Martial Arts

cdnsniper

• 5 months later...

I study Wing Tsun Kung-fu, Wing Tsun is an updated version of Wing Chun,the difference is (1.) The spelling, and (2.) it is updated to be able to counter modern fighting styles (original wing chun was designed to be able to counter styles that you might encounter in ancient china i.e: shaolin kung-fu). I have been infatuated with this style for the last seven years.

There are no belts in Wing Tsun,it's like Bruce Lee said: "The only thing a belt is good for is to hold your pants up".

Anyway, I could talk for hours about martial arts theory but I'll stop there.

I share your enthusiasm sgt. slaughter, I have become interested in a style called Sumat Kali,it looks like a very cool style, there is a school where I live that teaches it, ever heard of it? It was featured in some movies recently i.e.:The Hunted,The Bourne Identity.

@sgt. slaughter: There is a lot of knife fighting in Kali, but there is an equal amount of hand to hand as well,the hand to hand stuff is very direct and unforgiving, that's why I like it, it resembles Wing Tsun a lot. I think we mostly hear about the knife fighting a lot because that's the way it is with most styles, every style has a weapons system in it and you hear about the weapons mostly because it is the most violent aspect of the style therefore gets the most attention, kind of like Ninjitsu, you rarely hear about the hand to hand aspects, at least I don't. Ya the belt thing in my opinion is silly, there aren't enough belt colors in the entire color spectrum to accurately measure the varying degrees of a person's mental,physical,and spiritual understanding of an art.

@Major Maximum:I have read Bruce Lee's:Tao of Jeet Kune Do,and you are right, it is very enlightening,I like it because it gets down to the roots of what is required to be an effective martial artist i.e.:emptying your mind,and not assuming your oponent is going to do this or that, but dealing with attacks as they come.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone here does any kind of martial art, self trianed or not, good or bad at it, don't matter :rocky:

I couldn't find it, but there is a discussion around here somewhere where the members post their Martial Art qualifications. I was surprised at the number of fairly highly ranked members we have, and the number of different styles.

Judo is my favourite and its the one i'm pretty good at.

But i tryed those as well:

Capoeira, Jiu-Jitsu (This one got famous after Royce Gracie wooped ass in the first UFC)...both brazilian

Boxing

Full Contact (There was a boom here in the late 80s/early 90s - when the first Van Damme movies got here... :lol: )

I love kicking/punching martial arts, but my bodytype (not so tall and strong) makes me better at grappling arts.

I am the original inventor of "dumbass fu", a combination of falling down, tripping, and running into stuff.

May i be your aprendice, Master?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edited by Sgt.Crocodile

Well, used to do judo, a few years back... funny story actually. The uhhh judoka, or err... little rusty... the teacher... guy... is one of those "holocaust deniers" Apperently, his opinion NOT mine, the holocaust is something the allies made up as an excuse to attack, the americans bombed their own boys in this one town (that according to my history buff brother, was never bombed once during the war), and that Hitler was actually a good guy. It wasn't his idea to kill, or even hate, the jews, that was someone elses idea that people thought was his. Also he thinks that jews really are bad people that did ruin germany.... funny stuff...

I have been reading The Tao of JKD and it's gotten me very interested in martial arts....I'm thinking of taking a class in either Tae Kwan Do or something else, Kung Fu maybe. What do you guys reccomend?

This may be a biased opinion but I would recommend the style that I take (Wing-Tsun-kung-fu), it was the first style that Bruce Lee was taught before he invented Jeet Kune Do (actually it is slightly different as you can see in one of my previous posts). It adheres to all of Bruce's theories about Martial Arts, in fact it was from Wing Tsun that he got most of his ideas, he was just responsible for letting the world know about them. As far as all of this business about forms and patterns and such goes: yes there are forms in Wing Tsun but these forms are merely guidelines, my teacher tells me to think of forms as an encyclopedia from which you can draw information when you are dealing with an attack. In no way do you want to start using only your form to defend your self, because that may not be where your opponent is attacking you. All of Bruce Lee's theories (he probably rolls over in his grave when we call them "his" theories) have merit and any Martial artist should should IMO incorporate them into his/her style no matter what type of Martial art they take. :)