Mouse, Track Ball, or ?

Sgt Rock

I use a track ball while playing GR. It's a Microsoft one, and it has both pros and cons:

pros:

- the track ball I use is controlled by the index finger, so no no hand fatigue

- has the ability to program the buttons to zoom/unzoom, and can scroll

- don't run out of mouse pad

- you can "spin" the ball to turn around quickly

cons:

- hard to move the reticule in very small increments - the point of the reticule jumps a round a little.

- the ball gets sticky - not gooey sticky, but hard to move occasionally. I've found that no matter how well I clean the ball and the ball holder, this is a constant problem.

I'd like to get some opinions - what do people use, what brand, and what have they tried and not liked?

Grebyte

:wall:

Well I use the Logitech MX700 and it rocks in my oppinion. I have absolutly nothing bad to say about this mouse. No cord in the way and if the battery runs out the reciver quickly recharges from zero to full in 2 hours. The battery lasts atleast one week with lots of use. When it tells you (with a litle red light on the mouse) that the batt is low it can still run 2 hours with no probs.

:o=

Edited by Raven[BAD]

Personally when ever I tried to use a trackball just in normal use I went nuts.... so I've always used a mouse... currently I'm using a MS Intellimouse Optical.... with 5 buttons.... i had to replace my old 2 button so I spent alittle more so I could map keys in GR to it :thumbsup: ....... I love it:wub:.... all my weapon stuff I can do with my right hand and movement I can do with my left.... not to memntion it looks cool too :P

,Sep 19 2003, 14:41 ] Well I use the Logitech MX700 and it rocks in my oppinion. I have absolutly nothing bad to say about this mouse. No cord in the way and if the battery runs out the reciver quickly recharges from zero to full in 2 hours. The battery lasts atleast one week with lots of use. When it tells you (with a litle red light on the mouse) that the batt is low it can still run 2 hours with no probs.

:o=

WHAT !

I did try it but it is way to heavy (even the mx500 is). It is perfect for some office/design work, but for gr or other fps, the must remains the lightest possible mouse IMO. Allows you to turn and point way faster...

concering the lost track ball, well... :D

i use a laser mouse, there great, they never need cleaning or anything, no stickness or ne thing, mine also has a wheel thingy in it for zooming in, and its get a red ligh that comes from the bottom whenever u use it. Its also good because you don't need a mouse pad, and it work great for GR! if you looking into buying a mouse, i suggest getting one like this!

DS22

MS Optical Trackball & a Belkin Speedpad.

Used trackballs ever since I discovered Doom 12-13yrs ago. Was a logitech Wingman back in those days. I've tried different mice but never felt comfortable with them.

The speedpad is an absolute godsend. I know it's a piece of kit that has widely differing views but for me it's perfect for fps.

Ok, first off, wireless mice are quite possibly the worst things in the world. Ive tried wireless with Microsoft and Logitech, and both feel like they "lag" a little, even with adjusted settings.

IMO, optical mice that aren't wireless is the way to go. I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse, which is optical and it plugs the PS/2 mouse port, or I can plug it into a USB port. Five buttons and a scrolling wheel.

cmhdMousingDevicesAllMicrosoft_IntelliMouse_Optical-resized200.jpg

Thats what it looks like. Plus, you can pick it up for around $20, which is good. :thumbsup:

Edit - As for a mouse with a track ball, most likely case is that it's dirty.

Edited by Crimson

Been there done that with every mouse you can think of. Bought the most expensive there is......and then have returned them all. Using about a 12 year old logitech trackball, fore finger ball with 3 buttons. I will never play with anything else but it.

I found that the microsoft track balls do tend to get sticky, not even a cleaning will fix it...they just dont feel as well put together as the logitech track balls.

To each their own...GG's

Acrox 800dpi optical mouse with cool inner lit centre scrol button - green for 400dpi, oange for 600dpi and glows red hen on 800dpi. Got 2 hip uttons for additionl functionality and as smooth and accurate as any I've used.

Took a bit of getting used to when i recently upgraded from old all mouse - but optical is the way to go for sure.

I played with a Logitech trackball since '90, and it just gave up the ghost on me 2 weeks ago. Got an MS trackball, but will be replacing with Logitech when I get some cash. The MS doesnt feel right, but it was all I could get at the time.

Trackball all the way. No hand fatigue, and no running out of mouse pad. :thumbsup:

Moving to proper forum.

Trackball all the way.  No hand fatigue, and no running out of mouse pad. :thumbsup:

:huh: I dont get it. How do trackballs have anything to do with hand fatigue, and running out of mouse pad? :blink:

I guess it depends on if you have acute Carpal tunnel or not, and the size of your desk for resting your arm on. I know alot of people that cant use mice once they have used a trackball. For many just using a thumb or finger is the way to go.

I use a Logitech Marble Mouse Trackball, finger control with 2 switches. I think that the biggest thing is to use it for a couple weeks to get used to the new method. I much prefer using it for FPS, as i can spin around 180 deg. with a flick of the finger, instead of a roll-pickup-moveback-setdown type of maneuver. Only thing bad is not having zoom...

if you are bored, check out my weapons info:

http://www3.telus.net/miklogik/ghostrecon/tutorial

http://www3.telus.net/miklogik/ghostrecon/kits.htm

http://www3.telus.net/miklogik/ghostrecon/charts.htm

Cheers!