HX5 : Red Sun Download URL

Ravenmouth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red Sun Modification is a good start to something, but frankly the missions are filled with bugs. I've only found one mission that I really like so far after going through it and picking it apart.

The programmers tried to do things with Ghost Recon that the game simply wasn't made for. Riding in helicopters and boats is a nice idea, but the Ghost Recon engine isn't made for it and therefore it has many bugs.

Some of the missions will be fruitful though after I go through, tamper with them and get all the bugs out.

:)

I really wanted to like this mod (thought HX4 was very good) but I have to say I was disappointed on the whole.

The Good: Innovative use of vehicles and additional animation tricks to heighten sense of interaction. Adds a new dimension to the playing. A few nice extra weapons.

The Bad: Mostly lackluster mission scripting with some really non-sensical elements thrown in. Too often haphazardly textured maps that had a terribly unifinished and rough look to them (the last map was by far the worst - the building textures made no sense at all, as did the mission itself) Squirrely behavior on saving/loading missions resulted in frequent CTD's throughout the game.

Since I think the Frostbite mod 'raised the bar' for mission inventiveness, well-thought out plotline and excellent map design and earned a "10" here, I have to give HX5 a '5'

Im happy that people create mods, but I dont see the point in releasing mods that only frustrate people. This mod is so full of bugs that it should never be released without a LARGE warning. The download is a waste of time and bandwidth.

The ONLY good mood I have ever seen is Frostbite - I would actually gladly have paid for that one, since it is just as good as Desert Siege and Island Thunder expansions.

I hope to see more mods like Frostbite around.....

Im happy that people create mods, but I dont see the point in releasing mods that only frustrate people. This mod is so full of bugs that it should never be released without a LARGE warning. The download is a waste of time and bandwidth.

The ONLY good mood I have ever seen is Frostbite - I would actually gladly have paid for that one, since it is just as good as Desert Siege and Island Thunder expansions.

I hope to see more mods like Frostbite around.....

:angry: First off...you have a VULGAR callsign...and it MAY be offensive to some people.

Secondly, ALL mods have some bugs when they are released. It's just part of the deal. The community can help modders by pointing out the specific "bugs" and patches can be made to take care of them. Saying that something is "so full of bugs" is not helpful to anybody...

Harntrox spent months of his life creating exciting gameplay scenarios/tools. The least you could do is try and be more respectful to the modder. Without people like Harntrox, we would all still be playing the original stock missions (More likely..none of us would still play GR)...

:angry:

Very well put enforcement.

As far as your remark of frosbite you will find that it also had its fair share of bugs and was patched 3 times since it was released. And on another note with frosbite alot of harntrox's and the rest of the =DRAG= modworks team was included in frostbite from HX4.

You say that HX5 is full of bugs then you might want to check the offical site for possible info on work arounds and the offical support forum for reporting these bugs. you will find both at Dragmods.org

Edited by BOA_ELF

Completed objective on the 1st mission ( sp),ez was show ( during the game), before objective was completed,go to EZ,but couldn't extract. :wall: (Helo was not shot down). What's the deal? Also went to their website ( above address) registered so I could ask this question there,but was always asked to login (couldn't login). Even sent an email,but have yet to recieve a reply.BUT,I do like the mod,even with it's "bugs" :thumbsup:

Claymoar...............Harmless................until...............Detonated!!!!

As far as your remark of frosbite you will find that it also had its fair share of bugs and was patched 3 times since it was released. And on another note with frosbite alot of harntrox's and the rest of the =DRAG= modworks team was included in frostbite from HX4.

I just wanted to point out that the majority of work contained in the Frostbite patches were not bug fixes. We only had the issues with the sounds because we had tried to lower the download file size of the mod to help accomodate the 56kers out there. We had issues with some Asian computers who could not read Norwegian alphabet characters. I honestly recall only a couple minor issues with maps and mission scripting that needed to be addressed, these were so minor in fact as to include things like the date on a mission. One of the patches was mainly only released in order to enhance the MP aspect of the mod by adding new character options and skins. Other things in the patches were game enhancement things like making some of the weapon models look a little better(thanks Wolfsong), and the amazing new sounds for the new weapons(thanks again Don Miguel).

I also wanted to point out that, yes, mission types from HX4 were included with Frostbite. These were graciously and thankfully allowed in the mod but were not an actual part of the Frostbite mod itself.

The community can help modders by pointing out the specific "bugs" and patches can be made to take care of them. Saying that something is "so full of bugs" is not helpful to anybody...

I myself have had seen too many bugs in the HX5 mod. I cant even play it without CTDs and other problems. For me, its hard to even begin to list them specifically because I dont even understand what may be causing them, other than I try to play and at some seeminlgy random points I get CTDs. The mission scripting I imagine is quite complex and most of the community would fail horribly at trying to pinpoint the cause of such problems. This is what play testing is for, before the mod is released.

There are obviously many things that were left unfinished in even the basic cosmetics of the mod, command maps for instance on the maps. Instead of actual command maps we were given the generic ones created in IGOR. It just seemed shortcutted to me in obvious places, this leads me to believe that the shortcutting may have extended throughout the mod and with the evidence of the constant CTDs, I dont know what else to believe.

Its difficult to appreciate a mod that you cant play, Im sorry guys, I appreciate and understand the work put into it but what can I say

Edited by sleeper

This is a pretty good map but a few things are realy annoying me.

Like the guys that I can't even see, because of the distance, are able to pop me off. One shot no less.

On the map which is suppost to be a Turkish city with the arms dealer, it's stupid trying to play single player. When the turkish forces engage they show up on the map randomly, and they are far to accurste. Ever time it's been a one shot kill from who the heck knows where. I can't use multiple teams becuase the other teams get killed instantly. Not to mention the civilans that kill my guys, if they bump into them, with a baseball bat. Who knew you could kill Delta forces with baseball bats?

I like how the bad guys are never in the same place though. And the motorcycles where a nice touch.

Any tips on getting through the turkish hell zone?

HX5-6 Black Tower walkthrough:

the allied civilian Kurds are green -- its the Turks who are killin' you and they will show up red because they are in sight of the green guys. the Kurds eventually fight the Turks with bats & knives in the streets. funny as hell when they get kills too :)

position some of your team to defend the Kurds 1st thing. then go get the hostage and take care of the arms dealer (shoot him in the foot. if you kill him its basically over -- like the briefing sez...) Then, rush the PKK leader's location with all teams simultaneously. Place demo there, extract, victory.

this is the 1st mission i have ever seen where your team doesnt just shoot everything that moves -- imagine that, actual 'recon' ? as the situation escalates things change based on your proximity to the Turks. avoid them like the briefing sez...(if you have always run on you will most likely be heard and the situation will escalate near the Turks -- be sneaky)

I have won this mission on vet in SP, but not elite. Like many missions in the mod, it is best to play coop online (with real humans to back you up) to make the most of the experience.

I cant even play it without CTDs and other problems...It just seemed shortcutted to me in obvious places, this leads me to believe that the shortcutting may have extended throughout the mod and with the evidence of the constant CTDs, I dont know what else to believe.

Perhaps if you read the thread you are responding to, (rather than 'shortcutting' your understanding of the subject), you would understand, firstly, that other people are not having the CTD and other 'problems' that you are. Quite a few ppl have already completed the campaign (albeit not on elite!).

The SP portion of the mod exposes less than 20% of the content. Have you even seen the other 80%, which is available only online in MP? It certainly doesnt sound like it by the experience you or the other complainers describe here. Sorry you missed out on the experience guys, theres a lot of people having fun with this mod. As you can see in this thread they did take the time to experience all of it, and enjoyed the hell out of it too. And still are. Check ASE lately ?

Its all good man. Im not an MP player myself, so I dont have any real opinion there. I guess I dont have much room to talk about a mod that was made primarily for multiplayer.

You have to understand that some people are going to expect a lot from you, youve set a high bar for yourself to maintain with all of your prior work. Someones always going to nit pick something, I hate it sometimes when people do it to me. I meant everything as constructive and was being as honest as possible as it related to my experience in playing your mod. We all have our opinions, sorry if mine came off the wrong way.

LoL its all good. I just hope when some (poor ######) takes the time to review the mod they play the whole thing ... that was a concern I had with your review.

It also sounds like you might have a DMA problem with a fragged HD and/or video driver problem as indicated by other users in this thread who changed their video driver and are having no more CTD's. This mod ups the requirements to about 200% of the original game. Especially that 1st mission, it keeps the HD busy! (Overclocking not recommended! Need lotsa memory for XP too.)

Everyone has the right to their opinion, but it is interesting to note that a lot of the 'complainers' as I call 'em seem to be those who are expecting 100% focus on single player and that just isnt the design of the mod. Also, you must admit, it's hard to take someone's opinion serious when they complain of random CTD's following 10 posts where people say they aren't having any CTD's, after a 3-month beta test with over 200 users who also reported no CTD's.

Which would explain why I haven't responded to certain posts in this thread (yours excluded, sleeper) ... its people like this those console thingies were invented for :-"