SA80 - Why, or why not?

Hath

The feature about the SA80 that MP players love is the quick closing ret. The rets close faster than any gun and it is fairly accurate. It is perfect for run and gun where you need the rets to close fast after a run. I play multiplayer exculsively and the SA80 is great for strafing around corners.

Personally I use the OICW/GL rather than the SA80 because of the grenades, it is a bit more accurate (rets close tighter but not faster), has a better scope, and it looks cooler :P

Almost everyone that uses the OICW and SA80 love them because of its great zoom or other items it comes with. (not too mention it shoots hella' fast)**

I myself am a burst or full auto first type person -

(although semi taps are fine with me - M14 ;);) )

and when I use the SA80 I dispense almost all my ammo within the first few minutes. Not on purpose mind you. :lol:

I'd much rather use a AK or MP5 :) or better yet a Z-84 with M136. :D

**of course there are exceptions

Edited by Zantar45

Weapon of choice when on Demo duty - beats crawling around with an MP5...

Normally though - it is too suited to burst fire tactics - as opposed to sngle accurate sots, which I usually require.

That's where my G36.223 comes in. Ahhh yes...like a fine wine.

The SA80 is a very good all rounder & it's definately the best weapon for demo guys (I hate that MM-1 :angry: ) If I want to use claymores etc. then I'll always take the SA80.

The OICW without GL is my first choice cos it has good stopping power & my style is more sneaking around & "one shot one kill" but because you can't use the OICW with hand frags I'll sometimes use SA80. :o=

I personally don't use either the OICW or the SA80 for many of the reasons listed above. It is just too good, and very unrealistically so. Stabilization time is much too quick, and personally I don't see, from a physics standpoint, a reason for it. Both the OICW and SA80 imo are "whore guns."

With either of the two you can get away with playing pretty sloppy, the gun makes up for it. This is why I prefer the FAL. Tougher to learn, but it definately has its advantages. Stopping power and accuracy are unmatched. For close range engagements the full-automatique mode isn't bad at all. For any of you who do flight sims, its akin to flying a P38 or FW190 rather than a Spitfire.

Personally I'd like to do an audit of most of the weapons in game, their stats, from a physics standpoint. Calculations shouldn't be too hard. Recoil is determined by the momentum function, stabilization time probably off the torque that the gun generates. Kill co-efficient off muzzle energy and inertia, though I have yet to figure out what the two actual numbers mean, maybe I should take a look in IGOR.

Funny...I used FAL last night in Multiplayer.

Game 1 - 5 Kills - Accuracy 57%

Game 2 - 7 Kills - Accuracy 47%

Game 3 - 4 kills - Accuracy 43%

Survived each game too...But thats just 1 night ouf of a hundred that i've played GR.

And personally, I think the SA80 and OICW are good guns for people who cant handle a challenge.

Camel, your comments suggest that using the SA80 or OICW in Mp gaming is essential to surviving. I completely beg the differ.

Edited by Burke

Yea I've been doing pretty well with the FAL in multiplay, both TEAM and COOP, and I haven't even played in like half a year or more. Takes a bit more skill to use. Don't need an OICW or SA80 at all.

I personally don't even know why the OICW was put in game. It's not standard issue at all, if anything maybe its undergoing field trials now, but only very recently has it been semi-finalized.

Every other gun in game that I can think of has been or is standard issue.

Wish that the L1A1 as used by the British Army in the 70s-80s was in game, included a 30 round magazine (as opposed to 20) and a reflex scope. Then again that could just dominate without too much difficulty, like the OICW and SA80 do now.

I Started on the SA80 back when it first came out and its was just too easy too get kills all day! So far the past year or so i moved on to other guns that make the fighting of even in play for me has gone too the

M4 with Frags :o=

But remeber this if im haven a very bad day and im getting beat down i do pull out the SA80 from time too time but just long enough too get even! :devil:

And personally, I think the SA80 and OICW are good guns for people who cant handle a challenge.

To go slightly OT here but make a point:

Schumacher aint an F1 great of the post-war era just because he drives a Ferrari. The F2002 was literally streets ahead of BMW and Renault. I didn't hear many accuse the German of being a fraud however - and shirking the challenge. With or without the best car - he is one of the greatest of recent years.

Your logic is BS.

I use the SA-80 on occassion if the mission suits it and the rest of team are balanced. I can also handle a challenge.

Don't simply denounce a soldier by his weapon. A good soldier will put a hole in your head with an SA-80 not just because he has an SA-80...but because he's a good soldier. There's a lot more to GR than what's on the end of your trigger finger.

:ninja:

A good soldier will put a hole in your head with an SA-80 not just because he has an SA-80...but because he's a good soldier. There's a lot more to GR than what's on the end of your trigger finger.

A good player will adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of whatever weapon he is using. Having said that, if two players of equal skill are going head to head and one is using a weapon with better stats than the other, the former player obviously has an advantage over the latter. To what degree depends on the stats, but it is an advantage none the less.

In My Humble opinion & Good soldier would pick the best tool for the job before he goes into battle. :ph34r: not useing a weapon because it's "To Good" is a lame excuse to inflate one ego. I say use what you feel comfortable with.

Every game I play online I look at the map Type, visibility, Game type, Team numbers, length of match bla bla bla Taking everything into account & then I pick the very best weapon available for the job. often it is either an OICW or SA80 because there very good on alot of maps & game types, but I don't always use them. If another weapon is better suited then I'll use that.

Just because you can rack up a shed load of kills with a handgun dosn't mean your great at GR & every body should bow before you. It's about haveing fun (It's a game) :thumbsup:

I sometimes play with funny kit restrictions or different weapon kits where the OICW & SA80 are either not available or arn't the best option so I just use the best thing that is available (& that can include pistols) :o=

Indeed, Snake. And that is why you will never find me with either weapon. I like to play with something that forces me to play smart, has no room for sloppiness. More rewarding in the long run, more impressive, and if I did somehow wind up playing with say an OICW I'd be that much more on top of the game because of practicing with a harder rifle.