"The Farm"

Biro

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Nice map biro, well done.This is gonna be one tough mission, real hard to spot tangos on firefight.

Only one thing i found was that when you lay prone next to some of the buildings you couldn't stand up again unless you shuffled away from the building, gonna bear that in mind in the mission.

Great work look forward to the final mission :thumbsup:

There's not any mission in this mod, only standard gametypes and a empty sandtable. Check the briefing link on the previous page for the first mission on it that we in Alpha make.

Few other things i've noticed :-

Frame rates bombed when i was next to the farmhouse when it had a few tangos in it, the shadows are also projected outside. I had 5 tangos in the house and my fps dropped from 250 to 12 (Hercules 9700 pro card).

The house is 2 rooms (8 and 9) but could easily be split into 10 rooms this would massively improve the fps as its rendering the whole house most of the time, and this is not necessary.

At one point when i was in a room upstairs i fell thru the floor, but could never get it to happen again.

A frag that i thru inside the house killed me outside, may have summit to do with all those portals.

On domination only the 2 zones in the farm area were capturable.

We played this map for nearly 4 hours with various gametypes and a mission and these are about the only things that came up.

Hope it helps.

the shadows are also projected outside

This is a common glitch within the game itself and cannot be prevented. It is present in many maps including stock maps.

FYI, Im running a p3,855mhz with a geforce2 and framerates have not been an issue in SP games.

The house is 2 rooms (8 and 9) but could easily be split into 10 rooms this would massively improve the fps as its rendering the whole house most of the time, and this is not necessary.

I dont think splitting these rooms, 8 and 9, would have had much effect at all. Looking through any new portals created will have the rest of the new portals in view, so it defeats the purpose. This would be an example, as in the level buliding pdf, of non-efficient portalization, you may wish to review that section of the portal creation documentation.

Edited by sleeper

Copy that BornToKill and Sleeper!

None of us betatesters in alpha had any problems with frames either with tangos inside the house, so I find that a bit weird. Did you try to turn off your shadows and see if it got any better?

Only problems with frames we found was that if you fired a rocket into the house or the barn the frames would go very low right when you shot the rocket.

We, or I didn't set it up properly for all gamemodes. We found out that after I had uploaded the files to the server so we decided to leave it like that. If somebody wanna play SAR or HH, they can easily fix the zones and host with that updated version.

(I know this was a bit lazy of me... :shifty: )

I haven't had any problems falling trough from the floor there, but I guess it can always happen to be a little glitch left. :(

But about 4 hours without bigger problems...I don't think that's to bad! :thumbsup:

Hi Again,

Ye turned human shadows to "All low LOD" and no significant drop in fps, so was prob something to do with the GR bug trying to calculate shadows and projecting them outside. I kinda put this down to the fact i fell thru the floor at one stage, again due to the increased pressure doing the graphics rendering with shadows on.

Shadows on certainly help on foggy maps, but i'm just gonna have to turn em off when i get near the farm.

I'm certainly not knocking ya Biro as i love this map and the attention to detail you put into it.Just reporting probs we find so that you get the feedback required.

Thx again :thumbsup:

We had an interesting issue last night. While we were playing, I launched a 203 grenade, and the game immediately crashed for the whole team. My ike.log said something about missing lightprojectile.pob. Other than that issue, I enjoyed the map immensely. I love the atmophere. :)

Edited by Parabellum

No problem there BornToKill, I appreciate all the feedback, both positive and negative. This is the only way I can see the mistakes I did and learn of that and get rid of them in my next map. I also thought the problem was due to the shadows, as that's some cpu demandig stuff when you get this shadow bug you described there.

:thumbsup:

I think you've got a winner here! I was impressed by the attention to real-life details, like the radar needing a.c. generators ( connected by counduits, no less).

I have to bring up the topic of the Command map, however.... just a suggestion, but you might wanna sharpen up the details a bit, and demarcate the no-go areas like the lake and the big-*** rocks. I'm running headlong into rocks and fences :lol:

Allthough I see the point with the command map; in Alpha Squad we seldom use the command map for movement. We did for a long time but decided to reduce the big red tango diamonds on the commandmap to tiny small, small dots, to reduce and complicate the possibility to use the command map as an easy-to-detect enemy device.

If using the command map as a constant movement/spotting device, the command map should have pointed out whats crossable etc..

But by moving into a new territory, you would never know if you could wade a lake or climb a cliff, unless you were given specific intel about it.

When the Alpha MOD comes out, you will see how we have reduced the commandmap playability by removing both the threatindicator completely and also the big red commandmap tango diamonds.

The MOD will be out late july/early august 2004.

Enjoy

I think the issue with the command map is more of knowing where you are and giving orders to teammates. Although the grid helps tremendously, I always prefer the easier method of "the big rock east of the lake" or whatever. When I pull up the command map to check my position and where Im supposed to go, its hard to see the detail. Once you are more familiar with the map, it's not an issue. Its an easy fix for the command map imho, but it's not something to really worry about at all, just a matter of personal preference I guess. We've taken out the all the red diamonds as well as everything else on the command map in a few mods that I have worked on, I prefer that method myself but its still nice when it comes to the actual map, to be able to see it for reference.

SR2002 missions is hard to find. But the SR2004 mission pack should be ready for download as soon as the Alpha MOD comes out late July/early august.

SR2004/4 Final Encounter will be played with the traditional red diamonds and the fire direction indicator.

The Alpha MOD (not to be mistaken for the SR2004 Farm MOD) will lack those big red diamonds and the fire indicator will be totally gone. So will the compass.

As for gridmaps; oh yeah we use the grids for manouvering/tallying tangos. I was more thinking of the tecnique to actually move while holding the map open. In some environements thats a popular way to spot tangoes easier than by eyeball.

Going a bit of thread here. I'm totally in favour of getting rid of the 'magic' markers on maps and the HUD but the 'fire direction' part really needs to be retained. Its the only way you have of knowing the direction that fire is coming from.

I'm not a modder but i do enjoy learning a bit. The fire indicator is good for those who have sound cards that aren't 5.1 or headsets that aren't full stereo (one of my team uses a laptop and frostbite throws him for a loop as the fire indicator is gone.) Those like me that have stereo headsets and 5.1 have no issue either way. Is it possible in your mod to make it either or maybe? That would cover those like me that don't use it much or like the realism but also cover those that don't have the capability.

Edited by ROCOAFZ