Ghost Recon.net Forums

A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS,

First of all that they will be running on the unreal engine tells me it will be one smooth motha.

Secondly I personally beleive that it will take place in the u.s.a. in a city type setting.

The jungle themes are worn out and the real world problems that are facing us are taking place in mettroplitan areas.

Besides the fact that they always push realism ti\o the next level leads me to beleive it will be thus.

foxship

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS,

First of all that they will be running on the unreal engine tells me it will be one smooth motha.

Secondly I personally beleive that it will take place in the u.s.a. in a city type setting.

The jungle themes are worn out and the real world problems that are facing us are taking place in mettroplitan areas.

Besides the fact that they always push realism ti\o the next level leads me to beleive it will be thus.

foxship

Well, I hear a little bit about ghost recon 2, but I read ""Ubi Soft is already well-positioned for the 2003/2004 financial year" and if it is true, is a good notice.... becuase I played raven shield also and is a good game, a good machine, but it has some bugs,, ofcourse, in that date,, the problems that they have with raven shield will be solved... I hope so :wacko: ehheheheh....

For example I can tell that Raven shield is a good machine.... and I suppose they will put the unreal machine on the ghost recon 2... :o= other good machine, is "Americas Army" a very good game and good graphics also... heheheheh :lol:

So I am curious to see an screenshot from ghost recon 2............ and his unreal machine!!! is awesome............................. I said this becuase the effects they put when someone change the weapon.. the sound.. the granade explosion effects.. :ph34r: .....

So I thinks the unreal machine is much better for ghost recon 2..... (nowdays)..

No its not man!!! Maybe for a cqb game. but not for ghostrecon. its two different types of games needing two different types of engines. I will bet money they will make a new engine for ghostrecon 2. If not then well....its RSE hunting season time!!!!! :o=:o=

Whatever engine they choose to go with, I'm sure it'll look and play just fine :) Licensing engines certainly doesn't seem to fit their modus operandi, however, so I'd bet on another proprietary one. That is, unless Ubi Soft says otherwise - they own RSE now, after all.

That said, I hope they come up with a brand new engine this time. Ghost Recon has 40% Rogue Spear tech in it, which in turn is based on Rainbow Six tech. Time to work that coding magic and come up with something new, Greg! ;)

I don't see the Unreal engine as necessarily a bad thing. Heck, they could use Lithtech Jupiter, Doom III, Quake 3 or the Commanche 4 engine (like Delta Force: Black Hawk Down) for all I care. (Throw in GHOUL2 and you've got an interesting gameplay addition right there :P) However, considering that RSE games have (almost?) always used in-house engines, I'm not sure I'd want them trying to code something else.. :ph34r:

What I do hope they do (as mentioned in another thread on this subject) is loosen it up a little. Ghost Recon is way too limited and restricted, both in movement features, maps, graphics, physics, everything. They need to make it more.. organic. Smooth. Less "stiff". Ditch immersion-killers like invisible borders. Spend some more time on motion-capture. (Look at someone running and strafing at the same time - the animation as the same as running straight ahead, even if they're moving diagonally. Even RS had seperate animations for that.)

In ravenshield, you can set it so you can see your gun or not but that option is only available as a server setting. And it would have to be set before gameplay. I think it should be something a client can choose during gameplay if he wants to see his gun or not.
It's in the options menu, turn it off there. No need to use the server setting. (That's only for either forcing it on for everybody, or letting everyone have it on/off as they please.)

And, as I also mentioned in the other thread, customizable weapons. Let's make like the D-Boys and trick out our babies something wicked! :blink:

Exactly Killa!

And Daywanderer......I don't want that visible gun thing to be a server option at all. Why should the host decide that? And I don't want to have to go into options and set that either. I want a keyboard hot key that I can use right in the game. :o=

waaaaaSaaaaaaaa! :ph34r:

And Daywanderer......I don't want that visible gun thing to be a server option at all. Why should the host decide that?
Isn't it obvious? People not using the first-person weapon view have a larger field of vision than those who are using it. By forcing it on, the host can ensure that everyone gets the same "disadvantage". It's just an option, dude, just like reticle knock or third-person view in Urban Operations. I think it's a good thing that the host can decide these things. Why? Because it's his/her server in the first place, so the host should be able to set the rules and tailor the server in whichever way he sees fit.

The UT 2K3 engine is an awesome engine. Remember, the first game to use an engine for the first time never shows what it is fully capable of. A.K.A. Quake 3 and Medal of Honor. Also keep in mind that Americas Army uses the UT 2K3 engine!!! :hehe: If any of you has played Americas Army, you know what the engine is capable of. I highly recommend it to anyone that plays GR. GR is great, and I play it very often, but Americas Army has more realism and better looking. A little smoother in my opinion. Also remember that since the original Unreal, it has always been freindly to those of us that are not special enough to own a P4. And if GR2 is going to use the Unreal engine, it will be an upgraded version than what you see in Americas Army. Plenty of urban combat as well as wide open spaces. This is why I think this engine is perfect for GR2. I've stated my opinion. No offense intended. :rolleyes:

LOL sure. I will have the pilot fly over RSE headquarters and we will strap an exploding surprise to our torsos. So as we both jump out together at 10,000 feet we will sing one of those marine songs.

Which one? From the shores of tripoli or something? Maybe whoever survives at the office will think......"hmmmm maybe we should have used a custom engine."

