Did anyone figure out how to disable death text messages?

Did a bit of searching and found no answers aside from covering the entire font file in an alpha channel. I was prepared to live with that until I realised it even affected the main menus!

So, are these messages hardcoded or is there another way?

After a bit more searching I've realised that it's the strings.res file you need to edit to get rid of these strings.

The problem is that I want to get rid of the mutliplayer kill strings which reference the player name, the string goes like this:

<player name> has eliminated <enemy name>

Using a hex editor I can get rid of the 'has eliminated' text by replacing it with spaces, but I can't seem to overwrite the <player/enemy name> without the game refusing to start. Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated :)

I'm working on doing that right now for my mod. Very tricky, you have to keep the number of characters exactly the same. I keep getting the no start deal, but someone got it to work in the Sniper Armory 3 mod I think, or one of those sniper mods. If you can't fix it, ask permission to use his strings.res file.

I'm working on doing that right now for my mod. Very tricky, you have to keep the number of characters exactly the same. I keep getting the no start deal, but someone got it to work in the Sniper Armory 3 mod I think, or one of those sniper mods. If you can't fix it, ask permission to use his strings.res file.

Hmm, seems we are stuck at the same point. As far as I can tell it is a series of dots in the res file which somehow reference player and enemy actor and it really doesn't like them being ovetwritten; even as you say maintaining file length.

I do have that mod but the messages still show up. Do you have another mod that achieved it?

Either way, its good news if somebody managed it!

I asked Zeko about this since he did it before, but after I couldn't get it he tried it and he couldn't get it to start up.....I am hoping this doesn't have to do with being patched to 1.4. I can still edit lots of other things. Maybe we're just overwriting too much or too little? :hmm:

From the Sniper Cannon 3 description:

-No more "red" messages on the top of the screen from your team also in SP - youll only hear them

I asked Zeko about this since he did it before, but after I couldn't get it he tried it and he couldn't get it to start up.....I am hoping this doesn't have to do with being patched to 1.4. I can still edit lots of other things. Maybe we're just overwriting too much or too little? :hmm:

From the Sniper Cannon 3 description:

-No more "red" messages on the top of the screen from your team also in SP - youll only hear them

Interestingly enough, it seems some of the dots that govern the <player> tag aren't in use; looking at offset 0x0001dcdc, I can overwrite the rows 04 05 and 06 without any change, and gr still works. Anything beyond that and it takes a dump. Will continue working on it though, there must be a way around it.

I had a look at SC3, pretty nice how it turns off the singleplayer messages, I will take a look at how he did that...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Removing the kill confirmation (both on-screen text and voice) requires silencing all relating sound files t(m/f/1/2/p)_enemy_killed_generic(1-5).wav, removing the contents of <ActorName> tags in enemy actor files opposing_force_(desert_/jungle_)(0-x).atr, and overwriting the corresponding text strings (e.g. " has eliminated ", IIRC) in the STRINGS.RES file with blanks.

For multiplayer it gets more tricky, as the chat would still be spammed with the name of the player that did the killing. I experimented with this, but don't recall the outcome at the moment. Will have to check back on this.

That's why I said:

[...]overwriting the corresponding text strings (e.g. " has eliminated ", IIRC)[...]

Meaning that this is ONE of the strings that needs blanking out.

This doesn't make sense to you? And my post doesn't help you at all in getting rid of the messages then? :blink:

Or are you just trying to be obnoxious? <_<

• 1 month later...

Next to the things I mentioned before, you'll have to overwrite all onscreen kill messages in STRINGS.RES with a hex editor. Make sure to OVERWRITE not delete, otherwise the game won't launch (strings must be same size). You can overwrite with empty zero characters (hex 00) to avoid blank spaces on screen. This way you can disable all messages with the sole exception of player names (e.g. DefPlayr, MarkAm_I), so those will still show up on screen whenever you kill someone or are killed by someone.

Those remnants may not be pretty, but there seems to be no way around them, and it's still better than the usual constant screen clutter. Have a look at Heroes Unleashed to get the idea, as that removes as much of the messages as possible.

I don't know anything about HEX, 00 is like a Hex version of a blank space? About the multiplayer, remove your names for the coop and use voice, right? I'd rather be anonymous than see the kill messages, they just seem too unrealistic after having played notext for months.

A friend modded the notext coop for me and the only thing left is "has eliminated". I did a 'Find' search in the string.res opening it in wordpad to see if I can replace the text with an equal amount of blank spaces and that didn't work. If HEX editing programs are free, I'd like to be able to alter this file as needed so I want to learn how. Is it pretty simple to learn?

• 5 weeks later...

I appretiate all of the work that you guys have done in trying to figure this out! It looks as though there's no known way to totally eliminate death messages in co-op from what I can tell. Having any message at all is still a visual indicator that the distant enemy you fired at was actually killed as opposed to having gone prone which is the reason I would like to have the messages removed. Oh well ... small things!

-Doc

I appretiate all of the work that you guys have done in trying to figure this out! It looks as though there's no known way to totally eliminate death messages in co-op from what I can tell. Having any message at all is still a visual indicator that the distant enemy you fired at was actually killed as opposed to having gone prone which is the reason I would like to have the messages removed. Oh well ... small things!

-Doc

Yeah there is, I play coop without the text messages. I can't go back now that I have experienced this improvement. What text messages are you seeing? The notext mod that I'm using requires you to go through and edit the opfor files so the Actor name is removed for each one, but beyond that it works great.

What text messages are you seeing?

I get the usual "so-and-so has eliminated whoever" I'd love to be completely rid of those so that you can't tell that an enemy is dead or not just because he hit the ground when you shot at him. Anything at all showing up, even a period, would be an indicator that the shot resulted in a kill.

Again, this is only in co-op that I'm concerned since that's about all I play.

Thanks!

-Doc