Remake GR on a new engine?

twcrash

What would it take to get the great modders and minds that have brought us some of the best expansion packs and missions to GR to build GR in a new engine? I know you all could do it. I cant code a damn thing but I can donate and I am sure you could get alot of support to do it. I mean that is what we want right? a "new" Ghost Recon. Think of it as a HD version. I mean Lightspeed has built GR for ArmA 2. So how bout it? do you all think you can do it and what would you need? Tinker? Apex? Riley? Alex? and anyone else who has those kind of skills? Instead of working on a limited engine why not see what you can do?

Think about it. Doesn't cost a damn thing to try other than your time.

Unity3D:

Blender Game Engine

XNA Game Studio 4.0

[media=]

CryEngine 3 IndieDB site:

http://www.indiedb.c...nes/cryengine-3

http://www.indiedb.c...e-tech-showcase

Cryengine U.S. Army Dismounted Soldier Training Simulation

Edited by twcrash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be more reasonable to make a huge expansion pack for GR1, although completely remaking it would be pretty neat. Of course people have already tried to do the massive community expansion pack before and it failed because people don't seem to stay together long enough to see it through.

LOL at the end of the bathroom demo it says 2008.

This would be quite an undertaking but it would definitely be fun.

The amount of work you are talking about here is insane. It's more or less completely impossible to organize something like this over the web. You also need good coders, animatiors, 3d artist and so on, and there's just some few people here who really know this. Just forget the whole thing and enjoy the mods for GR1 and GRAW2, they'r as close you will ever get.

Btw; keep your eyes open on the Graw2 mod forum, something cool will probably show up soon! :fingersx:

Aren't you the optimist. BS Paladin made a whole mission by himself, surely all of us together could do something. Anyway, I think you think we're trying to make a whole commercial game or something, that's not how I took it. I thought this would just be a neat project to make a fun game. I'm having fun just messing around in the CryTek editor right now, but most of it is way beyond me. I guess I started out in IGOR like that, maybe in a few years I'll get something going good.

The amount of work you are talking about here is insane. It's more or less completely impossible to organize something like this over the web. You also need good coders, animatiors, 3d artist and so on, and there's just some few people here who really know this. Just forget the whole thing and enjoy the mods for GR1 and GRAW2, they'r as close you will ever get.

Btw; keep your eyes open on the Graw2 mod forum, something cool will probably show up soon! :fingersx:

I think it would be easier done than you want to believe. Especially the fact we aren't talking about reinventing the wheel. We are talking making a newer version of it. You know, instead of wooden wagon wheels we want some Centerlines lol. But seriously I have faith in the GR community. Look at what modders have done with less.

did you watch the Unity3d game making tutorials? the guy walks you through making a game from the ground up and I have played witha few engines like Build and Novalogics and if you took the time it looks easier to use.And yes Paladin DID make a awesom elooking level using UDK I believe so it can be done and modders do it everday. I mean you can go down the list of mods that became games. Urban Terror, Nexuiz, Team Fortress Forever, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, Iron Front Liberation 1944 (new one using ArmA 2 engine). And also there are TONS of already made content for alot of these engines. You can go into the UDK forums and people have posted source code for you to freely use. here is that Unity3D video:

[media=]

Edited by twcrash

I've played with Unity a bit and it is indeed very easy to get up and running. The main problems for an FPS is that the network code is pretty poor. It's just not anywhere near what other engines provide. And for single player, the AI and even basic pathfinding is pretty lacking. They'll get there eventually, and maybe Unity 4 is better, but in v3 it's just not there yet.

I think if you want to see something like this, then modding an existing game is the only realistic way to make it happen. Even using an off-the-shelf engine, building a new GR from the ground up wouldn't be much easier than building it the first time, and that took dozens of full-time people many months to put together.

Aren't you the optimist. BS Paladin made a whole mission by himself, surely all of us together could do something. Anyway, I think you think we're trying to make a whole commercial game or something, that's not how I took it. I thought this would just be a neat project to make a fun game. I'm having fun just messing around in the CryTek editor right now, but most of it is way beyond me. I guess I started out in IGOR like that, maybe in a few years I'll get something going good.

Creating a small mod would offcourse be possible and as you say the Crytech editor is probably your best bet. Still, if you want to make it play anywhere near to OGR you need to code. Alot! On top of that you probably need new characters, objects, animations, sounds and so on and this is where you will get the problems...

I dont see a relevance of either on the project actually they arent building it for us. Just look into it is all

I would say Ground Branch is being built for exactly the original Ghost Recon fans and I would bet John Sonedecker would say the same thing.

