When Jester wrote his article about the
lost helicopters of Ghost Recon I
realised how much I wanted to work out the mystery myself.
I have failed, but this is what Ii have
worked out and tried to do, to save other modders from trying
the same thing.
Firstly, a success.
To make a vehicle fly through the air, firstly
edit it to being a helicopter (use IGOR for this). Place it
on a point of high land and make it follow a path to any point.
Let's say, on Caves, start the tank or humvee at a cliff edge
and make it fly over your men by setting it a path.
1) To make a helicopter modeled as a gun
- but bigger than the person that holds it so that he is engulfed
- This part worked, what didnt work was the fact that a man
will NOT walk off a cliff, even if you open up the mission
and change the Z coordinates for the players to like 10m above
the ground, they will still be on the ground at the designated
level. (coordinates for paths are in x,y,z where x is the
position on the x axis away from the centre of the map, y
is the same but on the y axis, and z is in metres above 0m,
not about current ground height).
2) To make a tank with a weapon set as the
helicopter "gun" file
- When i was looking at the tank i saw things refering to
the 50cal MG that it carries, and thought that maybe the tank
model was afffected by carrying a model of the 50cal MG -
since that gun file refers to the model. I tried making the
tank carry a helicopter, but to no avail.
3) To make a tank vehicle (POB) be refered
to the helicopter 'gun' (QOB)
- Ghost Recon just crashed out to the desktop,
this was a veign attempt to make a tank look like a helicopter
but refering to it as a gun instead.
4) To make a POB by cutting out the QOB
3d code and pasting into existing POB
- Again, no luck, but worth trying to see
if at least the 3d model would show up.
5) To decode the POB format
- I tried but again to no avail, so i guess we are waiting
for plugins :)
6) To export as a POB file from POV (Persistance
- This program claimed to load POB files, of course, these
were very different POB files! :)
All my attempts were to make a helicopter
that would FLY BY the map, not to use as troop transport.
The fact is, for all those people who thinks a modder is capable
of this, Isincerely believe that using helicopters as troop
transport is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible.
My conclusion is that we - the
community - must wait for the release of POB editing
tools, if not plugins for 3dsm, before the ability to even
make a helicopter as a vehicle is explored.