:wacko:

Hey killa you can fly the plane. Use a B-1 bomber. If we like miss the building and land smack in the front lawn ....you could take the ship into a nose dive and let go one of those new j-dam laser guided munitions man. LOL :o=

I will write with a marker on the side of the munition...........

"SHOULD HAVE USED A CUSTOM ENGINE"

Are you guys sure about the custom engine thing? Combine Unreal IIs beautiful graphics, seamless switching between exterior and interior and user friendly editing features (promised) not to mention unparalleled physics, it would seem the obvious choice.

it feels wrong man when I play ravenshield. Don't get me wrong....I like it and all and its nice for indoor. But its not for outdoor which is what ghostrecon is mostly. Ghostrecon does both indoor and outdoor well. and the details on character movement and how they look are better. Its just dated thats all.

If they were to follow a similar style with a new custom engine for ghostrecon 2 then I am sure they will have a winner.

Edited by Stalker_Zero
it feels wrong man when I play ravenshield. Don't get me wrong....I like it and all and its nice for indoor. But its not for outdoor which is what ghostrecon is mostly.
What people fail to realize is just how customizable engines like Unreal are. With a little effort, RSE could probably use the Unreal engine and make GR2 just about identical to GR. *shrugs*

The reason Raven Shield feels "wrong" to some is probably because it's not similar to Ghost Recon (the Rainbow games never were) and also a bit different from the previous Rainbow games (thanks to the new developer).

• 2 weeks later...

What about Igor ? will there be an Igor2 in GR2 ?

if Igor is gone I'm gone :angry:

but I think not, they need us modders to keep the game alive (only hope left :) )

• 4 months later...

The thing I will have a problem with , is them doing it like they did RavenShield. Multiplayer will lag so bad that it is unplayable, they will ruin the net code, and blow direct IP away.

They do that, and Im not getting it, and neither will alot of people I know. We just spent 50 bucks on Ravenshield for a game we cant do MP faster than 8 or 10 frames a second, on a variety of video cards, with all the tweaks they suggest applied.

And ubi, those RAT ######, have not even bothered to reply to multiple emails for support, ovewr the past 8 weeks. Alot of us are pretty fed up, and dont see them getting any better.

I wish it wasnt so, but I see them screwing it up just like R63. Ubi has really gone down hill.

And I have all the GR, R6, and RS games. ANd for the first time with RvS, I was sorry I spent the money. It was a waste, because we havent been able to play the game. A 50 dollar coaster.

Hmmm...where to start with a GR2 wish list?

After playing a whole whack of GR, then starting to play some other games and then going back to GR I find that the one most important thing, in this gamers opinion at least, is to make GR2 not as uni-dimensional in game play.

What da hell do I mean? Well, in GR you run around, sneak around, lay around and shoot at the tangos...and that's about it. There's no interaction with the environment what so ever. Standing, crouching and lying down should affect your aim...similiar to America's Army gameplay. Ammo resupply area/s. The addition of a medic type to heal wounded team mates with some sort of point of no return for being healed...you are so badly wounded that you can't be healed...would add a balance to this. Cammoflaged uniforms that actually make you difficult to pick out from a grassy/forest/jungle/artic/martian...whatever background...and I don't mean adding a boat load of fog to map either ;)

Being able to pick up a weapon! What RSE/UBI's resistance to this idea is I will never know.

Adding vehicle use would be a plus but not totally necessary. Though in this gamer's opinion it would add a pretty wild element to the gameplay...some maps with tank support...helo support...landing craft.

Tanks that take more than a single round to take down...as this game is supposedly in the future I think that armour technology might evolve just a little and that one or two anti-tank rounds to disable and another one or two to take out.

Being able to jump...yes I know this may irk some people and even others will have visions of bunny hopping players out there but being able to jump over small obstacles would be awful nice.

A non-angular map environment...to put an end once and for all the ditch, cliff, hill glitch argument.

Being able to leap off a cliff if the mood so strikes you...the invisible wall that stops you from plummeting to your death is what I am talking about. Would add another element to the game...better watch where you are running!

As Neo says in the first Matrix "...We need guns...a lot of guns..."

I too agree with the stock weapon balance issue that there are few really good stock guns and a whole lot of so-so stock guns and what ends up happening is that a few guns get used by a majority of people playing. Yes Mods do help out but the stock game should have just a few more choices.

The support weapons...well...this might offend some but from my experiences playing with them they stink. Yes you don't want tight rets for a support weapon but on the other hand any slight movement opens your ret totally wide? Some kind of balance has to be found in there somewhere (see interactive environment above) as support weapons fire is part of the mix and people really do get mowed down with SAW's and the like.

More than 9 peeps in co-op mode.

Smarter AI...easy to say, hard to program I know but would be really nice.

A larger map environment...it takes you a more time to 'heel-toe express' it from one side of a map to another...again, adds another element to gameplay and also makes snipers more lethal and teamwork more essential.

A STAND ALONE DEDICATED SERVER PROGRAM. What we have in GR is very nice but far from adequate for running a dedicated server...just a small program is what is needed...with this new and improved dedi server better kick-ban-server editing features.

Free beer with game purchase would be really nice too but don't think that'll happen :P

I look forward to more posts from all and a great idea to the folks here at GR.net!