Vehicle animations

SnowFella

Well, as som of you might know I'm working on my first vehicle & have come across alittle question. I have planned the vehicle in question (far from complete) to have both a working rear door and some damage animations and now I'm wondering if this is doable? I know from reading El Oso's vehicle tagging guide how make and tag a door but how do I combine 2 different animations?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Snow

Combining two animations is easy, you select your first door, press auto key move the slider and then rotate the door around the pivot, then your second door you do the same and it will be two diffrent animations. Also I belive that to have working doors you must export it with the <ian> tag in. Like <n><body><ian>mymodel and <n><ian>mymodel

I knew the <ian> tag had some special purpose seen as its not used on the blackhawk but on tanks etc. I might have a little play with this, when animating a jeep for example think its possible to move the wheels around the o as well hx?

<ian> tags are also used for damage animation. Those tanks you saw, chems, could have damage animation in it.

I havnt myself played with this, but I have heard from sources that the problem with the <ian> tag is that it no longer treats the vehicle as an object so you can walk right through it in game. Can anyone confirm or deny this??

TheBlakeness (HotPants) aka SkyJockey ;) Is right.

<ian> tags are used for damage animation.. ie:- ^[d0]fire_large_type1 will give a large fire on the vehicle when shot and destroyed..

So when ^[d0]fire_large_type1 is grouped with <n><body><ian><tank> and its shot with an AT weapon... It will look like its on fire :rolleyes:

If you are going to add animation this is stored in the .anm files, Named the same as your .pob file... Look in the Ghost Recon/Data/Motion/ folder for the ones used in the game.

I havnt myself played with this, but I have heard from sources that the problem with the <ian> tag is that it no longer treats the vehicle as an object so you can walk right through it in game. Can anyone confirm or deny this??

Yes this is true :angry:

I had extensive test with the damaged models, ir the changing of one good model to a crashed model, that dont work and then I also had a go with ani and exporting them. THat worked fine. Oh well 50% sucess I didnt want the ani anyway I wanted the change to a damaged model. Seem the <dyn> is only supported on maps.

i have <dyn><glass> working in a variety of vehicles, grouped inside the <ian><body> group, which is inside the <ian>m35truck group for example. takes 10 shots to shatter the glass and kill the driver. adds gameplay challenge. fun :)

never messed with <dyn><door> on vehicles myself, tho.

-- h

You don't need the <ian> in the name for a death helper effect. That is not animation. Animation is when you keyframe geometry. Ever blow up the SAM? It has an animated death sequence. Someone should hex edit that vehicle to see what it is they are doing differently since we haven't figured out how to have collision on a damaged.pob

It does say in the level builder pdf at that that type of an animation gets saved as an .anm file and if you look in the "data/Motion" folder in GR most of the tank type of vehicles do have a dorresponding .anm file. The question is..how do you get it to save such a file??

And thinking about my preticular problem, creating both a keyframed damage animation and a key framed door animation would probably mean I would have to export my model twice...once with the damage animation and once with the door animation, correct??

Snow

Ive had windows work a treat, just tag it like a map window. Doors never got umm to work and the Pdf says that might happen. As for the ani on the SAM i got that to work. Just exported the ani named it right, also tagged the vcl with the <ian> and set the key frames when the body was tagged in the <n><body> set and the grouped it all and exported. As for fire etc you do that how shad allready said.

• 5 weeks later...