Photo

Increase Partition Size

3 replies to this topic

#1 Dick Splash

Dick Splash

• Consultant
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have a physical HD which I partioned to 'C' and 'D'. There's only a few files on 'D' and I want to increase the size of 'C'. I've got 6GB's left and the drive only has the OS on it.

I'm using Vista 64 and I've tried to increase the 'C' drive using Computer Management, but the increase option is greyed out.

I've looked at a few forums, but I'm not sure which way to go.

DS

England has a fierce reputation for conquering the world.....invading loads of different countries and then getting upset when those people follow them home - Tommy Tiernan

#2 Zeealex

Zeealex

Ghost - 1st Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

i would say try to find a newer version of partition magic and see if it's compatible with vista, you might have some luck there.

armaniac_sig_by_zeealex-d7ysvbn.jpg
"If you feel truly passionate about something, you will gladly spend a lifetime pursuing it"
FEMAL3 status: Alpha 2. Excam Status: Being Refined

#3 Jody

Jody

Recruit - 2nd Class

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Get parted works, its free and easy to use.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
Stress is when you wake up screaming then you realise you havent fallen asleep yet...

#4 Dick Splash

Dick Splash

• Consultant
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

After much online forum search [some going back a few years] I found some consistency with some results and then took the plunge. Easy enough, just click on 'Start', right click on 'Computer', then 'Manage', 'Storage', 'Disk Management', then [in my case] right click on the 'D' drive and choose 'Delete Volume'. This changes it to 'Unallocated Space'. You can then increase the size of the 'C' drive. The latter can only be done as long as the newly unallocated space is to the right of the drive you want to increase. I increased it by 10GB and then renamed the unallocated space 'D'. This also works on Win7.

Partitioning a drive for me comes from advice given when I built my first PC as just having the OS on it's own drive would make the PC run faster. I don't know if this is necessary with today's hardware.

DS

England has a fierce reputation for conquering the world.....invading loads of different countries and then getting upset when those people follow them home - Tommy Tiernan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users