I dont see a relevance of either on the project actually they arent building it for us. Just look into it is all

I would say Ground Branch is being built for exactly the original Ghost Recon fans and I would bet John Sonedecker would say the same thing.

That is where we disagree. But do us a favor keep the GB lovefest to their own topics. Unless you wanna contribute to the discussion here on a real community based alternative please use the GB threads for gb discussion. Anyways. I also looked at the Unreal kit and they have a HUGE library of premade stuff you could possibly use instead of building everything from scratch. I also found various people who build stuff for the community to use.

Here is a set of First Person Shooter Animations for you all. You will have to cut em up yourself but its free...Enjoy

http://www.4shared.com/file/1KM7vnpm/FPSC_Character_Anims.html

Basically the animations are made with 3DX MAX 2010 so they are in fact BIPED. I did however managed to use them with CAT in 3DS MAX as well. but with any kind of model that has a skeleton you can use BIP animations on it

Here is a Resource site I found in like 2 seconds...

http://udkresources.com/

So I think you could build it with items already made in the community.

maps can be build using the included terrain builders in most of these engines.

And I am sure the community has premade levels already done we could import as well. Like I said takes a little research.

Edited by twcrash

Here is a set of First Person Shooter Animations for you all. You will have to cut em up yourself but its free...Enjoy

http://www.4shared.c...cter_Anims.html

You should Sign Up or Login to download this file

Anyone have access to grab these files and make them accessable?/

http://www.mediafire.com/?129fb2kk3alf648

there ya go

This could be done in Cryengine SDK. But it would be wrong to do a simple HD update.

Most non organic models could be done in sketchup for free. If this is a free project then you can use alot of assets that come free with cryengine including some great vegetation packs. So much so that maps like Tank from DS could be replicated in a few days.

Animations, character and weapon models will be the most time consuming. Scripting missions should be easy. You will need a C++ coder to add co-op and squad controls/commands. Plus you will need a flash guy to use scaleform to do the menus and PDA control system.

AI behaviour and sounds integration are easy in cryengine. On top of that you could use the great particle system for weather effects, fires, explosions etc. Plus the weapon XML system has a ton of default options. More than a Ghost Recon remake would need.

A team of ten guys could get it done if they knew what they were at. But finding the 10 guys is the hard part.

That is the kind of info needed so we can build a consensus on. So we deal with what we have and work on it. I started watching some tutorials and seeing what I can learn from then so now i'll look into the cryengine sdk stuff. Always a wealth of info there Paladin. I think we could find some community based animations that were free to use. And maybe even some weapons as well. I'll take a look and focus the train of thought on getting more info involving CryEngine assets. Thanks again Paladin!

FYI here is a great site I found and a tutorial on how to make yourr own animations in cryengine 3! Part of an awesome site I found here:

http://www.justmakegames.com/

[media=]

Also found a pretty good textures website as well here:

CG Textures

CG Skies

Edited by twcrash

There are tons of weapons and free models to use online. Problem is texturing and animating them.

Here is a sample of models you have online for free.

t53ua9.jpg24qraqp.jpgvh3w3s.jpg

Also here is a terrain texture pack I made. It includes diffuse, specular, normal and displacement maps. All textures are parallax ready.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdwg2ywzheahgnc/Terrain%20Textures.rar

I must say that before you even attempt this you need permission from Ubisoft to make this game. Otherwise you will be swiftly dealt a cease and desist order.

It would be easier to make a Ghost Recon inspired game rather than a direct copy.

I dont think we are looking to rip off Ubisoft in anyway so a fan based remake is far from ripping off the game. I mean the name calling it Ghost Recon would be but they don't own the rights to things built with other engines.It would be a "spiritual" remake anyways not a carbon copy. And I never said to call it GR either. Due to copyrights you couldn't.

Edited by twcrash

You will need to have some clear differences between the remake and the original, no matter what you call it.

Anyway I will help with this if others are interested. I can do static models, seamless textures, terrain sculpting, particles ( ok, not great ), scripting and vegetation/object placements.

So we got a GR1 retexturing project going and now this! Good times for GR fans! :thumbsup:

If we could settle for a Mac-compatible engine (e.g. UDK/Unreal Engine 3) then I'm in. Hear nothing but good things about it and there's a plethora of information and assets out there. Have a look at its ModDB page for impressions.

It's free for non-commercial use and allows development for Windows, Mac OS X, and even iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch).