!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!&

[TCS]BlackMamba

i have a very rubbish computer with a bad graphics card (Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT Kyro) i am looking to upgrade this but i only have PCI capability. I would like a Radeon 9600 / 9600 PRO or a Geforce FX5600 / Ultra. I cannot find PCI versions of these on any websites other than the manufacturers and these are not websites that sell them.

Please could some one tell me the URL of a website where i could one of these that is reputable

Im pretty sure the ATi 9600 andFX 5600 are not made in PCI versions... you'd ahve to settle for a lower spec card.... I think.... not 100% sure that the FX5200 comes in a PCI version.... I'm not sure about which ATi cards come in PCI

I've seen the GeForce-FX 5200 (128MB) sold in PCI version, as well as:

- PowerColor ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB

- SapphireTech ATI Radeon 9000 128MB (OEM)

or if you want a lower-end card:

- PNY Verto GeForce4 MX440SE 64MB

As far as websites, I'm not sure your location of residence. However, if you live in the United States, here are some reputable websites:

NewEgg.com

ZipZoomFly.com

I have personally used these two sites for online retailing. There are many other great sites on the 'Net as well.

I've seen the GF4 Ti4600s in a PCI version. The Radeon 9500/9600 and 5600/Ultra are only in AGP, that I know of. They are a much faster graphics card, requiring a faster bus (AGP).

Wow.

I'd check into Dark Rangers Recommendations, as I havent seen anything in PCI video since the GeForce 2's.

In PCI, the GF4's and the FX series would be way to slow. Would be bottle necked big time.

Id consider finding a deal on an Athlon Proc/mobo combo and some RAM, to upgrade your machine.

Just checked New Egg, and you can get a 5200FX for 103 dollars in a PCI config.

Reading thru and then getting to SOTOPhantoms post I'd go with that to the word lol :)!!!

Look at getting a new MoBo as you are throwing money at only part of the problem to just upgrade your GFX Card and you'd probably still be very frustarted by the quality etc if you just did replace that alone.

You can pick up high quality MoBo's for very good prices these days and if you take the example of an Athlon too, the XP series for example have rocketed down on price since the advent of the AMD 64 bit processors too.

Ya best bet would be to go for all 3 in all honesty. Obviously finances are often an issue and not all can afford to just replace several items at will, but it would actually save you in the long run anyway as it probably won't be long before you do need to upgrade again if you did just upgrade the GFX card now either!!!

id agree with Phantom here also the msot readily available pci cards are the gf4 mx and the ATI 7000 anything more powerfull youd have to hunt down ands pay well for it, but buying a new mobo and chip is a great way to go.

Just remember if your running pc100 or pc133 ram in your present config then bear in mind that when you get a newer AMD mobo they generaly run ddr ram tho an older ECS or biostar for example will run your present type of ram, just a cost consideration

I'm a bit late with this post, as I just got off work. However, my personal recommendation echos Phantm's, Urban Tiger's, Crimson's, and Snakebite's. Budget is obviously an issue though. If you can, save up for a decent motherboard/proc combo, and get some DDR Ram. It'll be better for you in the long run, albeit more expensive than a single graphics card.

Your choice.

I'm a bit late with this post, as I just got off work. However, my personal recommendation echos Phantm's, Urban Tiger's, Crimson's, and Snakebite's. Budget is obviously an issue though. If you can, save up for a decent motherboard/proc combo, and get some DDR Ram. It'll be better for you in the long run, albeit more expensive than a single graphics card.

Your choice.

It will also benefit you more than a PCI graphics card would. You will get alot more bang, and alot more use out of the combo upgrade. And it will last you alot longer.

You can proly find a good combo deal out there for around 200 US dollars total.

I have seen the Athlon XP / MOBO combos for 120, and you can get 512 PC2700 DDR for around 70 bucks.

Then you will be able to get a good AGP card. The PCI card is really going to choke on performance in comparison. The only real benfit will be the amount of Video RAM, as the GPU's will have to operate at PCI speeds, so they will actually have to slow down.

Just something to think about.