Ghost Recon on the nGage

MoOk

Hello all,

As some of you may (or likely, may not) know, Gameloft (www.gameloft.com), a mobile games developer with access to Ubisoft brands, is currently developing a version of Ghost Recon that will play on the Nokia nGage (www.n-gage.com).

I am the producer on this title. We are currrently in the stage where suggestions and ideas coming from the community still have a chance of making it into the game. In a month or two, we will likely be too far into development to include any radical ideas or change requests.

So, if the idea of playing Ghost Recon multiplayer on a mobile device with 3-7 of your best friends (via bluetooth) interests or excites you, I'd like to here from you.

Right now, what I'm mostly looking for are the best multiplayer 'game modes'. Is there a particular mod or gameplay mode (perhaps that came in one of the expansions) that you all love more then any other? Perhaps some feature you always wished would be included in a Ghost Recon that just never made it? Well -- I (obviously) can't promise anything, but here is your chance to make yourself heard.

I'd love to hear from any of you with your thoughts and suggestions! Either respond in this forum or send me an email at bmattes (at) gameloft.com.

Hoping to hear from you!

Yours,

Ben Mattes

On behalf of GR.net were flattered youve come to ask us.

I think that id like to see a capture the flag game type on there. Not the cat and mouse stuff behmouth thats not very good. Think id like to see more vs game types as well. Sharp shooter maybe with some twists. Thats about all I can think of.

Right now, what I'm mostly looking for are the best multiplayer 'game modes'.

Hello, welcome to GR.net :yes:

Although I have been following ngage a little, a Ghost Recon version is news to me, cool stuff. :thumbsup:

Siege games were always popular, some game servers ran nothing else 24x7 for a long time. I can imagine that would be pretty neat on ngage, although a simple defend might work better. That would be quite cool, a few mates sitting around trying to defend a zone together :thumbsup:

Good luck with the game, I'll put this on the news page and hopefully you'll get some good suggestions.

:blink: whoa... GR on a mobile :blink:

been a fan of gameloft since R6 for the mobile, but izzit gonna be first-person or a top-down shooter like R6:RvS for the mobile? And FPS on a mobile wif a joypad? :( i need a mouse...

how bout co-op? i don't noe y, but i have a thing for co-op games... :D

Hello all,

Thanks for your feedback so far! It looks like Capture The Flag is a popular gameplay style. We'll definatly keep that in mind for our multiplayer maps.

I should probably clarify a couple of things.

First, the nGage isn't your typical mobile phone, and Ghost Recon won't be your typical mobile phone game. Ghost is fully 3D rendred, with much of the effects you'd expect from a current FPS. Obviously the device has lower procesing power then your XBOX or PC, so some concessions are being made to keep the framerate up and the action fast, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when the screenshots are released. For now, though, imagine we took Ghost Recon, ported it for the original playstation, and then squished that down to fit on a smaller screen.

In terms of pricing, I don't know. Nokia sets the price, not us. I imagine, though, that it will be priced similar to other nGage titles (in the $30 US range). Again I should stress, this isn't a standard mobile title. What you are getting is, in my opinion, totally worth the higher price point....of course you also need an nGage to play the game. Hopefully Ghost Recon will be the game to convince all of you to pick one up in the new year. :)

Currently, we were planning on implementing a 'Defend' style game mode, a Free for all (every man for himself), a team ffa (one team of players vs another), as well as the ability to play missions in co-op mode (instead of letting the Ai control your squad mates, a friend is controlling them). None of these are set in stone yet, so all could possibly come and/or go over the next couple of months, but these are our initial set.

Keep the suggestions comin!

-MoOk (Ben Mattes)

Ya gotta have siege in the game for multiplayer purposes, where a team tries to take another team's base by laying in the smoke or whatever for 5 seconds. Another game type I found to be pretty cool was one called 4 by 4 which came out with 3 other coop game types. It's where there is a group of 4 enemies located somewhere on the map, as well as a bunch of other tangos scattered throughout the map, and you have to take out the 4 in a group. After you kill them however, 4 more spawn across the map and you must kill them. After that, another group of 4 spawns, and yet another after that. 4 groups of 4 tangos. 4 by 4.

I can imagine the joy of mobile gaming (The BeatBox nights on ngage..). :lol:

I should really spend the research in the gameplay, movement of the character on those tiny little buttons. IMO it is too lame playing a shooter without a mouse.

But, keep on the good work in expanding the GR community :thumbsup: .

All,

I'll address some points brought up in recent posts.

First -- mods. Obviously this is something we'd love to support. I don't think the mobile gaming world is that far off from this being a reality either -- but right now, its not yet really feasible. The nGage games are purchased in the store and come on an MMC card (multi-media card) in 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256 and 512 MB varieties (no word yet on how large Ghost Recon will be, ask me again in a couple months). Due to the way the nGage copy protection system works, we can't change the size of the game dynamically (ie: we can't allow the player to write their own game contect to the MMC card). On the device itself, there isn't nearly enough memory to copy over the entire game, so you can't 'install' it to your phone's 'hard drive' like you do on the PC. Basically, we are dealing with a system similar to the PS2 -- without the add-on HD. We would love to give the players the ability to mod the game, but it doesn't look like it can happen under the current technology.

In terms of controls, again we think you'll be pretty happy. First, they will be customizable, so if the default scheme we provide doesn't suit your needs, you can tweak them as you see fit. Also, if you take a look at the nGage you'll notice that there are two 'control areas' -- the keypad on the left, and the number keys on the right. As much as possible, we are using a system that will be familiar to PC players. The left keypad will default to your 'mouse look' while the right controls will be used for running, straffing, firing, etc. Obviously a mouse would be better, but the game is VERY playable in its current state with these controls. I'm not sure I would be as comfortable as I am with the controls on a more 'action' oriented FPS (Quake, UT etc). But with a tactical FPS like Ghost Recon, where sometimes slow precise action is needed, the system works great!

I like the 4x4 idea. We had something like that in mind (co-op vs enemy 'tangos' -- am I using the terminology right? heh) but not with this interesting 4-some spawning twist. I'll definatly pass this on to our designer when it comes time to start working on the multiplayer gameplay modes.

Thanks for the feedback. We are all very excited to do Ghost Recon justice on the n-Gage and can't wait to show off the fruits of our labour.

-MoOk

All of this looks incredible.

It reminds me of way back - when I had a copy of C&VG Summer Special with details of the first gameboy...(along with some other 'big' hitters like the 3DO and Neo Geo systems that were the next big thing then!) and I remember being amazed at the concept of mobile gaming.

Well...what a LONG way we have come in 8 years or so (10?) - the more detail I read of this, the more it amazes me.

Perhaps time to consider getting one of these gizmos....

I very recenlty purchased an nGage. I am being told that I am the only person in Wyoming that owns one. Well... there are so many people in Wyoming. The first title I picked up was Tony Hawk. Always a fan of the series, this game can be compared to that of "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3" on the PS2. It is absoulelty incredible and blows my mind that Nintendo did not beat Nokia to it. However, I for the life of me, cannot figure out the phone part of the nGage. My apprecition to Mr. Mattes for your interest in the gaming community. I believe that there, unfortunatly, is not enough of this today.

I, like the others in the community, would like to see Siege, or something similiar to it, in the game. I look forward to hearing the devlopment of this game, and I am surprised to hear that it is coming out. My hopes it does not end up like GR2 and we always expect it but never see progress. (Please others, correct me if I am wrong about GR2).

Josh

Edited by phantoms_shadow

Assasination - its a favourite game mode, two teams play with one member of a team being a general who must be assinated by the other team, the generals team has to defend him, once the general is dead or once the offending team is dead the game ends.

Edited by Aussie_Terry

Assasination - its a favourite game mode, two teams play with one member of a team being a general who must be assinated by the other team, the generals team has to defend him, once the general is dead or once the offending team is dead the game ends.

Ya assasination is fun but not to many people know about it i don't think because its a mod. You explained it well. BUt whenever i run it people love it and ask were they can get it. It was made by Major Player, so if i'm correct, u'd need his approvel to use it. because it was his idea. I"m still young so i don't know all these laws and what-not. Heres his site too if your interested.

Hello All,

I am working with MoOk at Gameloft and I am the main game designer of Ghost Recon on nGage. I'd like to thanks everyone who's participating to this discussion.

I like the idea of the 'assasination mode'. Althought, I have some question for you guys. First, how the "general" is determined? Pre-game or in-game? Selected by the host or with a voting system?

We'll have a Siege/Defend mode for sure. Do you prefer defending your base from AI controlled enemies or human controlled? Maybe would you like to be able to select one of both in the pre-game setup screen?

Thanks for the feedback,

Alex C.