Heatsink Joy

Dark Ranger

Figure it's about time for me to start a topic in here. :P

I have been using the ThermalTake Volcano 9 for the past 10 months. While it has been a decent cooler, I have wondered if another cooling solution existed that didn't rip your ears off during normal operation. Yeah, that is the disadvantage with a V9. At full speed, 4800RPMs, it sounds like a freight train passing in your immediate vicinity. Therefore, I had been running it around 3300RPMs, a trade off between efficient cooling and acceptable noise. But it just got to a point where I needed a quieter rig.

Ordered a new Zalman heatsink, model CNPS7000-CU. It's a pure-copper heatsink, paired with a 92mm fan. Appearence alone is enough to suggest it's a capable heatsink. It's unique "flower-shaped" design demands a second look. According to Zalman, the copper materials ensure excellent heat dissapation, as well as "Opti-Fin" technology allowing airflow to escape off the heatsink more efficiently than traditional models. Also noted, is Zalmans statement that the massive 92mm fan "does not generate noise or vibration in silent mode". Come to find out, Silent Mode is 20db @ 1350RPMS (0.27 Deg. C/W), and Normal Mode is only 25db @ 2400RPMS (0.20 Deg C/W). Normal Mode is also full-speed.

According to the reviews I've read prior to purchasing the heatsink, it mentions excellent heat dissapation, extremely-low noise, and lower temps than most heatsinks. That's all good, but there's got to be a down side. There is - its size. This heatsink will not fit on some motherboards, due to capacitors in close proximity, or interference from the power supply. Failure to be properly secured can be catastrophic - this heatsink (the all-copper version) weighs a hefty 773 grams, exceeding both Intel's and AMD's maximum recommmended weight limit. Zalman suggests extreme caution when moving the computer with the heatsink attatched.

After some careful measurements, I was 90% sure it would fit with my setup. Went ahead and ordered it from ZipZoomFly.com, my usual E-Tailer. Received it Wednesday, and proceeded to install it after I arrived home from work. Setup was pretty straighforward, though I had to actually remove the motherboard from the mounting plate for proper installation. To my satisfaction, it fit perfectly.

HSF.jpg

First thing I noticed upon boot-up was the lack of noise I was so used to hearing. Incredible. I'd say my entire system has gone down about 15db without the V9. Keep in mind I'm running at full-speed (2400RPMs) for maximum cooling. You literally have to place your ear within 10 inches or so to hear the fan spin.

Temps were nothing like I expected. Totally blew me away.

CPU Temps with Voclano 9:

Idle - 40C-41C

Maximum - 45C-46C

CPU Temps with 7000-CU:

Idle - 31C-32C

Maximum -

Splinter Cell for 2 hours straight, then Ghost Recon with all settings at maximum, AA @ 6X and AF @ 16X

Maximum CPU Temperature achieved was 34C!

Whether these temps are 100% accurate is debatable, but the ambient temp didn't change, airflow pattern didn't change, and the thermal transfer paste didn't change. The only thing that has changed is the heatsink.

I'm extremely impressed with this heatsink. Kudos to Zalman for engineering the "Quiet Cooling Solution". As I can obviously recommend it, I'd suggest you check your space restraints first, to avoid having to RMA the product. If this does tempt you, the CNPS7000-CU is compatible with Pentium 4 Socket 478 (both Willamette and Northwood CPUs), Athlon Socket 462, and Athlon 64 Socket 754.*

*For those of you that prefer a hybrid Copper-Aluminum heatsink, Zalman also offers the CNPS7000-AiCu. It's also a bit lighter, weighing 445 grams.

Zalman Website

Damn that thing is huge :blink: .......geebus...... time to bust out the tape measure.... ;).... if I have the room... I'll probably get the copper-aluminum one......my mom's gonna kick my butt..... first a CDRW drive, then a Radeon 9800 Pro.... now a new CPU heatsink..... all in one month that isn't even over :P.

Edited by NYR_32

Guest SI-Prozac

sounds good.... i just rock a cooler master

8758682.jpg

....and it hovering over a xp3200... tempture right now comp been on about 30 minutes

CPU 111.FC @ 3708rpm

System 93.F

It whistles when up to speed... some of my family says they dont like it its to loud.... but i love it :) has pci slot knob .... so u can pop a bracket out n the back and put the dial adjuster for the speed control... dont hear any whisteling around

114.F @ 2789Rpm.

Have to keep it up thoe.... most of the times in afternoon in florida it gets pretty heated up and cpu runs around 130.F

*edit*

Been playing RavenShield and listenign to lot of mp3s now for a couple of hours and tempture is.

CPU@ 116.F @ 3750rpm

System@ 96.F @1739rpm

House tempeture is just about 80.F

As for the sound.... besy way to discribe it is it sounds like a mini blow dryer...

Edited by SI-Prozac

Guest SI-Prozac

@Recon ..... not sure how you would... i bought a Asus A7N8X Deluxe so it came with asus utility called probe.... just installed it and it works...

If your really desperate you can pull up your bios when pc starts and find it in there.

@ [TCS]Recon,

Most motherboards these days have built-in diodes or sensors. They will keep tabs on the motherboard chipset temperature and CPU temperature, voltage fluctuations, as well as monitor chassis and power fan RPMs. You see the status with software installed in the computer - as Prozac mentioned, a "Probe" utility.

Break out your motherboard manual, if you have it. Look for some information on any software include with the motherboard. Most times, the Utility Setup will be located on the manufacturer's CD, along with OS Drivers. You can also check online. Just search the downloads/support section for any software updates to your specific model of motherboard. Often times, software utilities will be included in that catagory.

Also, check out this site for a utility called Motherboard Monitor. I have not personally used it, but I know people that have. Be advised, if your motherboard is an older model, it may not have the internal sensors to monitor temps and such.

I have just brought the CoolerMaster that SI Prozac pictures and mentions too. I wasn't displeased at all with the Stock Heatsink that came with my XP2400+ though as it was more than efficient. But, I also just brought a new MoBo too (an MSI KT6 Delta KT600) after getting more and more fed up with the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP that I posted about a week or so ago too lol, so decided what the hell, whilst I'm at it and the guts are out, I'll upgrade the H/S/F too :)!!

I mounted the controller knob for mine at the front of the PC (you can either have it at the back positioned in a PCI bay as mentioned, or there is a plate so that you can install it in a spare Floppy Bay too), I just preferred the front method personally as my Case sits in a cupboard and reaching round the back for adjustments as required would be a pain to say the least lol :)!!

It is a bit of a monster size wise admittedly, guess that's always gonna be the price you pay for extra cooling without getting a Water Cooling System though lol, and it's not like it really matters as long as it fits any individuals PC anyway and is within weight limits etc too lol!!!

As for cooling, glad I got it I have to say :)!!! Although Ambient temps are a darn sight less than Florida's here right now rofl, it's far more efficient than the Stock HSF supplied with the AMD XP's!! Temps so far with it are.....

CPU Idle (fan 2000rpm) 30 C

CPU hammered (fan 2000rpm) 34 C

CPU Idle (fan 3500rpm) 26 C

CPU hammered (fan 3500rpm) 30 C

.......which will do me damn nicely lol. That's with the Case in a cupboard too :)!!

Have to admitt tho, that @ 3500 rpm it is a noisy ###### and sounds like a quite Hairdryer basically rofl, but at around the 2000rpm mark it basically can't be heard above the standard 92 cfm fans at all, so unless I start to see increases then at 2000rpm it will stay, and at those temps I could actually let the fan drop to its minimum of 1500 quite readily too, but seeing as I can't hear it at 2000 rpm that's where it will stay anyway lol!! Those Temps probably will rise again next Summer here as expected, but at least I still have plenty of room for maneuvere for adjusting the fan speeds if necassary at least with it being in a cupboard cuts out a lot of the frequency noise too making it far less noticeable at speeds over 2500+rpm :)!!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

Heya Dark Ranger,

Yeh certainly impressed with it thanx m8, but to a certain extent it all becomes academic once you get down to a certain point anyway doesn't it lol, or at least I tend to think so rofl.

The next thing that we'll all be complaining of is that our processors are running too cold from the next generation of super efficient HSF's and thus not getting up to the most efficient operating temps hehehe :)!!! We'll be spraying bloody De-Icers on em or summat next <GRIN>!!!

For 80 degree ambient temps at your end, you're looking pretty damn good too m8 with those specs and bet ya impressed with the purchase :)!! As long as it works well for the person that buys it that's what counts the most as well :)!!

The question is also as you say. Would there be any point to getting a higher cfm volume fan for yours anyway lol?? Your temps are bloody brilliant to say the least, considering your ambient temps in Florida too and another tweak may only obtain you a 1 degree difference anyway lol??!!??!! When they are already that low, 1 degree really is purely academic hehehe!!

It's worthy of note that I nearly went for a Volcane too rofl, glad I didn't now and I had also never heard anyone comment on the noise they produced before either, (only on how efficient they were), but at least you have dispelled the myth for me on them too thanx m8 lol ;)!!

As it stands, my personal quest for decent cooling will end for the foreseeable future at least (at least for the CPU itself anyway lol), but even my system temp never gets over 25 C either, so I'm not worried about doing much more on that front at all myself anymore rofl, will just have to waste money on other gadgetry instead muhahaha ;)!!

TBH these days I'd prefer an efficient cooling system with properly reduced noise like you too m8, you've gone the right way in my book lol. If I'd have had to have this fan up at its max rpm's of around 3700 then I'd be singing a very different tune too rofl. Thankfully the gamble has worked so far at least (touch wood rofl)!!

LMAO Prozac hehehe :)!!

Well, gotta have some sort of "throttle to rev up" after I had to sell my Motorbike a couple of months back, (a much loved and missed Suzuki GSX-R 600). It's not quite the same obviously <GRIN>, but the withdrawal symptoms are just too much to take hehehehe. Now I can happily sit and Rev the CPU Fan instead. Doesn't quite make the same sweet noise of the Exhaust I had fitted to the bike either, but ya can't have it all can ya hehehe ;)!

Just installed my Zalman... got the aluminum-copper hybrid.... because knowing me I woulda crushed the CPU core with heavier copper one..... have had a 2-3 degree C drop in CPU temps......

With Intel HS

Idle 45C

Load 55C

With Zalman

Idle 40C

Load 50C

Oh well*sigh*....... at least my rigs alot quieter now.....