every opportunity.

I am sorry if my pride and ethusiasm bubble over at every opportunity. I am also sorry if this offends anyone. However, this will not change. I am first and foremost an American by birth and by blood. I will stand for what I believe in, things like freedom and liberty, and I will also stand behind my brothers regardless of what free country the come from. For they alone know what it's like to stand watch late at night in some foreign country protecting my rights and freedoms and of those the world over.

Often in my long winded speeches on such issue's I speak of my fellow Americans but always in the forefront of my mind are, by way of example, the brave men and women of the British and Austrailian Army, whose government saw Saddam for what he was, who have stood and fought bravely by my fellow country men.

Can you recall a Brit' ever saying that the Queen is fantastic or that our military are doing a great job in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghan or the outer reaches of the Commonwealth?!?

I often wonder why those from Britian for example don't. But don't forget that many of us "loud mouth Americans" (as we are sometimes called outside of this forum) will be the first to let someone, who if they so choose to do so, know where to go if they decide to berate or belittle Britian, Her Queen or the brave men and women who defend them both. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your country and standing up to beat your chest about it too!

We seem to accept this subliminal US patriotism that often drowns these forums, yet don't tolerate opinions from the other side of the fence, even if they are true.

I don't know how anyone can, in their right mind, make a statement such as this. If intolerance of opinions was the norm around here this wouldn't be much of a site. Don't confuse say my disagreement sometimes with things that, sorry bud no offence meant here, Budgie might say as intolerance. He has every right to voice his opinions, within the guidelines of these forums, and I have every right to disagree with them. That doesn't make me intolerant. The fact that polictical discussions and debates are banned here is because a select few here did not have the maturity to handle themselves properly and flame wars resulted. I for one tolerate everyone's opinion. Does that mean I agree with those opinions absolutely not. Will I voice my opposition to those opinions? As long as I can do so under the guidelines of this forum you bet your :devil: .

Stout Hearts

=UE=Warhawk

Edited by warhawk

I see too, that a small number of American 'regulars' in here can't help but state in every....other.......thread..........that the US military and the US people are 'THE' best thing since sliced bread. These patriotic gamers bubble over with their pride and enthusiasm at every opportunity. Yet this biased rhetoric is read often without retort. Can you recall a Brit' ever saying that the Queen is fantastic or that our military are doing a great job in Northern Ireland, Iraq, Afghan or the outer reaches of the Commonwealth?!? We seem to accept this subliminal US patriotism that often drowns these forums

Ouch.

These are sentiments that I have once before on these forums come close to airing - or perhaps overstepped the mark in actually saying out loud - and it got me into several conversations with some of the 'American regulars' as you say, that ended up ultimately with a bitter week of mud throwing and a ban. A ban that I was digging for at the time, and justly deserved I might add.

Since then, I have touched upon the issue (slightly) with many of those that I had prviously brushed with and decided that all were thoroughly decent, pleasant and articulate individuals - a great strength and pillars of these forums. However I also quietly observed that indeed they are all very proud and boisterous to the point that to me - as a reserved (stereotype!) Brit - found to be slightly over zealous or full of perhaps too much praise for what is far from a perfect machine. (yes the US military strength is unarguable and quite awesome - but its application and intellectual extension and 'visual attitude' in terms of dealing with real life peoples of this world may leave a lot to question perhaps...? <_<

I digress - and don't really want to steer us away from the point - which is that of a Brit (that be you DS! :rocky: ) living in the states for quite some time now (would I be correct?) and who feels that there is perhaps a little too much US trumpet blowing going on, while the rest maintain some silent appreciation of ones own forces/country. I would say that I understand what you are saying. I would also however suggest that you might be over sensitive to it - since you are resident in the US, perhaps? Also - to be honest I adjusted my behaviour here on the forums by personally banning myself from the RWM forum (perhaps someone can correct me if I have posted in their since April 03? If so it was only once... :rolleyes: ) and I must admit I have not really felt exposed to ths kind of machismo that you describe since.

Therefore I think it is simple:

Avoid RWM if the bravado of our good American cousins chides you! It is fairly thick and fast in their I must agree - but you know what they say about heat and kitchens and whatnot...

Just to touch on a point by Mr.Bird (that be the War variety... :D;) )

I often wonder why those from Britian for example don't. But don't forget that many of us "loud mouth Americans" (as we are sometimes called outside of this forum) will be the first to let someone, who if they so choose to do so, know where to go if they decide to berate or belittle Britian, Her Queen or the brave men and women who defend them both.

I have to agree with him (surely no??) that there is a strong sense of American defence (or should that be defense..) of British action or strength, and it is well appreciated when it comes - which helps to underline the bond between the natios. However I think your question WB comes down to one of the distinct differences between the Brit psyche and the US psyche - like so many of our differences - it's just a matter of 'subtle' differences in our societies. i think the main difference here is that in the mind of a Brit - personal o national glorification is something that is antiquated and outdated. We as a people have been ulers of over 1/5 of the planet's land mass in the past 100 years. We have fought the Romans, the Napoleonic Empire, the Vikings and the Spanish Armada (in no significant chronological order!) and boasted the greatest Navy in the world, the most advanced economy, monarchy, legal system, trade and industry and all that you could think of.

But no longer on almost all of those accounts.

The point?

The Great in Great Britain is no longer spelled with a capital 'G' metaphorically. As a nation we have become very down to earth about our past glory and very reserved in our nature - since the Great War - the UK squaddie has been the pit of jokes about the gentleman in the trench - quaint and not at all boisterous. It is just British nature to be quietly reserved and perhaps over-mature in appreciating what it is to be Great - and to be the Best. Like a fine wine!

I hope that adds to the discussion - as to just why Brits perhaps don't self-enfatuate as much as our American brethren. Perhaps....

@Sync

At the risk of directing this off topic I would just like to respond to one thing that you said that sticks out the most to me.

personal o national glorification is something that is antiquated and outdated.

National glorification as you put it, is not antiquated or outdated. Pride is not something, when kept like anything else in some form of moderation, that should be held down. I guarantee you one thing, the British servicemen, they were the only ones I had contact with at the time, that I met were just as proud and in some cases loud as we were. That is not something to be ashamed of. I could also say the same for some of the British citizens I had the pleasure of meeting oh so many years ago. :thumbsup:

This "new world attitude" is really quite disappointing. But if I continue with that thought any farther I will take us down that forbidden path and you know me. I wouldn't want to do that. :whistle::devil:

Stout Hearts

=UE=Warhawk

Edited by warhawk

<Regarding DS's comments>...I feel I have to respond...but I'm kind of at a loss of words...(an interesting concept).

The first point...I've often been amazed at what some people make a hot topic...and something I think is good quickly falls to the second page only to be forgotten (except for that late night surfin). I don't think there is a clear answer why...other than we each have our own preference.

Hmm...I guess that leaves the second point...(I'm still trying to figure out how they go together, but I think I have it)

I don't want to sound too patriotic...but yet I don't want to ignore where my heart is...so I'll simply say...

Thank God for such a diverse website where peeps from a whole bunch of nations can come together, build friendships, discuss issues...and have a good time...

I think I'll leave it at that for now...

Now lets all hold hands...sit around the campfire and roast some marshmallows...

;)

just a small comment :

I don't post comments in treads that i don't think i have anything usefull to say in, exept for those in the gen. ot.

There are plenty of ways to be patriotic (sp?), and, there are also times when it could be good not to "show off" at.

That basicaly means that i'll respond to attacks on my contry, or unnesesery attacks on others, but i'll normaly wouldn't fill you all with stuff like our military are the best and sutch, enven though we got units that even the us are dreweling to get :devil:

It also seems like (not only here on the forums btw ) that the americans have a need to remind everyone that they are the best of the best of the best, constantly... not that they are, inn all aspects

Personaly, i don't need a reminder every hour about things, but there might be ppl that need that, and, being that all kinds of ppl "live" here, the constant reminders doesn't bother me, and, somtimes can even bring up some good laughs, when the clock is starting to get rather early in the mornings....

To get back to the topic again, and to sum it up ( atleast i'll try to make my thoughts clearer )

Everyone here are different, and the postings here shows that to a full effect, someone are here regulary, and posts were they have something to say, we've had ppl, that just posts to start an argument, and we have ppl who're mainly lurking.

so, to all of you, a merry christmas, and might the christmas peace come early, and leave late :santa:

Best wishes for the hollyday, from Norway

btw, did anything exept from my christmas greeting make any sence?

National glorification as you put it, is not antiquated or outdated.

OK WB - I always leave a few lines that perhaps come from the heart and are personal opinion (though most of my posts are anyway) and granted you take issue with that. I accept you feel that statement is invalid. I don't - but then you know we both have slightly different seating positions, though generally watching the same movie...

just a matter of stance...I wasn't suggesting national glorification through military might is antiquated from a US point of view, but it is from a UK stance. Just depends on context.

Like all differences of opinions I suppose!

The world is a rapidly shrinking and homogenising place...where national social boundaries are perhaps more under threat than ever...so these discussions are always interesting in the mix.

Peace Out. And all that jazz. :thumbsup:

Blimey Rocky, from what I've read since being a member here, even before the 'Black January' server virus yes you would have made a small fortune had you made a bet :D

Anyway folks, I'm sure you'll agree I wasn't trying to 'kick off' in here, but merely air a few observations. I don't know you lot as well as you know each other ;).

I posted because someone had had a question they wanted answered and had posted in GR.net to hopefully find their answer. Considering the subject I was surprised at the lack of response. He finally got his answer but it wasn't before he'd had a few teasing posts. I thought then of how threads go sometimes.

I don't have to point out to any of you that yes, there is a huge differenece between the two English speaking countries and of course that applies to our military. Both my mates and I used to think that we were the best in our Regiment and within those circles I tried to be the best shot, run faster and further and dig a shell scrape or a full NBC trench quicker than any of them. However, when on leave and with family and friends, I was glad to switch off and leave it all behind. I was proud and emotional [as I still am] every Rememberance Sunday, and I felt it was only me that was remembering the thousands and thousands of British men and women who died during our just and unjust wars and conflicts. Afterwards, when I was with 23, you strived to be the best at what you were doing in all things. That's all that was expected of you, dedication, effort and a 'just get the job done' attitude. That culture is more suited to the stereotypical British reserved approach to things.

In most cases it's frowned upon if you're seen to be openly patriotic in Britain. You rarely see the Union Jack anywhere and you could be misunderstood as being perhaps racist. It's the equivalent in way of displaying the Confederate Flag in the US. And whereas that presents images of bitterness and racism relating to a bloody civil war that took place 140 years ago, our 'national' flag is now frowned upon by, it's safe to say, the P.C. minority and not just our 'reserved' citizens. For the American readers in here, imagine if you will, for it to be none politically correct to display 'Old Glory'! National pride started to disappear after the Queens Jubilee in 77 and it's never been the same since.

It would be a great day indeed for us all in here to have a LAN party, be geeks, let our hair down, or in WK's case loosen up that mullet :P, and bore each other silly over games, the miltary and the importance of the internet in our lives.

DS :santa: