Add Or Remove Programs

KRP 56

I've got a couple of GR mods that you can't remove this way. When you click to remove them it says Could Not Load Intialization File. I can delete the file manually but it still shows up in the add or remove programs list. Is there any way to remove these from the add or remove program list ?I've got XP op.sys.

Once the folders are removed, you will just have to live wth the entries in add/remove programs.

Or do a System restore back to before they were installed.

The mods I'm talking about are still there folders and all including an uninstaller which doesn't do anything yet when I click to remove the mod it gives you Could Not Load Intialization File. :wall: So is system restore the only answer ?

Don't be so aggressive! I personally deactivated the system restore function.

There are 2 ways to do it:

1) use the regedit and look for the string "mod title" then delete it manually

2) use an utility to manage the registry such as regcleaner

You can delete the mods, but the listing will remain in add/remove programs even though the files are gone.

To clear them off of that, the only answer I know is a system restore.

There is a program called "Tune up Utilities" that will allow you to delete entries from the Add/Remove list. I think it has a free 30 day trial. Not to mention it does some nice tweaks to your computer to make it run faster and to clean it up. :thumbsup:

Woh!! No need for drastic measures!

Add/Remove in windows is not a very efficient way of removing files and is buggy, for that reason there are several tools that doa better job, and some that let you remove items from that list, when you know the app is gone, but the listing remains.

I am sure the tweakui utility you can download from Microsoft lets you select items and remove them from that list. I hjave done it in the past, it is very easy when you have the right tool, try and find that tool on the microsft site, or any xp tweak site.

Interesting... I've never used a special tool to remove listings from the add/remove list. There is a way to do it through windows explorer. I am not at home, otherwise I would write out the steps. If this information is still needed when get home tonight, I will post how here.

Thanks for the info guys. :yes: I'll see what I can do with what what you told me. Strange thing is that I've downloaded another mod from this person then clicked on his uninstaller and it told me I was about to remove a different mod of his. :wacko:

Strange thing is that I've downloaded another mod from this person then clicked on his uninstaller and it told me I was about to remove a different mod of his. :wacko:

That is a different issue, that happens all the time with GR mods. No matter what windows says the mod is - it will actually uninstall the last mod you installed.

I think that's what happens....

Here's the hard way....

[url=http://groups.google.com/groups?

Just finished KOing those 2 entries this way which was pretty easy since I have used the Registry Editor before but I didn't know where the list was for the add or remove programs. :thumbsup: Thanks Rocky for finding an easy way to take care of my useless listings. :yes:

Edited by KRP 56