FPS - the higher the better, or?

GreyHaired

When I set "Vsynch Off" in the advanced settings of my Radeon 9500pro, fps jumps from an almost static of 85 to +200.

I installed the omega drivers that apparently set the "Vsynch off" by default. It's said that this can result in "tearing images". I did not notice any difference in game- or graphic performance.

Then I read an article about FPS. It gives a good picture of what it's all about and after that I reset the properties to "Vsynch on demand" and run with max. 85fps again.

Whether or not you're on the hunt for maxed out fps, this article may be of interest:

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/editorials/misc/fps/

Conclusion of that article: it's more important to solve the monitor's 60hz refreshrate problem, reducing risk for headaches.

The search for high FPS is an absolute waste of time. The human eye can't detect anything over around 35-40fps, so anything beyond that is a complete waste. You're better off turning that extra fps into more quality graphics via addition AA or image filtering.

So long as you don't get stuttering or image distortion, I say run it however you want.

to unlock it simply turn of vertical sync in d3d and open gl, i ran some tests to see what diference it made and i was surpised with my vid card i was getting between 85 and 500 fps in gr and the only tearing i ever noticed was after dying and hitting the ground, somtimes the ground would disapear on part of the screen but generaly i noticed no artifacts or tearing while in game.

with my refresh rate set @ 85 which for some reason i prefer and vsync enabled i get good average framerates with all detail maxed.

now with some monitors and the ATI cards ive also found turning off DCC in the display/monitor tab and or setting a manual refresh rate isntead of the default 60hz helps too

I ran a test last night on my framerates in N2k3. I ran a replay with FRAPS enabled both with and without AA enabled. Without AA enabled, I had around 100FPS, but once I enabled Quicunx AA they went down to about 26FPS. I couldn't tell any differnece in the quality of the graphics, but I could tell the difference in framerates. N2k3 takes use of all my machine as it is when I have all the graphics opitions practically maxed out. I have vsynch turned off so that didn't p[lay a part in it.

i never bothered with any settings other than performance before i got this ati card now i care about quality and not frame rates, runnign gr or bf42 for instance i can average 75fps with vsync enabled with  quality settings and its made a diference to my gaming, no more jaggies better IQ much more imersive

Just out of curiousity what vid card do you have? I have a 9600 pro on a P 2.4ghz, 1gb of crappy pc 133 sdram, and a soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard. My framerates are kind of sucky until i turn off the moving trees. Then i'm usually between 60-80fps and spike up to 200 plus at times. I play with all settings maxed, no shadows, 1024x768x32 display. Plus i'm using the ati cat. 3.7 drivers, tho thinking of installing the Omega 3.9's if it's worth it. Plus i'm at 2x AA and 2x AF. But like i say my fps aren't great(30-60) until i turn off the trees. Is this reasonable? EDIT : my refresh rate is set at 85hz, and im using Refresh Force. Nothing i can do about the Ram, my "Dell" comp won't accept any other kinds. :wall:

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

at the moment im running a tbred 2700+ on an MSI nforce 2 ultra with 768 ddr 333 in dual mode, a audigy OEM and a 9800 pro 128 using the omega's based on the cat 3.9's

have u tried disabling DC in display/monitor i found that worked better than refresh force.

id say your bottle neck is probaly the mobo, my experience with pre built brand pc's always seem to come down to the mobo no matter what u add the mobo is usualy a less than feature rich option.

i just recently changed the mobo in friends HP pre built pc ,he is running a p4 2.4 512 sd ram and a gf4 ti 4400 and an audigy2 zs and no matter what we tried his game performance wasnt as good as he wanted, plus he had an annoying irq conflict with his audigy card so after buying a cheap case and an asus deluxe mobo and ram he was finaly happy.

my wife runs a 2600+ on a gigabyte kt 400 mobo with a sb live 512 of ddr 333 ram and an old gf3 ti 200 128 ddr and she plays gr with everything except shadows at an average of 75 to 85 fps with vsync enabled, tho her pc takes a big hit with heavily modded maps then shes in the low 20's or 30's

the kids pc is an old celery 900 on an ECS sis mobo running 384 pc 133 and an sb pci card and an old reference 1 gf3 64 mb they have all settings

low to medium and average 30 to 50 fps

u can also try tweaking your virtual memory settings and pagefile and try to use more of your physical ram which will speed up pre cacheing and take the pressure of your hd's

your cpu is obviously up to the task and so is your ram tho its not ddr you should have ample performance with even 512 pc 133 and a 9600 pro now if it was a 9600 se id say you were in the ball park for performance, jsut out of interest try www.pcpitstop.com do a complete system scan and let me know your results and check if u have any yellow or red flags,

do u also have any sound issues or jerkiness in game or does GR run nice and smooth ?

Edited by snakebite1967

have u tried disabling DC in display/monitor i found that worked better than refresh force.

id say your bottle neck is probaly the mobo, my experience with pre built brand pc's always seem to come down to the mobo no matter what u add the mobo is usualy a less than feature rich option.

u can also try tweaking your virtual memory settings and pagefile and try to use more of your physical ram which will speed up pre cacheing and take the pressure of your hd's

your cpu is obviously up to the task and so is your ram tho its not ddr you should have ample performance with even 512 pc 133 and a 9600 pro now if it was a 9600 se id say you were in the ball park for performance, jsut out of interest try www.pcpitstop.com do a complete system scan and let me know your results and check if u have any yellow or red flags,

do u also have any sound issues or jerkiness in game or does GR run nice and smooth ?

Sorry but you lost me with the "DC" reference, what is that exactly?

And i would have to agree with you it is more than likely my mobo that's holding me back. For instance im set at 4x agp instead of 8x agp which my vid card is capable of.

My pagefile is set at 768 would you suggest i set it higher than that? Im not sure about the virtual memory settings.

I did the pc pitstop thing and got a good rating, a couple yellow flags and one red tho. They were mostly associated with my Internet settings though. (which i adjusted)

I don't have any sound issues now, tho i had to update my bios due to a conflict with my audigy 2 card and my Dell. Now the sound is not a problem anymore. The game generally seems to run smoothly.

Thanks for your help thus far. :thumbsup: