PLANETSIDE

Stalker_Zero

Its the first massive multiplayer online game that would support up to 1000 people on connected servers.

Its probably using grid-computing technology to achieve this. Grid-computing technology is the future of network games and will allow multiple server connections to achieve a large amount of players in a game world without the nightmare of lag you might suspect. I haven't had time to read the article fully but the developers must be using this technique in some form.

IMAGINE 1000 ghostrecon players battling out with each other.

Planetside is some sort of halo type of game with futuristic weapons and vehicles. For 1000 players the maps are going to be HUGE and vehicles in game are going to be a must. In fact, there should be ground and aircraft complimenting the foot soldiers making it a full war/havoc/mayhem game. Pray for the success of this game because it would pave the way for the games of the future!

I haven't read the entire interview of the development team by planetside-universe but you can check it out here.

Planetside-Universe article

And you can check out the games official website here..

Official Planetside Website

I will not pray for any pay to play game no matter what it is, even Star Wars.

But if it's a buy at the store for 50-60 bucks then connect and play, I got no problem with that, but these idiots in their infinite wisdom want to wrench more $$ out us, to that we must just say no!

I'm with NC on this. But besides that, there is no way you can play with 1000 people all at the same time and not get lag, at least with any decent game/netcode. Not from the server being overloaded (as you stated about using multiple servers) but how could they transfer all that info to your computer? I doubt even a 2mbit line would be near enough for reasonable pings.

Err... 1000 is much? Most MMORPGs have a lot more than that. (EverQuest currently has some 300 000-400 000 subscribers.) Did I miss something? :wacko:

PlanetSide looks interesting, though it's been ages since I really checked it out - they've probably come a far way since then. As far as MMOGs are concerned, however, I'm more eager to try out Star Wars Galaxies.

But if it's a buy at the store for 50-60 bucks then connect and play, I got no problem with that, but these idiots in their infinite wisdom want to wrench more $$ out us, to that we must just say no!
So, they should store the entire persistent game world on their servers for free? All the player information? Tech support and server maintenance, all for free? Those are the things that make them have to charge a monthly fee :)

I played Anarchy Online several hours a day for a few months, until I grew tired of it. (All games get boring when you play them a lot, unfortunately.) It cost around ten bucks a month, but for me, it was worth it. A huge virtual online world with thousands of other players - there's something special about MMOGs. Sure, 'normal' multiplayer is good for a quick firefight now and then, but only in MMOGs can you get a living online world where all major (and some minor) events have long-term effects on the game world. I checked out the Anarchy Online news a couple of days ago, just on a whim.. Read a news article about how the clans have re-gained control of Tir now. Guess I missed the big Omni-Tek invasion..

Point being, most online games have the same thing every time, and every time you join a server, it 'starts over'. You can't fight over a certain area and gain control of it indefinitely until the other side mounts a successful attack. It's the fact that the world is persistent that makes it so interesting. Blow up a certain building on the map and the next time you log in to play, that building will still be gone. (Unless someone fixes it.) It's like a deep single-player game, only it's online and the other characters are real people like you.

That also means that it practically never 'ends' like single-player games, nor do they get repetetive like usual multiplayer since the game world is constantly changing.

Man, I hope SWG comes out when planned. I need a good MMORPG.

So, they should store the entire persistent game world on their servers for free? All the player information? Tech support and server maintenance, all for free? Those are the things that make them have to charge a monthly fee

To that I strongly disagree, if these companies truly want my $$ they will do it for free period!

Otherwise they can have your $$.

Though I do find the thought of a living breathing online universe totally attracting, this pay by the hour or pay by the month thing goes against everything in me.

Edited by NightCrawler

The thing of it is these massive multiplayer universes have been existing as other types of games. Mostly strategy type of games have used massive numbers of players as of late and have been charging people per month. This new game will be the first First Person Shooter game to utilize massive massive amount of players and I guess they are going to try to charge people per month.

Unfortunately, it will also be the first FPS to charge people per month to play.

That will be a bad precedent to make.

I would not want to pay per month just to play a game. However, there will always be people out there willing to fight for the little guy. It is possible some team of developers will figure out a way to network massive amounts of people using other servers and/or other people computers. Something similar to peer to peer computing perhaps could be developed. You never know what hackers and code manipulaters could come up with. Perhaps some sort of cooperation could be made with people with different servers. Or perhaps software could be made for a game that would turn your pc into one piece of a giant server grid when your running the game.

We shall see what the future holds!

Ya but there must always be hope for the future otherwise what is the point of going on? I believe there will be groups of enthusiasts willing to get grid-computing out to the masses of gamers thereby substantially reducing the costs of massive multiplayer games.

but in the meantime however I have been having fun telling off the fans of planetside at one of the fan sites.

www.planetside-universe.com

Those guys have already been brainwashed and are actually fighting for their right to fork over their monthly cash. They are calling anybody not willing to spend per month to play uncaring, unsophisticated counterstrike players. I've been calling them idiots and brainwashed slaves.

If you want to take a look at what I've been saying at their forums then take a gander at the link below....my posts start somewhere in the middle of the page......

stalker_zero's little war at PS-U forum

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Ahhh, thats I love the PS2. $40 buys you free internet gaming with SOCOM Navy SEALs. In my mind, the best game ever. :ph34r:

Edit: LMAO!! I was reading part of that forum, where people said "Im going to get off my 'butt' and work to play this game."

Lets look at that. People are going to run out and get a job/another job to play a FPS? Im I one of the few that see something wrong with this?

Edited by Crimson

ROFL. These guys don't realize what they are saying. They were even trying to convince some of the kids to go start mowing peoples lawns and crapola like that for money to pay per month.

That is insanity!

Oh and by the way Crimson.............

I noticed you didn't finish your sentance in your post. You meant to say that SOCOM was your favorite game of all time NEXT TO GHOSTRECON......RIGHT?? :o=:o=

I tried my best. :devil:

At least I left my impression on them. They can't live in their fantasy world without contemplating my thoughts.

Next I'm going to email butterfly.net and ask them to consider red storm and planetside in their future negotiations.

Butterfly.net is a grid-computing provider for the game industry. Their technology hopefully will lower the costs substantially of game publishers wanting to publish massive multiplayers game to the game world.