Win XP + new mobo?

Stinger

I have decided to get an MSI Max SiS648 mobo for my pc. I read that is was "plug and play" and that to me at least

means you hook it all up and then you are pretty much okay. But I was talking to an IT guy today and he said that

Windows XP will not detect a new mbo automatically and I would have to reinstall WinXp...this true? I have XP Home.

Yep, I had the same issue with my new motherboard. It would stop midway through the Windows boot phase and then stop with a blue-screen error: 0x0000007B...which means Inaccessible_Boot_Device. Had to reformat and reinstall 2000. :wall: But it worked after that...

Edited by Dark Ranger

If you have a retail version of XP (not a restore disc) Then boot from Disc and choose the install option. Then choose the REPAIR INSTALLATION, this will allow you to change the mobo.. It will reinstall windows keeping all your settings programs etc as they are now.

All you will lose is your windows updates.

For stability reasons and so on, I'd just go ahead and reformat to get a fresh install. Your system will be much better off that way, eliminating a factor if something goes wrong. Also, you will need to install/update drivers. So read your mb manual.

Plug and Play is also known as Plug and Pray for obvious reasons :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I fo have a retail copy of XP now I would have to use RooKs trick to get it "activated" though. I think what I will do is buy the mobo and all the other stuff this Saturday and the following week. I will have it all bought and I will also buy a cheap $99 External 20GB HDD. That way I can load all my stuff onto it instead of 29 CD's. Sound good to you guys? I will be able to do it and all. I am gonna call and ask Microsoft if I format my HDD if they will help me "reactivate" it since I already activated my current copy. Strange though, I had to format the partition on my parents puter where XP had defaulted and installed then I added to the right partition, registered and had no probs...hmmm

Hmmm...I dont know how an Internal would work though...I couldn't put back all the data. And 289CD's aint a prob with cost but it is with time. I cant really do that I would go crazy. :blink: I will work on it and all but I dont see much of an alternative. I could do Shadow's idea I suppose. I still have to call Microsoft though.