MySQL Installation

firefly2442

Download Mysql and extract to C:\mysql\ or wherever you wanna install it. Go into the "bin" folder and run winmysqladmin.exe Create the .ini file that's needed. You will need to create a username and password for the admin account. I think that was it for mysql.

For php download the latest from php.net Extract the zip to C:\php\ or wherever and copy the php-ini-dist to C:\Windows and rename to php3.ini Now copy the php4ts.dll file to C:\Windows\System32 If you read the install.txt it shows you what to edit in the php3.ini file. Basically just paths to different directories. Then edit the httpd.conf file for apache and add this:

#PHP MODULE#######################################

LoadModule php4_module c:/php/sapi/php4apache2.dll

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

#################################################

to the end of the modules. Make sure apache is NOT running. I would NOT install php as an executable. It says in the installer that it's a big security risk. Make sure the path above is correct to the .dll I think that's it. I might have missed something but that should get you started. :)

installing php locally is one of the bigger pains in life. i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend (for lazy people like me who just like pushing one button) the packaged suite called "php triad" -- it may be under a different name now (php geek?) so just google it. its a windows app that includes apache, mysql and php and installs all of it for you. it may sometimes have a deprecated version of one of the components which you'll need to upgrade, but otherwise, if its only a security upgrade, you wont need it since your only using it to test server-side locally and not as an actual server.

-------------------------------

to test, just have a real simple php document with some simple echo command <? echo "hey this works" ?> and save it as doc.php in your directory, open your browser (must be opened from your browser -- all php must be opened from browser) and point to it and see if the screen says "hey this works" or some message about a parsing error.

Edited by the.ronin